Seeley 519 CB750

Isn't a Hunt mag basically a Fairbanks/Morse with some adaptations and fitments for various motorcycles?

Technically Joe hunt used two types.
One is the round vertical one. Mostly seen on air cooled VWs and dragsters.

The other is similar to what ard used.
Yes, the base is a fairbanks tractor magneto.
Most of the "heads" are the same, they just use different mounts to work with different bikes.

Beautiful thing is they are stone axe simple and cheap to service.

"Ask me how I know"

325075076.jpg

A long time ago, before my hair turned gray...

Though some help of some members I was able to talk with Colin Seeley about the bike and some of the history. While not a windfall of information every little bike does help. I happen to really enjoy the history of old bikes and to be able to speak with someone that had such an impact on the industry is very humbling. It sounds sappy, but at the end of the day we are only stewards of these machines and I feel that it is important to gather as much information as possible and keep it with the bike.

It is known that the first six protoypes of the Seeley-Honda were built between May of 1975 and September of the same year. The production run of 302 units started in October 1975. Colin said that many of the bikes were sold into Germany. Unsure as to why that was the case. Maybe a racing series?

My bike was one of three that were delivered to David Ross of the American Ross-Seeley Racing Company. They were based out of New Hampshire. Funny that after all of these years the bike is still so close to where it started out. Colin confirmed that some of the frames were sold with out the plating and instead used stove enamel. I assume that is what my frame is.

Apparently a few years back David Ross’s daughter reached out to Colin Seeley and they all meet up at the Goodwood, but no contact has been made in a while. It seems that David Ross was a big Seeley racer and sort of a dealer. I have started doing some research on him and would like to try and reach out to them. Colin said that David was his first customer. Do not know if he means for any bikes, or just the Honda. From the little that I do know I have been able to find out the Ross had been involved in bringing these bikes to the states very early on.

Great to see someone working on a "real" Seeley.
Just thought I'd comment on your mag set up. It was made in the '70's by a company named ARD Engineering - you can see the raised letters in the casting. ARD stood for Alan D'arlo, the owner, designer and mfg. of the parts. My 40+ year recollection was that they were based in the Los Angeles area. I had a bunch of info on the company in a file someplace, but probably gone now.
Alan used the Morse Fairbanks for the CB750 setup but was also well-respected for his magnetos for other bikes (HD, etc.) as well. Don't know if they even exist anymore, but maybe a google search is in order?
Pat

ARD has shut it's doors.
He did make set ups for a few bikes.
They are the "more common" set up for the CB750, but many options are out there.

I have owned a few.
If anyone comes across one and needs help I would be more then happy to lend a hand.
I have all the part numbers and can rebuild them.

Will post some details as I rebuild the set up for the Seeley.

ARD also made a micro electronic mag in their later days, I have one on my '72 Norton Combat Commando...

312321129.jpg

Amazing bit of kit right there. Set it and forget it. No points, no magnets to fade; one moving part, the rotor.

I dearly wish these were still made, I'd buy twenty of them and put them on all my British big twins.

surffly said:
ARD has shut it's doors.
He did make set ups for a few bikes.
They are the "more common" set up for the CB750, but many options are out there.

I have owned a few.
If anyone comes across one and needs help I would be more then happy to lend a hand.
I have all the part numbers and can rebuild them.

Will post some details as I rebuild the set up for the Seeley.
that is very cool when i worked for mobil oil a cupl years in the field as a gas technician which covered servicing the compressors we had all the different brands of magnetoes and the kits as all of the converted from diesel to natgas engines in the field needed spark ign.. they are a pretty simple device a mag and reliable as a rock ,almost

xb33bsa said:
that is very cool when i worked for mobil oil a cupl years in the field as a gas technician which covered servicing the compressors we had all the different brands of magnetoes and the kits as all of the converted from diesel to natgas engines in the field needed spark ign.. they are a pretty simple device a mag and reliable as a rock ,almost

Most of the "tractor" ones are all basically the same too.
Morse, Fairbanks, WICO, ect.
Housings change and number of cylinders do, but that's about it

I work on airplanes. Piston aviation engines were still being produced with magneto ignition until pretty recently. Still a ton of them flying around with magnetos on them.

omgwtfbbq! said:
The IO 360 still runs mags doesn't it?

I'm sure the vast majority do. FADEC is finally making it's way into general aviation so the mags will probably start to disappear.

surffly said:
Aviation is always slow to adapt new tech.

Unless it's military, but yeah it took a long time for gen av to adapt to a full set of electronic instruments and now a lot of pilots use ipads even. head out to Alaska though and it's back to old school for those old bush pilots.

Nothin like the smell of 100LL in the morning

You are right. I really meant GA type stuff.
I don't think it really is a "stuck in ways" type thing as much as a "if it aint broke why fix it" kinda thing.

Next year the plan is to get my license and maybe even buy a plane.
I want to get back into aviation, but this time flying.
Used to work at a warbird museum and had a tone of fun!

surffly said:
Next year the plan is to get my license and maybe even buy a plane.
I want to get back into aviation, but this time flying.
Used to work at a warbird museum and had a tone of fun!

Find a nearby skydiving center that is looking for an extra jump plane and let them help you pay it off. Cessna 182's (get a wide body if possible) are by far the most common jump aircraft out there. Stick an IO520 or similar and good climb prop, wing extensions and a good gull-wing style right door mod and you are in business!

canyoncarver said:
Find a nearby skydiving center that is looking for an extra jump plane and let them help you pay it off. Cessna 182's (get a wide body if possible) are by far the most common jump aircraft out there. Stick an IO520 or similar and good climb prop, wing extensions and a good gull-wing style right door mod and you are in business!

That's a great idea!
Was actually looking at a 177 though. I restored one once. Underrated bird.
Would like something that I could put on floats down the line though.

Back
Top Bottom