Pair of Yamaha xv920s.

palepainter

If this is the wrong dept, moderators feel free to move it. Newbie error.

Well, let's see how this all began. I started searching Craigslist for a dirt bike for my daughter. In the process of finding her a bike, I ran a cross a pair of 920s for 400 bucks. Neither of them running. Both partially torn down, which helped me out a bit in retrospect. ;D I was torn between these two and a CX500 that I was interested in as well. But the displacement difference won in the end.

Did I mention that I am a cheap bastard? Well, I am now. I have spend many years as a custom painter in the HD scene. Really got burned out on that entire scene. So, I want to see how sweet of a bike I can build on least amount possible. Everyone's story probably. I think being thrifty equals being creative.

I pulled both of them into the shop and started to tear them down. I got quite a bit done in one weekend. I raided the local used bike shop for some scavenged vintage Yamaha goodies. Found a clubman bar set and YG light/speedo combo that I thought was a bit odd, but so ugly it was cool.

I bent up a rear loop out of 1inch seamed tubing. I then cut out the curved section of the original rear section and started to mock stuff up for a bit of a visual. I cut down the front fender as well as the rear fender, which will soon become the back of the tail section. Up in the air on lighting yet in the back. But anyways, here is what I have been screwing with the past week.

Attachments

• IMG_4397[1].JPG
    IMG_4397[1].JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 252
Re: Pair of Yamaha VX920s.

Side shot. I am using a different tank, a TR1 Virago tank. On it's way here from fleabay.

Attachments

• IMG_4394[1].JPG
    IMG_4394[1].JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 251

And finally the mockup of the bike. This will be my rough blueprint and inspiration as well as all the killer bikes I have seen here. Thanks

Attachments

• virago2ski.jpg
    virago2ski.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 250

Looks different! In a good way. The headlight unit looks real small on the actual bike though.
I started to build a speedo enclosed unit that had a 5 1/4" with larger 7", but my bike is tiny (Cd175) and it's the other way, looks too big.
f3fbaecff38b9bc44b87b08d85807485.jpg

I agree, it is a bit small. I am going to find a steel bucket I can graft the speedo section onto.

The tank I purchased off fleabay showed up today. Such an easy change and really looks a ton better than the stock Viagro tank that came with it. The cap with the key lock switched over nicely. Whew...that was a bit of a guess and some finger crossing. I like it. Will work great with the tail section in the works.

Attachments

• IMG_4404[1].JPG
    IMG_4404[1].JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 231

I worked on the Yomama today. In order to satisfy my curiosity, I put the tank into the blaster and hit the little rust bubbles on the side. And of course, there were a few of them completely going through. So I am really hoping to save this tank. I am going to weld up the holes enough to hold the acid wash that will be going in the tank in the next few days. Then I will tig all of the areas where there may be issues or any other leaks. I will pressure test then seal the hell out of it. I am hoping that will keep me from finding another tank or cutting out sections and dropping in sections of formed patches.

Attachments

• IMG_4437[1].JPG
    IMG_4437[1].JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 238

I also got the curved portion of the stock rear frame section cut away and measured for final fit to the bent tube section. It took a bit of messing around to get the line the way I wanted and finding the right angle for the tank. Then I took some cardboard and preliminarily mocked up the tail section and pan. The rear section is a stock portion of the original tank that had some fire damage.

Attachments

• IMG_4439[1].JPG
    IMG_4439[1].JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4441[1].JPG
    IMG_4441[1].JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_4435[1].JPG
    IMG_4435[1].JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 237

Oh yeah, I bought an 83 top tree for standard dog bone bar mounting. Found it on Fleabay. It moves the bars forward about .75 and will help a bit with a few clearances. So I blasted it and slapped it on as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4443[1].JPG
    IMG_4443[1].JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 225
Despite the tank issues, I am moving ahead with the build as planned till I either find another tank, or get the balls to tig all the holes and pressure test it. :) I finished the preliminary fab in the tail section. I bent up a complete section out of 16 gauge that screws to the frame section. Then I took the section that I made from a damaged xv920 tank and welded it to the bent section of the pan.

Attachments

• IMG_4455[1].JPG
    IMG_4455[1].JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 899
  • IMG_4451[1].JPG
    IMG_4451[1].JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_4449[1].JPG
    IMG_4449[1].JPG
    61 KB · Views: 873
I finished up the mount of the rear frame section to the backbone of the main frame. A bit of reinforcing, but it is coming together pretty nice for tear down and assembly. Still waiting to hear back from a few on a TR1 tank. IN the meantime, I have been sizing up my stock XV920 tank. It may work with a bit of modification to the rear bottom section in order to get the lines right.

Attachments

• IMG_4460[1].JPG
    IMG_4460[1].JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 720
Very nice work! I wish I had a tube bender...I want a seat hoop to match up with the Motolanna seat I will be using for my build. In for updates.

Today I made an executive decision and cut my losses on the TR1 tank and adapted the original XV tank to the chasses. I also made the side skirt section of the tail. I will pull it all out and consider running some 1/8 in round stock around the perimeter. I trimmed up the rear of the tank and added the forward support for the seat pan that will be fabbed up soon. This plate will also serve as mounting tab for tank.

I also started on the rear fender that will attach to the swingarm.

Attachments

• IMG_4476[1].JPG
    IMG_4476[1].JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_4477[1].JPG
    IMG_4477[1].JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,236
  • IMG_4478[1].JPG
    IMG_4478[1].JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,217
Tonight I mocked up the Ryca rear controls and checked to see if I could get my 51 year old ass in the saddle. :) I managed to find it quite comfortable, touring....ah, no. But for buzzing around, perfect. I welded the fender to the swing arm making sure there was clearance where it is needed. A bit of tweaking left on the pegs when I work on the linkage. I am thinking the rear shock adjustment will go right above the old batter box location.

Quite happy with it so far. Debating on the taillight at this time. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4488[1].JPG
    IMG_4488[1].JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,062
  • IMG_4487[1].JPG
    IMG_4487[1].JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_4484[1].JPG
    IMG_4484[1].JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 970
This evening's adventure started with a 1960 Falcon rear lens that was left over from an older gasser project I had at one time. I also had a driving lamp with broken lens from my vw that worked out nicely for a housing. So a bit of cutting and modifying both components, I was able to get them to fit together. I have to change the bulb socket out yet to proper bulb selection. But It is probably the biggest sign that I am a cheap bastard. Sure, I could have bought one off ebay for 15 bucks..... :) Anyways, did I mention I was a cheap bastard. I am unsure if I will make a metal tube that will connect to the tail section and house the lens and reflector or modify the original mount to work with this light configuration.

I then lowered the front end about 2 inches. I removed the crossover and pressure balance tubes and slid the fork tubes up through the trees just enough to replace the crossover. I have new risers coming from 1100 XV that should push the bars forward enough to still be able to use the clubman bar. If not, it will be a set of clip ons for me in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_4490[1].JPG
    IMG_4490[1].JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_4495[1].JPG
    IMG_4495[1].JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_4499[1].JPG
    IMG_4499[1].JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_4496[1].JPG
    IMG_4496[1].JPG