Arrrrrrrgh! CARBS!

ccvsgod

Man Of Constant Throttle
Hey, I'm taking my CB650 carbs off, I'm not even that new to it, I've done it 5 or so times, but I can never remember exactly how I did it the last time. the boots are being such a mother fucker that I'm about to just yank and crack them out of frustration or try it with a crowbar across all 4, obviously a terrible idea. I've already got a ratchet strap holding the air box back, the boot clamps are all the way off too. I've already put my lower back out just pushing and pulling to no effect. I know you're not supposed to push them up and down but that's about my only option, barring some kind of machine made for it. How to mechanics do it? Anyone have any good tips for this that don't involve suicide or annihilating your carb boots? I'm starting to wonder if I can split them at the metal seam on the carb side with the short screws opposite the carb boot and just slide it out there, but that also sounds like a terrible idea. Anyone?

Thanks,
Veteran Newb.

PS. Argh.
Also - FUCK.

*thought of switching to pod filters just to get rid of the air box solely for carb removal/cleaning but it doesn't seem necessary since the air box does its job just fine. But anyone done that and recommend it?

Is the problem just that the carb boots are hard as a rock? I've been there, think I used a crowbar to get them off. Soak them in a boiling wintergreen/water mixture. Don't remember the exact recipe but google it. It'll soften them up

It worked. I don't know if that's a common technique but for anyone having trouble with a 4 cylinder's carbs, ratcheting them back does work well to cut out pulling and cracking the boots. I'm gonna do that from now on.

P1070158.JPG

Now, let see what a mess I can make of this with the carbs now that they're off…..

legitmw said:
Is the problem just that the carb boots are hard as a rock? I've been there, think I used a crowbar to get them off. Soak them in a boiling wintergreen/water mixture. Don't remember the exact recipe but google it. It'll soften them up
You DID rock a crowbar to get them off. Ever break or crack a boot because of it?

Soaking the carb boots overnight in xylene will also soften them by cleaning gasoline and oil deposits.

I bought new boots for my CB360, now the carbs fall off.....Amazing how hard rubber gets over 38 years...

If you are going on and off a lot, new rubber will make it MUCH easier

ccvsgod said:
Damage your engine at all or did you wrap it in something where it touched?

No and no. Just stuck it in there from above (that's what he said?) and gently applied a shit ton of pressure. and they finally came off. I took them off the other day after softening them with wintergreen about a year ago and it took some grunting and rocking back and forth but wasn't terrible.

Back
Top Bottom