Can anyone help me diagnose this? (Video)

Crazy thought but how are the main throttle shafts? On most CV carbs and EFI Throttle bodies, there are O rings or seals on the shaft ends. If they were removed for cleaning or eaten by the solvent, you could have a source or air ingress a.k.a. a leak.

That was a concern of mine, but when sprayed with the propane torch and carb cleaner there is no change in engine speed (at an Idle).

Pull the carbs off and connect the throttle cable.
Look at the engine side of carb and make sure butterflies are closing all the way
The slide position doesn't matter a damn, the butterflies control the air and vacuum controls slide position.
When you get it idling properly, try this for shits' n' giggles.
Remove carb top, remove slide.
nothing happens, it still idles fine if everything is set up right

Crazypj, that's not always true.
Most CV slides "bounce" at idle, feeding some extra fuel in the process. Look for yourself, its easily visible. There are some carbs with heavy slides that don't of course, british strombergs for example.
A common Ninja 250 problem is where it will suddenly jump from idle to a high rpm and hang there if the idle circuit is lean.
This happens because the CV slide bounces, it suddenly runs richer, all cylinders start firing, and it hangs there (with the slide partly open).
The op's Kawasaki may be doing this. If so, try running a thin guitar e string through the carb's idle circuits to clear things out.

If the slide is bouncing at idle, the butterfly valve isn't set properly and/or carb sync is off
The slide should NEVER move at idle, the bypass and air bleeds should be supplying all the fuel/air.
On 250 Ninja, they are set up real lean, slightly larger pilot jet allows carbs to work 'properly'
even if slide 'bounces' it shouldn't mave far enough to affect mixture if butterfly is closed, there are drillings either side of plate for transitions

I have no experience with this particular bike but the BS40 on GT750 Suzukis don't bounce and neither did the Keihins on the last CB900 I had or the CB350 a few decades earlier.

They should not be fluctuating unless something else is out of synch.

Good. Are both butterflies completely closed or is one further open than teh other?

Interesting problem you got there Millennium Falcon!
I solved a similar problem with our Ninja 250 after following many forum threads, many of which ended with "bike sold".
Why a lean idle circuit can cause rpm to jump 3krpm (with no throttle change) is still open to debate apparently, although everyone agrees that it happens. A similar issue is probably the more common "hanging idle" effect on decelleration, caused by lean slow circuit.

Back
Top Bottom