'75 CB550K1 Gulf - Round...3, the fun stuff

Re: '75 CB550K Gulf - plugs, plugs, plugs

Hmmm... I was using the reinforced ones as well. I think it may have more to do with the quality of my Harbor Freight special "dremel" tool.

Ah, yeah, never used one of those. The reinforced wheels still don't last nearly as long as say 4 1/2" angle grinder wheels.... But they're handy for the little stuff.

Hey man, check out a straight (or angled) die grinder with a 1/4" arbor. Cut off wheels for those are much cheaper, plus you can get the roloc (3M brand) buffing pads and discs for them as well. Also, you can get the carbide burrs, stone burrs, and wire brushes for them. They are air operated, so will work your compressor a little, but much, much faster at things than a dremel, and in a lot of cases, just as accurate. I can show you one of mine if you stop by the shop. I don't even own a dremel because of these (though the dremel will do fine work better).

I guess I've kind of dismissed pneumatic up until now. I just figured my compressor wasn't really up to the task. Might have to get the low down over another pint...

VonYinzer said:
Chris. Youre my hero.

I'm a thinly veiled hack. Nothing more, probably a lot less.

;D

Ringo said:
taillight2.jpg

Mr. Ringo... would you happen to have a pic of the inside of the seat showing the way that you mounted this light? I'm thinking of getting it but I have an arc in the seat that I'm concerned about.

Thanks!

Sure thing. Not having the bike near me, I'll say that I think I simply roughed up the inside and epoxied it on. I'll find out for sure and grab a pic though.

I did basically build the seat around that light, if I recall. I purposefully made a flat on the back for easy mounting.

Firestarter: I've hand checked before and decided long ago that I just don't hate myself that much hahaha. No, I build a special fixture for the milling machine that makes this pretty repeatable.

well I dig it man, I would love to have something like that done at some point, like a rear brake center or engine cover.

Purty 8)
You got a CNC now or is that on rotary table?

Lee you are all that is man. Pics are killing me, I need to hold that in my hands!

I said it on facebook...and Ill say it again. That is a nice lookin piece. Im gonna need to have a few pieces made like a front axle, and a swingarm pivot (or at least the bushings) if i give you the specs would you let me know if youre interested in the work?

@Firestarter: no worries, I'll be taking new work after 4/2 so I can fit you in then.

@PJ: No cnc in house and not on this piece. No rotary table used either....mainly powdered unicorn spit......

@Ringo: you love it long time..... (haha...'Ringland'...effing autocorrect)

@rhavindog: sure that's all do-able....pm me the details and we'll work out a quote. Won't be ready to start though until after the 2nd......
Also, who the heck are you (on Facebook I mean hahaha)

That took a while then, much respect for the patience to do it
Did you file the radius or make a fiitting to swivel it?

@PJ: Ahhhh! I get what you're looking at!

This was based on someone else's piece, I cleaned it up, knocked roughly 40% of the weight off and prettied it up a good deal. I'd DEFINITELY use a rotary table to pull the clamp radii...whew. I've filed and scraped plenty enough to not wanna do it for a primary shape feature again....yuck,

Back
Top Bottom