1984 cr 500

1badr5

this is the newest beast to the stable. The original owner rebuilt the engine, replaced all the wearable items, and get this powder coated the frame purple!!!! I called about the bike and the owner said that he can't get it started after powder coating it and replaced all the electronics. so i made the trade for my cr250 pretty sure i know whats up.... yup HE NEVER CLEANED POWDER FROM GROUNDS !!! it fired to life 3rd kick at home after scraping the coating off. I decided to tear it all down and get it back to its old glory

and here is where the photo line up starts
The day i got it
1.jpg

tear down!!
2.jpg

new paint, pro taper bars/clamps
3.jpg

polished fins on engine,polished triple clamps, painted covers
4.jpg

tank looked like crap had weather cracking so i roughed it up with 100grit and did 3 coats of thinned fiberglass resin, sanding between coats, then painted. looks a lot better and now the paint on it shouldn't bubble from gas leaching threw the plastic
5.jpg

6.jpg

kids stepped on my chain slider and snapped it (it was poor condition any way) so i checked ebay for a replacement... 139 bucks!!!! no way says this ummmm frugal fella. I went to walmart and bought a cutting board 6.99, thats better
7.jpg

got the longest piece possible cut using a sawzall and a bi-metal blade, and formed it using a heat gun and c clamps. cuts super easy!
9.jpg

8.jpg

i drilled recesses in the new slider to counter sink the heads of the self taping screws well below flush, used a drill bit in my fingers to counter sink its that easy to cut with a sharp bit.

i have about an hour into it so far, i will have pics of the finished product once the paint on the swing arm dries and its mounted

i don't know if any place around here that does vintage racing (central louisiana) and honestly i have only ridden a dirt bike once lol. i do however have a paddle tire ordered and hope to have as much fun in the dunes on this as i did on my modded 84 honda 3 wheeler

finished product version 1.0 on the chain slider
IMG_8470.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

got my new fender in the mail $20 free shipping! a lot better tan the $230 for stock plastics that you can only find in red. the rear should be here monday same story 20 free shipping. they both came from different bikes that are 20 years newer
IMG_4619.jpg

also blasted and rubbed down the chamber with coarse->medium->fine steel wool hit it with acetone then shot with high temp rustoleum clear. by far my favorite part of the bike i have redone yet i really like the brazing and craftsmanship that went into these old bikes
IMG_8116.jpg

1badr5 said:
honestly i have only ridden a dirt bike once lol.

Oh boy, hold on! these things have some GO ;D

Nice job refurbishing it, are you going to get Honda stickers for it?

i would like to find some white honda cr500 wing stickers and some pro link stickers for the swing arm but i am to cheap for that maybe a sign company near me can make them ???

Back
Top Bottom