TX500 build

boomshakalaka said:
Holy shit jrk.. I think Im going to follow in your footsteps and paint my entire motor. Maybe Ill end up polishing the fins for contrast, but I have to say, that thing looks nice.

Do you think you could take a picture of the wire wheel youre using? I bought a few fine wire wheel attachments for an electric drill, but it seems like they are just going to scratch the case really bad...

If it is a fine wheel you should be ok man. Of course you are going to have tiny tiny scratches but thats more reason to go back with a finer sand paper later.

ok. Well I still need to get all the gunk out of the sprocket housing (not sure what to actually call it... on the left side of the case where the chain goes) because its pretty nasty. Everything in there is coated in a nice half inch of oily muddy crap.

well as far as wire wheels go i have about 20... here are the pics of them... i used htem all... also the one in the top right is like a plastic material, that is the way to go, cause they do not spray small wire deals everywhere... i have one that hooks up to my die grinder as well but that just THROWS small little wires everywhere... but it gets the job done

the tools:

122kw0y.jpg

2vvj0hk.jpg

2a82rms.jpg

here are some pics of the motor after the air has settled
16byc74.jpg

ic1o35.jpg

i am going to polish up the other side case tonight... on the rocker box cover on the top i am going to prob powder coat it... it has a hairline crack right by one the the bolts, looks like someone just torqued the hell out of it and it shiver cracked... so i have to weld that up jsut to be safe.... then i will try a new powder i just got in that is supposed to look just like chrome... we will see...

anyone know how to put an oil cooler on this sucker? I have only done coolers on harleys and a few other bikes... but all of them had seperate oil bags, this is all self contained... i know i can get an oil fiter adapter but then my side case will not completely fit and they are stupid $$$$

ok, great! I have a very basic set of those tools, including a set of those tooth brush style things. Im going to give it a go tomorrow. One question though: Before you paint, or even before you clean you obviously have to tape off the motor. Well while its all dirty, how the hell do I tape it off? Its go oil all over it! I did a kinda half assed job, but Ill have to do better before I paint.

got to rub that oil off best you can... i use foil to mask cause it does a great job of covering and conforming to stuff... then just tape over it all and cut with an exacto knife, I like to use simple green mixed 3/1 with water to clean up the caked on greese and crap!...
got some more polishing done
you can see where my wheel is i have 2 towels, these catch all the crap the wheel throws as it spins so my garage and everything in it does not just get caked wiht crap! for cooling i found a great deal on a screw on adapter at the oil filter! ill post about that later:

260rdj7.jpg

33nupuo.jpg

BEFORE:

14vsns0.jpg

After:

2ywuyvk.jpg

161kbhd.jpg

got the motor all polished up... gasket paper is on order and should be here tomorrow, then i will fab up this oil cooler and run the lines... button the motor up and should have it back in the frame by friday...

the pics do not really do it justice... this sucker SHINES!!! still have to do a final wipe down and wax, i may even poly clear powder it all so i dont have to worry about it... here are the pics:

i526bp.jpg

x2te9w.jpg

hx6nue.jpg

one without the flash so that you can really see how shiney these parts polished out

24nkaa8.jpg

That looks awesome man! I love the polishing that you did. I cannot imagine how much time you spent to get the motor to the point it sits now. Keep up the good work and gimme a call if you ever need a hand.

Joe how do you do it ::) don't you have a life or don't you sleep? I suppose it getting cold where you are and riding is out of the question. It’s just turned summer and as I ride all year round it’s hard to get things done at home. I just love your build and it has spurred me on to finish mine! ;D

ROD

ha ha ha i hear that all the time man... i just love bikes they calm me down... so if i am not at work, in the gym, or helping out a buddy, i am in the shop turning a wrench waiting for a sunny day to ride!

ok here is my ? now.... i found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Yamaha-Kawasaki-Oil-Cooler-Filter-Adapter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ35595QQihZ023QQitemZ360075019216QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I know i will have to cut my side case to fit my extended filter... but does anyone know if this will fit????? if it does i am going to pair it with this:
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...A-4D41F1751627

that should adress the heat issues with both the motor in general as well as the primer AND gloss black paint on the motor... anyone know if this sucher will fit? I have no clue! I need to figure out if i have a 20mm-1.5 threads on the motor.... any idea where i can find this info? i tried to get my guage on it but just can not tell

