Deacon's CB350

Re: Deacon's 1972 CB350 Cafe Project

HerrDeacon said:
Yes, only very basic tools. Only thing I really have is a drill press. I even have to borrow my dad's jigsaw :(. Should be interesting, hopefully it turns out ok. I'll post the progress.

grab some wd-40 in a can and a brush, when you mark out your cut lines, brush them with wd-40 before you saw through the material, keep the cutting area wet with the wd-40 and you won't destroy any blades.

rockcitycafe said:
grab some wd-40 in a can and a brush, when you mark out your cut lines, brush them with wd-40 before you saw through the material, keep the cutting area wet with the wd-40 and you won't destroy any blades.
Sweet, thanks for the tip!

i use a 4 inch grinder with a cut off wheel to get the general shape then shape with a grinding disc then a flap wheel. It works pretty good. Might be worth the investment. I have used it to build all my brackets cut off all my brackets and shape a ton of metal.

Yeah, like RCC said, keep cooling/lubricating the blade and you'll be fine. Most of the time, the blade gets clogged, not worn.

--Chris

I have to agree with thompsonmx100. Use cutting wheels instead. It will make life easier for you. I only use the saw for intricate cuts when working with aluminum (I build aircraft for a living). Using flapper wheels and scotchbrite pads for final shaping will result in smoother lines and less "chatter" to file. Especially working with material as thick as 1/4". I agree that for 1/2" material, a saw would be a better tool to use. Make sure you pick up some half round hand files. They will make life so much easier for you when you finally get your parts cut.

aluminum is best cut with corse blades. 10/12/14 tpi on thinner stock, I don't switch to 18 or above unless I am using a bandsaw. BTW, a convertible bandsaw is well worth the investment if you are going to continue to need to make brackets and the like. cleaner cuts, quicker, less mess, less noise, no sparks (steel) and generally just a better way to do things.

beater said:
aluminum is best cut with corse blades. 10/12/14 tpi on thinner stock, I don't switch to 18 or above unless I am using a bandsaw. BTW, a convertible bandsaw is well worth the investment if you are going to continue to need to make brackets and the like. cleaner cuts, quicker, less mess, less noise, no sparks (steel) and generally just a better way to do things.

i have to agree with this... I use a pretty course blade at really slow speeds. I have even had great success using a wood blade on my bandsaw with the speed being crazy slow, but it tears through the wood blades pretty quickly. Course metal blades FTW

I've used a cutting bit on a die grinder before on aluminum with really good success. Just like stated above though, keep it lubed up. It's like butter though. Looks kind of like a drill bit with fins

115254_front200.jpg

Great tips guys, thanks. I would say that I'll be using a combination of these methods to get what I want. I already have a grinder with the necessary discs. I love those flap discs.

Unfortunately, with all the crazy Christmas shoppers out there I'll probably wait until it calms down before I venture out to get some jigsaw blades. I can't stomach going out with these crowds.

Rocan said:
i have to agree with this... I use a pretty course blade at really slow speeds. I have even had great success using a wood blade on my bandsaw with the speed being crazy slow, but it tears through the wood blades pretty quickly. Course metal blades FTW

I did the same thing after my bimetal blades were cutting like crap. The wood blades work alot better.

While I'm out getting jigsaw blades, I'll need to pick up a drill bit as well to make the hole for the 7/8" bearing. What kind of drill bit should I get for this in order to make a nice clean hole? Is there a certain type? Name?

Deacon,

When you finish would you make a list of everything you used and and how you liked it? I'm going to try this for my CB200 build.

diesel450 said:
Deacon,

When you finish would you make a list of everything you used and and how you liked it? I'm going to try this for my CB200 build.
Will do diesel. Also, I'll be following the great writeup by paultsmith on building the rearsets - http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=7970.0

But I'll be documenting everything I do as well, including the tools.

nothing beats a nice press drill for those perfect horses. any good quality bit should do... titanium FTW. i hate new press drills. there junk. I have a 1970s or so steeel giant thing, with a new motor in it and that thing is solid as a rock. and it ways about 200 pounds.... but man that drill is awesome. Steel... wood... stone.... ;D

i meant holes. i just realised i wrote horses and LOLed... gimme some slack ive been up since 5am shoveling snow all morning only to go to work. after all i was listening to that song... wildddd willddd horses.... etc etc :p (anyone realise how fricken tired i am?)

Never got as much time as I wanted to work on the 350 over the holidays, but got enough to polish a couple of things. Finished off polishing the sprocket cover and the alternator access cover (name?). Here are a couple of before/after pics.

Before (and yes I know the cover is on upside down, just put it like that to take a pic :) ):
leftSideCovers2.jpg

sprocketCover.jpg

After:
alternatorCoverPolished.jpg

polishedSprocketCover.jpg

Also, got a start on making the rear-set for the shifter side. Since I'm using the stock passenger peg bracket I first had to make a small piece to bring the shifter arm out past the bulge in the bracket itself and the frame. I just have it cut out roughly for now and will clean it up when everything has been completed and functioning correctly (you can see the rough cut in the pic below).

Now comes my mad fabrication skills :D :D :D You can see in the below pic how talented I am. If anyone would like one of these custom setups I'll be taking orders pretty soon. You'll be able to choose from 5 different stain colours. :D

Actually, I just cut out a bit of thin wood paneling to get an idea on the dimensions. After looking at it like this I'm going to try and turn it upside down instead so the linkage is on the bottom, just think it'll be a bit neater and hide the linkage rod a bit more.

Also, please don't try to copy this design as it's patent pending and I'll have to send my lawyers after you :D :D

shifterRearSetMockup.jpg

I particularly like your use of coat hanger, very edgy. 8)

diesel450 said:
I particularly like your use of coat hanger, very edgy. 8)

Don't underestimate the wooden rearset either. Very ecofriendly!

dude aside from the jokes. That slip on anchor system is rockin!! I dig it big time

Back
Top Bottom