'75 CB550K1 Gulf - Round...3, the fun stuff

Yep... belly pan, chin fairing, speed bump stand.

Check it, Doug sent me this recently. Good to see she's still getting her wheels ridden off in the PNW.
photo_zps5bf6a82b.jpg

Re: '75 CB550K1 Gulf - paint and...basically done

Ringo said:
;D I hate cleaning.

Me too, I spend way too much time doing everything during re-build then let it 'develop a patina' ;)

I made it; it's covered here somewhere in this novel. I'd guess around the 115ish page range.

Hay! Ringo it's Zeke , texasstars son. I truly thank of you as an inspiration to me and probably many other people. You remined me of many people like junior burrell and Teazer. Your bike is beautiful. You inspired me and my dad to do the gulf coast colors. I really like the number three on your tail. Dad and I has a favorite number. That number is three.

Ringo said:
Yep... belly pan, chin fairing, speed bump stand.

Check it, Doug sent me this recently. Good to see she's still getting her wheels ridden off in the PNW.
photo_zps5bf6a82b.jpg

That's my hometown! Hope to see the bike cruising around Gig Harbor or Tacoma.

Zeke, thanks for the kind words, I'm humbled my man. I'll tell you what's inspirational though: what you've done at your age! If I had a fraction of your interest in motorbikes when I was your age...man, I'd be so far ahead of the curve. Keep kicking ass bud, I'm looking forward to seeing your future builds. Chris

Sure do. I spend most of my summer up in Great Falls though, but I make it down to Boz every few weeks.

I am in love with that belly pan. How did you attach it to the frame? Would you be able to provide an approximate template (or a crude drawing, at least)? Id LOVE to make something like this for my CB360. Id likely be using sheetmetal and not CF, though. Again, I know you've heard this a million times, but your bike is AMAZING.

-Matt

Generalyen, I sold this bike to a good buddy in Washington last year, so I'm afraid you won't be seeing it around.

Matt, thanks. The belly pan was attached to the frame with some aluminum tube clamps I bought from McMaster-Carr. Not sure what you want as a template..... but this is the best pic I have of how the pan mounts:
bpd.jpg

I read about your difficulty mounting the belly pan with bolts and I assume nuts. Had you thought of Dzus fasteners?

I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I read the entirety of this build a few years ago and was blown away, however after finding it again so I could recommend it to a friend as a great example how to build a composite tank, I have only just realised exactly how much this actually influenced a build that I completed earlier this year.

I wanna say thanks to Ringo for this amazing build and making manufacturing processes that would usually be considered waayy to hard, seem attainable.

Like I said I didn't realise at the time but you can see the influence in the Tail and Taillight combo.

The tail was made in an almost identical fashion to Ringo's belly pan and the taillight, i was lucky enough to have access to CNC machines and Injection moulding machines to be able to make a totally custom lens for the LED's.

Cheers Ringo, hope your still building bikes!

Attachments

• Bike Side Right compressed.jpg
    Bike Side Right compressed.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 323
  • Rear left compressed.jpg
    Rear left compressed.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 335
  • Low Right Rear compressed.jpg
    Low Right Rear compressed.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 353
Keeweenz thanks man! Bike looks great! Sorry for the pokey reply, I don't think to check this thread any more. I'm still tinkering, just in a different genre now. My latest money pit is a 2006 Triumph Speed Triple. I still do all the work myself (with the lone exception of the fork cartridge install--they needed rebuilt first), just don't really bother to post it up anywhere. Here she is when I got her, and after having my way with her:

51B50011-2B99-4B7D-9B6E-80E705D88DBB_zpsxcdfzunn.jpg

A3EE00DA-5418-4286-BDDF-7E961747E756_zps08qamhfz.jpg

And of course I flog the hell out of her:
BDBC1021-98EE-440F-841A-559057089156_zpstamaxmzw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom