CB350 Engine rebuild: first timer, need some advice

Brad, he is here to learn something. I am giving him the benefit of some of my experience and knowledge. YOU are the one doing the putting down.

Do you have anything to contribute to the thread, or are you just going to give me shit?

Alright gents... Enough. Lets not ruin this guys thread. We all have a chance to really help the new member out.

^ ^not sure how you came up with that dawg

Op
Take your head and the bottom end of your engine to a machine shop with stock bore specs have them mic they will tell you is its standard size or over bore. Have the shop ball hone the cylinder wall (takes a few seconds) to deglaze. If the bore is good use the info they give you about your current piston size and buy rings. Leave the head there and have it checked for vales seats and valve job. If nothing else have some one that holding the part tell you its fine. After that is said and done you wont have but a few bucks in paying the shop and you cylinder will by ready to go back on. I would look real hard at the est the machine shop gives you. Some one on dtt has a head that is ready to run for a cb350 it may be cheaper to replace the head if your need extensive work. Ive sold heads for 25 bucks befor to get someone fixed. So figure out piston size for sure and buy rings and a gasket set, get a est on repairing your head and look at you options.

Thanks guys,
Looks like i may have to wait till payday to get all this stuff done but I found a few decent looking shops in my area.

Anyone know where to get a full gasket set for the best price? They can be had on ebay for 37 bucks shipped. Is that as cheap as they get? (its cheap i know, just don't want to waste money if I don't have to ya know?)

So just for fun while we wait:
Heres the engine freshly yanked
photobucket-20748-1318520295329.jpg

Here's the frame as she sits currently
photobucket-20003-1318520326039.jpg

And heres what i do when not messing with the bike
215584975_photobucket_64926_.jpg

good on you for having a go matey, least you will know its all good when you kick her over, if only for peace of mind then that will do!
im gonna rebuild my xs850 engine, just because i can, cases blasted , new coat of paint, cant beat it. ;)

Ordered new gaskets today, Going to the machine shop tomorrow hopefully to have the valve(s) fixed.
Should be reassembled next week some time hopefully.

I polished all the side covers, and painted the jugs and such. The engine will get a final coat of flat black as well.
photobucket-24880-1318802887237.jpg

Duplicolor ceramic low gloss black, with duplicolor self etching primer. Looks GREAT.
photobucket-15617-1318803034381.jpg

photobucket-10751-1318803214098.jpg

photobucket-24071-1318803282182.jpg

Now its time to start tearing into the frame ;D

Called around to a few shops and they wanted way too much to do the valve work so I just gave in and lapped the valve that was leaking.
Had to do it twice because i was being really gentle with it so as to not over do it.
Heres what it looked like before
PA210307.jpg

and after 2 rounds of 20 second laping
PA210313.jpg

and no more leaks. Looks to have done a great job. The contact patch didnt seem to get much if any larger, so I think I just did the right amount to clean things up a bit.
And heres the seat
PA210309.jpg

Anyway, once my seals come in it will be time to reasemble!

SONICJK said:
Yup,
Pulled it apart for fun mostly. And to clean it up and get a nice coat of paint on it.

Anyone have an idea on how much it should cost to have it bored .25 over?

.25 over pistons are available on egay for $70, used them, they're ok. just had 4 valves cut and stems ground to match the others, and two holes bored .25 over for $200, it's well worth it

So did the carbs tonight. Everything looks good except. The right carb is missing the slow jet. (The one that screws in under the rubber plug)
Anyone know where to get one? Carb kits don't seem to have them plus I don't need the whole kit.

Lap job looks good. (Last lap job I had was in a strip club.) :D

The mistake a lot of less experienced mechanics make is that they lap the valve too much and make the contact patch far too wide, and that can cause the valve seat to overheat and burn.

http://www.pjmotorsports.com/ is a pretty good source for jets. Just pull the jet from the other carb to get the number from it and see what type it is to compare with illustrations on the site. Unless your eyes are a lot better than mine, you will need a magnifying glass, (or at least reading glasses,) to read the number on the jet.

That's a drag.
Measure its dimensions like they show on the site, send that info along with the picture to the email address on the site and see if they can fix you up with the right jet.

Dr.J,
Those say they are for the CB550 and the CB350 Four cylinder.
I have a twin, any idea if they will still work?

Dr. J you are my hero.
Thanks,
This is why forums are the greatest use of the interwebs.
Justin

Got the engine reassembled and did that compression test that I shoulda done to start with.....
FAIL

ADC was right all along :eek:

So now I need to re ring it. It will be going to the machine shop tomorrow for .25 over just because the rings are cheaper and I will KNOW its right.

Had 0 compression, adjusted the valves and had 20 Lbs haha....added some oil to the cylinders and it jumped up to 60 so its the rings. (Will someone confirm that?)

What about the head gasket, can I reuse it? Its new and i was very careful on the teardown to not mess up the gaskets, are they still good or do i need another set (please say they are still good)

Back
Top Bottom