Do you find a tach necessary?

pawn

Over 1,000 Posts
A speedometer is a good gauge to have I think, but a tach? I have never had a problem not hitting redline on bikes seeing as how I've never been a sportbike rider. Since I'm on my build (been for the last two months now) I've pondered the gauges a bit. Should I keep them stock, get rid of them completely (most ideal aesthetically) or go with just a speedo with indicator lights. Regardless of the specifics on the bike, in general do you find the need for your tach, or to those that don't have em, do you wish you did?

I would want a tack over a speedo if I could just have one. I look at the tack alot. Depends on how you ride though. If you just gonna cruise, you probably dont need one.

gahi said:
I would want a tack over a speedo if I could just have one. I look at the tack alot. Depends on how you ride though. If you just gonna cruise, you probably dont need one.
that's what my buddy just told me. I guess I wouldn't really need a speedo here in Miami since you can always tell how fast you are going judging by the rest of traffic. I do know that I need to clean up my front end, and I would like an idiot light for neutral at least. Maybe a tach and a single led on the handlebar would be best.

I think some places require you to have a speedo. My tach is currently kaput and I miss it. My tach cable broke and they don't make aftermarkets for the the 450s so I'm watching fleabay. I plan on doing a speed run after I get my engine tuned but will not do it without a tach.

Here (Canada) you need a speedo for certification. If I could just have one I'd run a tach, as I'm way more concerned about my engine than I am how fast I'm going.

I may end up running both, if I find a deal on a matching tach some day.

run a tach and a little bicycle computer for the speed. They're pretty small, I'm going to put one on my xs, the stock speedo started bouncing so much that it was useless, then the aftermarket speedo started bouncing bad after only 3000 miles. The after market tach isn't much better. I guess you get what you pay for.

gahi said:
run a tach and a little bicycle computer for the speed.
Good idea. Did you go with something like a bell wireless that you can find at any major department store? Not too sure how acurate those would be really.
gahi said:
I guess you get what you pay for.
mind if I ask what aftermarket set you went with? I have been looking at the mikexs site for a tach.

that's where I got mine from. I would think the bicycle speedo would be just as accurate as anything. When you buy an autometer speedo, it uses a magnetic sensor. I would run one with a wire though, just piggy back the brake line down. I assume the wireless has a tiny little battery in the sender, just another one to replace.

either style requires a magnet mounted to the spokes then an opposite magnet to the forks (or wherever stationary but close to 2mm space between the spoke and magnet...) so that may not be a good option. I guess if I ever get a gps for my bicycle, I could just use it for my motorcycle as well. Maybe a garmin 305.

10000000% yes! i would rather that over the speedo! i use my tach to shift everything! hell on my harley i even wired up a led SHIFT light

I guess the first question is what sort of riding do you do? City or highway? Weekend race or cruising? I ride mostly highway/ some city. I don't run gauges at all, including neutral light and have a side mount oil pressure gauge. It let's me know when I'm warmed up an when I'm hitting redline. Of course, you have to look down, so kinda unsafe for use while moving unless you on a straight away/highway and you can take a quick glance down.

I do city riding...and pretty much never get on a highway. My usual journeys are all within 5 miles of each other.

ive been thinking about this same thing. i dont mind having two gauges, but mine are huge for the front end (cl175). so i was planning on either using one or a new dual set-up like this
http://www.electrosport.com/street/speedometers.php

but i really think i could do without a tach. i ride around the city and barely any highway. i can get within 500 rpms by the sounds of the motor and i have not even got close to redline on my cb360. but im new so what do i know?
its sounds like the major part of your decision is based on how you will ride. if you never plan on getting close to redline do you need a tach? but i like the idea of a stock tach and (really) small speedo

a tach is also nice to have to ensure you bike is running where it is supposed to be... i love a tach... knwing where i am in my gears lets me know how much room i have to go up or down when i am rocking some hard turns... on my HD i have it so that i can get the most out of each gear...

This may blow me out in the water.... but heres an idea..... how about a super small digital tach? (please dont bash on me) I know that it isnt vintage cafe..... but its functional. and its 2009.

garagedoreen said:
This may blow me out in the water.... but heres an idea..... how about a super small digital tach? (please dont bash on me) I know that it isnt vintage cafe..... but its functional. and its 2009.

Who says you have to keep your cafe "vintage"? It's just a tach, so heck, sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom