Yamaha XS TX 650 question

MarcW

yo... ohio...
I just picked up a 74 TX650... It's really rough but has good compression and is titled. Does anyone know the differences between the TX and XS 650's? I did a little research and it looks like alot of the parts are the same.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Here's a couple pics of the beast... $150 strong

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

1 crate and 3 coffee cans of the rest of it!!
IMG_1739.jpg

I'm no expert (even though I'm doing a frame-up XS1B/XS650 project) but I think they're all pretty much the same from 1973 on. For $150 you did well.

For the money that looks pretty cool. Did they come stock with flanged alloy rims? I keep seeing a flattracker.

Yes, the 74 on has some differences. The frame is stiffer than earlier, the forks are 36mm rather than 35mm, the seat and tank mount differently and the motor is now a model 447 rathter than the earlier 247 models (almost nothing interchanges between these two motors). For the most part a lot of other stuff stays the same from 74 on through end of production. Check out the 650 Garage website/forum for alot of info and knowlegeable folks and Mikes XS Parts, 650 Central and 650.com for parts.

Terry
J'ville, Fl

Actually I think the frame changes were made in 1973, not 1974. I have a 1972 frame, which is the same as the earlier original frames (less bracing, lighter frame and I think steeper steering head angle).

Also, they went from 34mm to 35mm, not 35 to 36. I had to modify a later model 35mm triple tree/steering stem to work on my 1972 frame, as the steering head on the earlier frames is also about 1/2 inch shorter than the later frames, making the stem too tall.

The 447 engine is the easiest one to work on, as you can get more parts for it. I think the earlier engine is rumoured to make more power though, but I'm not sure on that.

Oh, and yeah, on the later spoked models (1975 on?) the shouldered alloy rims were stock. Very nice feature. They polish up nicely (I'm running 18" rear rims front and back on my XS650 project)

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=448

XS65020071101006.jpg

Tim said:
Actually I think the frame changes were made in 1973, not 1974. I have a 1972 frame, which is the same as the earlier original frames (less bracing, lighter frame and I think steeper steering head angle).

Frame changes were made in 74....not 73. And I thought your bike was an XS/2 LOL. The only thing XS1/B is the front drum brake. ;D Sheez Tim. But I do want your wheels. My bike is closer to running anyways. I'll send them back when you are ready for them ;)

Here is some info on the Yamaha 650 line, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XS_650. I have a 1981 XS650 Special that I've worked on and have mostly completed except for a seat. I am running it with the stock seat until I either cut it down to make a bratstyle or use a cafe style tail section. It is easy to work on, but get yourself a manual. Keep us posted with your build. Would be interested to see what direction you take your bike.

Dude, there's a TX650 on craigslist here in awesome condition for something like 700 bucks. I wish I had the extra cash I would completely pick it up like yesterday.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/1085473464.html

Sorry, it's a 750 and it's $950. Still, I'd nab it in a sec. Looks to be in awesome condition.

I like the 650's, the engine design reminds me of the old triumphs. Here is a pic of my XS650 without the seat.

100_0181.jpg

Thanks for the help guys!!!

I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it or part it... I want to keep everything titled that I get!!! LOL

Right now I have this bike, a 74 CB750, 75 GL1000 Goldwing, 72 CL350, 79 CM400, and a 86 650 nighthawk all titled...

2 are on the brink of being parted and the nighthawk is for sale...

The more I look at the Yamaha the more I want to keep it though!!!

I would definately keep the Yamaha!! There are so many directions you can take it...and not that expensively either. You could hardtail bobber it, brat it, cafe it, restore it. Most parts are available here: www.mikesxs.com

Thanks to everybody for the info!! Cretin your bike looks great!!

I'm def gonna keep the bike, the 75 wing is gonna get the ax!! lol

Hope to be able to get to work on it sometime soon...

Back
Top Bottom