Woody's Back! – My 1973 CB/CL350

woody1981

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I have really been around. I haven't stopped working on my bikes. Here is the latest shots of my 1973 CL350. It's now sporting a '69 CB tank, CB exhausts, lowered 2" front and rear with CB360 front forks with racetech springs, custom seat (which I can't take credit for, bought off a guy that gave up on his 350 project) built on a stock seatpan, custom headlight bracket and a whole lot more I can't remember at the moment. If you have specific questions just post them up and I'll do my best to answer them. Hope you guys like it.

- Woody

Here is the link to the complete set on flickr, and a few of my faves.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ictwoody/sets/72157622046089335/

3865279311_2b87fe971e_b.jpg

3865278509_858f714a8a_b.jpg

3865286313_0fddd05e9d_b.jpg

3866051388_749f359841_b.jpg

Thanks. The idea was to do things that made the bike appear to be longer and faster looking standing still. The lowering makes it look longer.... making it look faster IMO.

Woody

kbmx613 said:
I love the stance, low and aggressive.

Woody, I tried to PM you twice, but this computer at work is crap. Dont know if they went through or not. If not, drop me a message at finnerandr@hotmail.com. Fellow Wichitan here.

Hopefully I'll have a pair of 350s by the end of the week, barn find... Owned by someone I know who wouldn't bullshit me about how they ran. I expect just some minor carb cleaning, tuneing and such, then on to the customization, his and hers pair.
Your bike is awesome and I'll try not to copy much ;D

Now that's sexy! Bike gives me a woo...sorry. I won't go there. Really sharp. I love everything about it! If you don't mind me asking what trees are you running and what mods did you have to do to make them work?
Thanks,Troy

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm really happy with it. The motor could use some polish, but eff that, I'm just gonna ride it and try to start working on my CB450 project again.

Sebatron,

The headlight is a copy of a CEV "scooter" headlight. It doesn't have a high beam... just a low.

Troybuilt,

Those are stock CL/CB 350 trees. CB360's are the same too. I just had them powdercoated black along with the fork lowers. I did round the tabs that are usually used to mount the stock gauge cluster... they are now my headlight bracket upper mounts. I used the rubber grommets that was used on the riser's to mount the turn and neutral indicators. I installed tapered head bearings, but that is about it in the steering area. They are CB360 forks. They are cosmetically the same as the 350 forks and they are still 33mm... but there are NO aftermarket springs available for 350's... but the 360 fork is slightly different internally and has a little bigger ID allowing me to get Racetech springs to stiffen them up.

- Woody

Hmmm? My CL350 top tripple doesn't look like that. There is now way I could lower the forks through the trees. Maybe it's the early CL-style I have. Either way, I like what you did. I have a set of 360 forks that I would like to try as well. So did you have to cut the RaceTech springs or did they slide right in? Did you mess with the dampening at all?

I also like the offset speedo. It sucks that a cool tach would not work in that same location. Overall, well done!

--Thanks, Chris

Chris,

Yes, my CL is a '73... early models were different. The RaceTech springs are actually for the 360 forks and were shorter then stock... They come with PVC for spacers that you have to cut, I think I have about 2" of spacer in each leg which will be perfect when I spacer the damper to eliminate the forks sticking up above the crown. Yes, I put 20wt fork oil in to compensate for the heavy springs. It feels good to me.

Don't hate on my tach/speedo setup :) I could have reversed them... but I already had the mini-speedo from when I was running the stock tach, so I just bought the 2.25" tach and put in in the HL bucket. I'm kinda indifferent about it myself.

- Woody

chrisf said:
Hmmm? My CL350 top tripple doesn't look like that. There is now way I could lower the forks through the trees. Maybe it's the early CL-style I have. Either way, I like what you did. I have a set of 360 forks that I would like to try as well. So did you have to cut the RaceTech springs or did they slide right in? Did you mess with the dampening at all?

I also like the offset speedo. It sucks that a cool tach would not work in that same location. Overall, well done!

--Thanks, Chris

Shit, I didn't even notice that. So your tach is in the headlight? nice. I just went through your photo collection. What tach is that and does it work? I love the bezel.

[edit]

The headlight bracket is really nice. well done thinking outside the box on that. Really nice bike. So you going to get it salty?

--Chris

I love the paint! Im actually using a 69 tank on my 350 and I think Im going to have to copy your layout. The colors will be completely different and I wont have side covers and will have a painted cowl, so it wont be a complete rip off! ;D

They say that imitation is the biggest form of flattery... but I might still call you a thieving bastard. Just kidding. Thanks for the compliments... can't wait to see yours.

- Woody

boomshakalaka said:
I love the paint! Im actually using a 69 tank on my 350 and I think Im going to have to copy your layout. The colors will be completely different and I wont have side covers and will have a painted cowl, so it wont be a complete rip off! ;D

I absolutely love this build, your bike is stunning. I have been looking at headlight combo's for a while now, and have been talking to benji about setting up one of his buckets, and im running a kz, so my headlight ring is different and i've been trying to track down the parts. i would rather get a cev headlight. i was wondering if it was difficult converting a 6v lamp to run on the 12v? and what your process in setting up this bucket?
Thanks for your time.
Mike

Not very difficult when the people I got it from on ebay swap out the 6V bulb for a 12V for the same price. Just send them a message before you buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CEV-BULLET-HEADLIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea99cc8e7QQitemZ200414120167QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

Thanks for the compliments.

Best,
Woody

mccarleyholmes said:
I absolutely love this build, your bike is stunning. I have been looking at headlight combo's for a while now, and have been talking to benji about setting up one of his buckets, and im running a kz, so my headlight ring is different and i've been trying to track down the parts. i would rather get a cev headlight. i was wondering if it was difficult converting a 6v lamp to run on the 12v? and what your process in setting up this bucket?
Thanks for your time.
Mike

I've been looking at those headlights for a while Woody. Looks like a good supplier. Thank you.

Hey Mike (or anyone else) are you planning on bidding on this light? I don't want to step on anyones toes. So please let me know so we don't run the bids. If anyone is planning to that's cool. Just let me know.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CEV-BULLET-HEADLIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea99cc8e7QQitemZ200414120167QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

Awesome bike Woody. DTT Jan BOTM material for sure...HINT, HINT, HINT!

Back
Top Bottom