1980 Honda CB400T Hawk and the new 1983 Kawasaki kz550 ltd

silverstonepgt

The Beerfish
28197_10100247002955914_2332510_63408010_5283822_n.jpg

28197_10100246961648694_2332510_63406502_3698066_n.jpg

Picked it up cheaply, runs great, needs a cleaning and a repaint. Already did the clubmans and turn signals to my liking. Anyone got great ideas?

27847_10100241482738474_2332510_63201231_247592_n.jpg

27847_10100241482733484_2332510_63201230_5377892_n.jpg

Re: 1980 Honda CB400T Hawk

change the tanks for a round one, strip it down, put some kn air filters on it, and maybe make a cap for the seat. and if you can find some spoke wheels to fit, splap the on their, then paint the whole she'bang hunter green lol :)

H
GrahamW said:
change the tanks for a round one, strip it down, put some kn air filters on it, and maybe make a cap for the seat. and if you can find some spoke wheels to fit, splap the on their, then paint the whole she'bang hunter green lol :)

I do wanna find a new tank for her soon, this weekend she got turn signals, the Chrome luggage bars under the seat removed, and painted gloss black for now. Seat project is next, but I'm keeping the comstar wheels, I like the look.

GrahamW said:

man, thats like every cafe ever made.

i love the black...

i say new smaller guages, clip ons instead of clubmans, and replace those shitty looking turned down exhaust.

maybe some fine pinstriping to match stock, and clean up the cases, reupholster the seat, smaller tail light and a fork brace, and it should be a fun bike.

go easy on the mods; maybe upgrade the rear shock and throw some dampers in the forks... i think the bike looks great as it is.

oh and rearsets so its more comfy to ride.

Clipons would be there if I get the money, seat is a must, along with a new taillight. Rearsets would definitely fix my back, but nor until this things officially a one_up. The tank will get a bit of striping, but it'll be custom, I have a pinstripe tattoo on my arm that'll be on there.

What options might I have for guages and different exhaust? I'd Id love to run black cans on her.

You can remove the cross over, it weighs a ton, replace with exhaoust pipe and put some pipes on, you will have to rejet but it is easy on these carbs. you don't even have to pull them off, just remove the float bowls and the jets are rtight there. Makes tuning easy. I have emgo shorties on mine and they are a little loud, not harley straight pipe loud but louder than stock. You can actually feel the weight difference when you get rid of that big piece of cast iron under the bike.

Cheers

Maritime

Maritime Biker said:
You can remove the cross over, it weighs a ton, replace with exhaoust pipe and put some pipes on, you will have to rejet but it is easy on these carbs. you don't even have to pull them off, just remove the float bowls and the jets are rtight there. Makes tuning easy. I have emgo shorties on mine and they are a little loud, not harley straight pipe loud but louder than stock. You can actually feel the weight difference when you get rid of that big piece of cast iron under the bike.

Cheers

Maritime

That sounds like a great idea to me! Over the last couple days I got the oil changed, chain adjusted, everything lubed, replaced some missing bolts, adjusted the shocks, and rearranged some lines that were rubbing. Next up is a seat project, Ive made a template, but im not sure if I wanna cut the stock stuff, or make my own complete seat.

Well, yesterday I got bored and went through and took off the crash bars, speedo and tach, remounted the ignition, and ditched the chain guard bc it was rubbing. Pics later. I still wanna relocate the ignition switch again, along with the choke, somewhere on the side of the bike, along with a small mechanical speedo.

Looks good. Nice to see another 400t fixed up.

I love riding mine around town.

Auww I love those tanks/sidecovers, I did a quick drawing of one of those a while back, lets see if I can find it...

nighthawk.jpg

Not exactly the same thing but damn close. That's what I'd do if it was in my garage.

Looks great silverstone, really like it in black. Suits the bike.

Nice drawing mysta. That's something like I had in mind when I picked up my Cb400 last summer. Was going to shorten the seat to end right where the frame ends. However, I decided to leave it stock since I picked up a CB350 and so will be selling the 400 soon. Here's mine:

side2.jpg

mysta2 said:
Auww I love those tanks/sidecovers, I did a quick drawing of one of those a while back, lets see if I can find it...

nighthawk.jpg

Not exactly the same thing but damn close. That's what I'd do if it was in my garage.

Thats actually a great idea, id love to make a solo seat that kept the lines of the side pieces and kicked up at the back.

Im planning on lowering the headlight a couple of inches if I can pretty soon. Are stock brackets welded to the upper fork, or do they slip on over the fork, and i am imagining them being attached? i dont mind grinding, but itll be easier if I dont have to.

mysta2 said:

nighthawk.jpg

That's awesome..exactly the look i'm going for on my newly acquired 900f

And Silverstone, the bike is looking great in black

Gray

meatball said:
sweet bike! those gauges made a big difference

Yeah they sure did, but now I desperately want the headlight lowered, anyone know if u just need clamp brackets and the stock one slides off the fork or not? Also, any particularly nicer headlights I could swap on? My bucket is cracked badly.

silverstonepgt said:
... anyone know if u just need clamp brackets and the stock one slides off the fork or not?
Yeah, the stock ones just slide off the forks. I just went with the generic clamp on type.

HerrDeacon said:
Yeah, the stock ones just slide off the forks. I just went with the generic clamp on type.

Thanks man, Im going to order some blackbrackets, then look for a different headlight to run, i wish the bucket on the stock light was metal, so it wouldnt be all broken

Back
Top Bottom