JRK5892 said:
that should adress the heat issues with both the motor in general as well as the primer AND gloss black paint on the motor... anyone know if this sucher will fit? I have no clue! I need to figure out if i have a 20mm-1.5 threads on the motor.... any idea where i can find this info? i tried to get my guage on it but just can not tell
Do you have some calipers? You should be able to measure the threads with a caliper. If you don't have a set, get one. They're indespensible and they're not that expensive. Digital ones are worth the extra money.

yes sir i got one... it is at my brothers house for some cams he is re working... i am going to have to swing by and snag it up so i can get my measurements off this sucker! if that filter conversion will work i am MONEY!

looks like the prev owner did a screw on oil filter conversion... here are some pics:

here is a side shot... my side case is 2 parts... the back 1/2 of the case covers the filter housing, you can see the screw in filter there... if the threads line up i should be able to put on the adapter and then just run my hoses! I PRAY it will fit, going to measure the threads tonght to find out!

wswtht.jpg

2ypdmza.jpg

Good luck with that. I want to see how it comes out. It might be an interesting mod to do to a track bike one of these days.....

a buddy was cool enough to hook it up on his stock harley st bob front turn sigs... i am going to wire them to act as my running/brake light/turn sigs for the rear of the cafe! they are in killer shape as well! HELL YA THANKS AGAIN!!! as an added bonus, while digging though dads attic for all his old bike parts i tracked down some xmas lights from the early 80's and about 50 extra bulbs! ha ha ha SICK!... i wrapped the house up in them tonight... no clark grizwald but it will do... did not get much done on the bike tonight... had to clean out hte carb on my snowblower... the jet was almost completely solid ha ha ha ooh well... she purrrrrs like a kitten now

snagged up some gasket paper... the people at the auto parts store are worthless... i got the hight temp gasket paper that was as tightly packed as i could find it... looks like it will work great... plan on cutting those out tomorrow... also ordered the parts i need to create an oil cooler for this bike... I am crossing my fingers that i can make this work! we will see...

2czavt2.jpg

mocked up where i think i will put them... already got the frame a bit dirty:) :

bgog15.jpg

Put another mount on the other light so that i have both mounting points:

287gql0.jpg

ha ha ha and a few shots of my house.. ya gay i know but i love the 80's lights

29xf155.jpg

2n8vmlj.jpg

Hey, what did the gasket paper run you a roll? I need side cover gaskets and I eaither have to buy a kit for 70.00 from oldbikebarn or single for 10 bucks each from bikebandit. If the paper is cheaper I can use a sharpi and exacto knife!

Cheers,

Mike

Maritime Biker said:
Hey, what did the gasket paper run you a roll? I need side cover gaskets and I eaither have to buy a kit for 70.00 from oldbikebarn or single for 10 bucks each from bikebandit. If the paper is cheaper I can use a sharpi and exacto knife!

Found this on Ebay. I'm not sure about quality but the price seems right.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__Honda-CB-CM400-Complete-Gasket-Set-NEW-173_W0QQitemZ200282659483QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2863QQddiZ2811QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item200282659483&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Thanks Colpumpkinnuts. I thought about those but my engine is now 450cc and the head gasket and base gasket would be the wrong size, although all the other gaskets and o-rings would work. I wonder if they have a kit for the 450, they might. I will ask them. $48 is better than $71.

Cheers,

Maritime

Awsome, I am going to the auto parts store on the way home from work to get some. Save quite a bit of $$ and can make as many gaskets as I need. Thanks fior the tip. Oh and thanks for the painting tips. I see your work and it is great. I have an oil cooler already on the 450 and it is black already, I just need to clean it up and recoat. I might strip the exhaust and go flat black as well. I like that look too. I think I will take some of my wifes stencilling plastic and make the gasket templates out of that as it is semi-clear and I can trace the inside and outside of the part. Then I can just lay it out on the paper and trace. I just hope she has a sheet big enough so I don't have to use more than one.

Good luck with the oil cooler. it should help. I got this motor because they beefed up the oil system with an external tube to the head and the cooler. I don't want another melted piston.

Back
Top Bottom