1971 Honda CL350

bcamazine

Hello
I am new to the forum and new to restorations etc although not new to cycles.
I wanted to do a project that would be good for my son (17) and I to do together, so I bought a CL350
It has 40K+ miles
We started tearing it down
I think we will need a lot of advice-especially since we not only don't know what we are doing but also don't know where we are going.
This is my son-he will be going to college next year. Hopefully, by then, he will at least know how to change the oil in his car and change a tire!

Attachments

• DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 265
Re: Re: 1971 Honda CL350

Surgi said:
Hopefully, by then, he will at least know how to change the oil in his car and change a tire!

If he's got a thick skin (and you too) you guys picked a good place to start! I suggest signing up at Hondatwins as well. Welcome!

Thanks
We got the rear off Friday
We took off the front end yesterday. After disconnecting the wires in the headlight, I kept thinking we would never get everything back together.
More pics tomorrow
We will pull the engine Monday or Tuesday

Attachments

• DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    635.4 KB · Views: 247
Welcome! Those bikes are great for a project. You might want to put all the parts in zip-lock bags, you wont loose them that way and you can write on the bag wich bolt or part is is and where it came from. Furthermore, get a manual (not clymer) and take small steps. Good luck!

OOh and pleease tell me you're going to paint the tank. GOD THAT IS HIDIOUS.

Wow... That is a SUPER nice example for having 40k miles on it. The 350 is a great bike, parts are plentiful and cheap. Are you restoring it or going custom?

Well, no matter the direction you head in there's a TON of aftermarket support for the 350 as well as a massive amount of information here on DTT and other places.

Welcome to the forum. I have been working on a 71 CL350 also for my first attempt at restoring a bike in bad shape and building a cafe racer out of it. You can see what I have done so far on my build thread : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=37352.msg473929#msg473929

I found lots of help and great ideas here at DTT!! I will be interested in what you do with yours. Greg

The front end came off easy
We are trying to keep everything organized!
I wanted to accomplish something instead of just treading water so I cleaned and polished the muffler heat guards

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    415.4 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    484.6 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    525 KB · Views: 254
The front forks look terrible but I are ok in the functional range so i may be able to clean them up!

Attachments

• DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 246
If they're a straight swap for the CB550 forks I have a pair, yours for shipping.

Surgi said:
I defer to the experts
I'll replace them

I'll try to find out if they can be swapped for CB550

Thanks

350 forks are 33mm and run a drum brake.

550 are 35mm and disk.

Now...

You can do a bearing swap and mount the 550 forks to your frame for about $40. It'll be a big upgrade. But, the 350 and 550 hubs are different sizes as is the fork width. So, you'll have to make wheel spacers (or modify the ones you have) and drum brake stay.

Yes and no ive done that swap but the head tube is to long or short i cant remember. but something is a pain in the ass

bradj said:
Yes and no ive done that swap but the head tube is to long or short i cant remember. but something is a pain in the ass

Yeah... I think you need a big ol washer (spacer) between the top bearing and the retaining nut. Been a few years...

Re: Re: 1971 Honda CL350

VonYinzer said:
350 forks are 33mm and run a drum brake.

550 are 35mm and disk.

Now...

You can do a bearing swap and mount the 550 forks to your frame for about $40. It'll be a big upgrade. But, the 350 and 550 hubs are different sizes as is the fork width. So, you'll have to make wheel spacers (or modify the ones you have) and drum brake stay.

And buy triples. As i don't have those.

You're probobly better off just posting in the "wanted" section here and picking up some good 350 legs. Haha...

Back
Top Bottom