TX500 build

well i got the motor cheaned up a bit... still a long way to go before paint and polish... had to do it in the bath tub while the girl was at her bar... ha ha ha ooh well... it is 20* here and all my cleaners would freeze in the cold... do what you have to do... also got the frame preped up.. did some more this morning... then TO SEAN'S house where he was cool enough to let me use his HUGE oven to powder my frame and rear belt guard... came out so beyond awesome!!! I could not just rock a bronze frame now that i know ducuti and Aprilia are doing it... so i did a bit of dry mixing and got some gold flake in with the bronze... NOT to much just enough to catch the light and say BLING!!! man the pictures can not caputre how awesome this color is and how well it came out... put a coat of Ulta GLOSS clear over it! ran out of the bronze and kind of glad that i did cause i did hte belt guard in utlra black... looks great the whole thing came out sick!!! this bike is going to look insane! I only need to finish the seat (sand and paint), Paint the motor, and polish the engine cases and i can start to assemble... GETTING THERE! THANK YOU SEAN!!! hooked it up today man, learned alot and i am very thankful! look forward to workign with you MUCH MUCH more in the future!

29urbdj.jpg

2vvq8no.jpg

nweflh.jpg

r02p2x.jpg

35idrfb.jpg

well.. i am beat... not working on the bike tonight... but i had to see what this is going to look like so i did a layout in the living room.... what you think!!!

Seat on

2qaoi8k.jpg

Seat off

258cm4z.jpg

35l4w0x.jpg

2jan394.jpg

s66uy9.jpg

one with NO FLASH so you get a better look at the paint...

2sbjtbb.jpg

and this is the brains behind my operation my build partner Argos... he says it is time to take a night off

vwz5f4.jpg

JRK5892 said:
ok... so i lied... going to powder the frame... Thanks to JoeyCocks's buddy Sean letting me use his oven!!! THANKS GUYS!!!
Good to hear Sean (a.k.a the Powder Pro) came thru for ya.
I have a boatload of stuff doe him to coat for me once I get around to tearing the bikes apart..

Looks awesome Joe, I look forward to seeing your bike when it is back together. Do me a favor, SLOW DOWN........ you are making me look lazy.... Ha!

I already have an itch to buy another (smaller) bike, maybe a CB350...... What did I get myself into?

really cool build man, nice to see everything coming together! I love the bronze frame, I was thinking about doing bronze or a light grey, not sure which yet. I think on the tank/rear cowl you should throw in some black/bronze to tie everything together. Maybe some simple stripes or something.

ya i am going to do somehting but i want to get the bike completed before i pin stripe it or whatever way it goes... Sean was right media blasting this was the way to go... my buddies all came by to check out the bike so far... i guess the camera phone pics did not do it justice... they loved the belt guard and that seems to be something alot of people that have seen it so far like... figured i would post a few pics... simple... took stock belt guard, used harbor freight large step bit and just went up 2 every hole... sean tossed it in the media cabinet for me and i popped it with ultra black powder... looks sick, not bad for a 34 year old guard

Before:
30kdif4.jpg

Durring:

2yzaatg.jpg

21sp3p.jpg

dd26tu.jpg

2q00luf.jpg

so tonight was just full of awesome... had my best friend stop by to help me turn a few wrenches... but that turned into CLEANING THE HELL OUT OF A MOTOR! he and i hit this sucker for about 4 hours got the underside, front, and one upper jug side done... also took off the side case only to reveal EVERYTHING IS NEW!!!! NEW BEARINGS, CHAIN, GEARS, EVEN THE WEAR GUARD ON THE CHAIN IS BRAND NEW!!!! Looks liks someone overhauled the motor and pretty recent! nice part is all the bolts just twist out smooth... just awesome just need to track down some gaskets now... here are the pics

jason hard at work:

dvh5cg.jpg

24c78eb.jpg

and cleaned up (still needs final prep of course)

dow6br.jpg

28ap8qu.jpg

2ypdmza.jpg

her pretty insides

14vl0e8.jpg

wswtht.jpg

Back in the day we'd use old record album sleeves....fuck I feel old sometimes.....

The crappier the album the better!

ya'll have any idea where to find some new gaskets for this fella? i have searched and can not pin point any! Old bike barn does not seem to ahve them

Swagger said:
Back in the day we'd use old record album sleeves....fuck I feel old sometimes.....

The crappier the album the better!

Record??? Are those the things that are like CD's only bigger? ;)

j/k

JRK5892 said:
ya'll have any idea where to find some new gaskets for this fella? i have searched and can not pin point any! Old bike barn does not seem to ahve them

Did you try BikeBandit? www.bikebandit.com

well the good news!!! they have them.... now the bad
OUCH!!! $53.53, BEFORE shipping for the head gasket, left engine case gasket, and right engine case gasket
any other idea's? i have made a few gaskets in my past but not many... any ideas or tips/tricks?

JRK5892 said:
well the good news!!! they have them.... now the bad
OUCH!!! $53.53, BEFORE shipping for the head gasket, left engine case gasket, and right engine case gasket
any other idea's? i have made a few gaskets in my past but not many... any ideas or tips/tricks?

Here's what I would do.....go with an OEM headgasket and make your own side cover gaskets. The latter is easy, you can get material like Mr. Gasket from Summit Racing or your local autoparts store.

Scott

well i killed myself in the gym today... twice... so i goaled myself to one thing on the build... polished out my side case... SMOOTH AS GLASS NOW... also did a mock up wiht the rest of the cover that i polished and fade powder coated... not so hot of a match with my crap polish job when i did the other case to this one.... but... i am going to wait till i get the motor in before i decide... may just blast it back down and polish it too... may leave it... anyway... here the pics

here we go... fine wire wheeled it... next hit it with 400 grit and then wet 1000... this breaks up all the crap on the metal and will allow the polish to really work in and shine that sucker up... also gives you less chance of "burning" on the wheel..here is a pic after the wire wheel
2b65op.jpg

and done:

2lxxqas.jpg

o106qa.jpg

on the motor both 1/2's of the caseing...

sybd6r.jpg

also the girl wanted me to hang her chin up bar... the support cups where black... could not have that... powder coated them white to match the door frame so that i done have to take them down every time we have people over... just screw in the bar and it will slide right off... hell ya

2uxz335.jpg

well i capitalized on todays day off... 12 hrs of cleaning and scrubbing... used wire wheels, sand paper, toothbrushes, simple green, dish soap, mer acid, you name it!!! but got that motor clean!!!! from her i primed it... and painted.... will polish the other side case and head late this week.... done for the day... total time to prep and paint the motor: start time: 8am... final coat of paint... 8:30 Pm 12.5 hours.... spent 1 hour painting... all about the prep work!

pre paint prep wipe down: denatured alchole
paint: dupli-color engine primer and gloss black engine paint....

Primer:

ixs3d0.jpg

2p0mq.jpg

Painted:

n5kh1w.jpg

2laebnc.jpg

23mo9d2.jpg

Joe the bike looks awesome.
This will be what I am tackling next. But it may be a few days. We had our annual turkey bowl today and I am all sorts of sore. So the project is on hold for a few days. Any advice on cleaning the engine for paint?

Holy shit jrk.. I think Im going to follow in your footsteps and paint my entire motor. Maybe Ill end up polishing the fins for contrast, but I have to say, that thing looks nice.

Do you think you could take a picture of the wire wheel youre using? I bought a few fine wire wheel attachments for an electric drill, but it seems like they are just going to scratch the case really bad...

Back
Top Bottom