Just got my tank painted (First timer). Fingernail still leaves a mark?

sprockett

Hi guys,
I just sent my tank in for paint / clear coating. First time doing this.

I brought the tank home, and its dry to the touch. However, when I press my fingernail into the clear, it leaves a mark!!

1. I think its probably been about 18 hours since the shop sprayed it.
2. I also understand that Clear would cure 90% within the first day or so, and then the last 10% spreads out over forever.

Does this mean that after a day (ie. 90% cured), i should NOT have any marks if i press my fingernail in?

Not sure if I'm paranoid, but perhaps the shop didn't do the job correctly?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150923194821.jpg
    20150923194821.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 240
What the hell is wrong with you?

According to your own jackass numbers you shouldn't even be holding it yet. But instead you are pressing your fingernail into it.

God damn son. Get some schoolin'.

Yeah, why would you even touch it at that point? Can it be handled? Sure. I use a fast hardener, and I can touch it in 15-20 minutes if need be. But it's not hardened.

Hmm, when I painted my own tank with 2K clear, I believe I waited 24 hours before wet sanding and buffing, then another 24 before I put it on the bike (or maybe it was 12 and 12). Either way I would wait another day.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Ok I should NOT be touching it. I'll give it another day or so to be safe.

The shop guy said I could install the tank after about a day, so I just assumed that things would at least be hard to the fingernail as it approaches that amount of time.

I'll be patient :)

Well, it ought to be pretty hard by 18-24 hours, but since there is nothing to be done you have no option but to leave it alone. It looks great in the pics, and very likely it will continue to harden noticeably in the next few days. I invariable sand and polish between 24 - 48 hours, but end up needing to go back and fuss with it a little after 30 days or so.

Are you for the most part completely done with the other stuff? Theres no reason to handle your painted pieces until everything else possible without them has been finished. Order of operations is very important in a build that has a substantial budget. My painter usually keeps my stuff for a week before I get a chance to touch it anyway.

My rule, as I have messed up enough paint in my short years in the motorcycle game; Paint last. Where you can paint, and install.

Back
Top Bottom