Order of piston rings on cb200

Bert Jan

Holy Modification Batman
cb200 twin 1974 -

tore the engine apart for a complete overhaul, but now i need the std 55.5 piston rings. Completely lost in the dark here. No one seems to have em. CMSNL (wich is 60 km from my home) Davidsilver, ebay.. no luck
i know the cl rings are the same, do you know any more models with the same rings? i want to get this show on the road.
the 0.25 (55.75) are out there. is grinding them down to std a "normal" move? i heard lots of different sounds on the net. help greatly appreciated!

Re: WANTED: cb200 std piston rings

Grab a set of 55.75 and gap them correctly. Take your time - they break easily.

hastings in usa .....
joe@ v cycle

Yeah! Found em! CMSNL has plenty but they have it wrong documented or sum.. Called them and next day delivered.

Question:
I have a oil ring (the thick one) and 2 "normal" rings per piston. I can't figure out how they need to be positioned. I have a manual but all it says is "mount with marks to crown in 120 degrees blabla". I located a very tiny "n" on the piston rings, so marks are go, but the manual also describes (per picture) how to assemble the top 2 rings. I don't know wich one is the upper and lower. I have two with just one color, wich is black, and two with two colors, black and a little grey edge. Wich one goes on top? My eyes are good, but not THAT good :p

usually the lighter colored ring is the top, the darker the second, and oil ring, the second ring often has a cut in the bottom edge that makes it like a scraper (if it's there, you'll know what I'm saying). also, make sure the .25 mark is up, 120 degrees isn't as important as that, and also, more important than the 120 stagger is to debur the edges of the cut, otherwise the rings won't spin and can gouge the cylinder. use some 400 grit and really lightly knock the super sharp edges off the gap, when you're done you shouldn't be able to see a chamfer at all (or you've gone too far) but you can feel that they're not sharp

thnx rcc! i found the std rings @cmsnl, so it's all good. Just needed to know the correct mounting order.
The std rings have a "N" mark, my guess it stands for "normal"? It's the only mark on them so they're going on the pistons with the "N" mark up.

Also, i'm woring on a external oil line to feed the cam. Just because i can :) It's my GF's (first) bike and i want it to be as reliable as a re-inforced concrete wall hehe

edit: my oil rings are one piece models, so even easier to mount.

N is 'Normal')
Stock Honda rings rings don't need de-burring
The 'middle ring is either tapered (which you can't see) or has a small step at bottom.
Top ring is always chrome faced on Honda, you'll see a light grey strip arond outside edge (since at least 1965, not sure about earlier ones)

Back
Top Bottom