The "Bomber" GL1100 project - added video

Re: The "Bomber" my GL1100 project

Nice, the tail light is really going to look the part. How much does the rear fender weigh? my guess is like 15 lbs. it being solid chromed steel. I think I just might have to pull mine and replace it wit a fiberglass smaller. I am definately shrinking up the tailight. I relaly like the way your cats eye fits with your seat. Looks lie you are staying 2-up cabable as well?

keep it up.

Cheers

4 layers, 5 in some places, and some trimming, I am calling it good and ready for foam an vinyl.

There is a 2 1/2" wide x 4" long piece of steel encased in the glass for a front mount and I think the rear is going to have a grab handle similar to this one... but a little further ahead so it bolts to the forward set of holes on the frame horns, right about where the brace is.

That should be plenty strong. The seat pan on my 79 was an aftermarket fiberglass and is nto that thick but holds 400+ lbs no problem. I take it from the design you aren't putting the rear fender back on. I was looking at mine and I think the fender is strucktural as the frame has little in the way of support. I want to ditch it and go with a fiberglass but now I am not sure as i want the back end strong enough. Can't wait to see what you do for the rear grab as I am fabbing something too and any inspiration will be great.

Keep it up.

Cheers,

Maritime

That seat pan is the shit! Nice work on that one! This whole build is going nicely! Keep it up!

Maritime Biker said:
That should be plenty strong. The seat pan on my 79 was an aftermarket fiberglass and is nto that thick but holds 400+ lbs no problem. I take it from the design you aren't putting the rear fender back on. I was looking at mine and I think the fender is strucktural as the frame has little in the way of support. I want to ditch it and go with a fiberglass but now I am not sure as i want the back end strong enough. Can't wait to see what you do for the rear grab as I am fabbing something too and any inspiration will be great.

Keep it up.

Cheers,

Maritime

Correct the rear fender is NOT going back on, and I think the the frame on my 1100 may be different that your 1000, I have a brace that you do not. It's at the rear frame horns, my seat pan covers it and is where the foam paading will stop. Hopefully you can see it in these early build pics.

Rear

Left

I noticed the brace, I think if I swap out the fender I will have to do something like that on my girl to cut down on the potential flex. The brace was likely an improvement in the second gen wings. Your seat is going to look pretty good I think

Cheers,

are you talking about the brace on the back? the one that is on the front forks is a MUST with all the weight that bike has behind it. a must. when i coated my brothers i was blown away by how thick that sucker was! just like the ones i use on harleys!

Nope, I got the front brace under the fender. I won't take that off. I actually liek the one that is on the 1100 and may buy one like it for the 1000. The one in the rear on the 1100 is what I was talking about. The 75-79 wings don't have the brace at the back part. The fender is thick steel and is bolted in place and I believe it is part of the bracing in the rear. The 80 up wings seem to have thinner fenders and instead have the welded braces across the back of the frame. I want to ditch the rear fender to save weight but I don't want the bike flexing too much so I may have to have a brace welded in to compensate. My wifes uncle is a welder and I am going to get him to weld up my pipes on my 450, so I might just get him to weld up a brace at the same time on the frame. I haven;t weighed the rear fender yet but it is bloody heavy and thick, it has to weigh at least 10 lbs if not more. A smaller glass one should be a lot less.

Cool build man. Original! not many people build wings, but I think they have alot of potential. And whoa are the smooth to ride. My room mate has a gl1100 that he just rode from pheonix to key west. Im def. gonna have to show him this build so he can have a bike i dont mind cruisin next to hahaha. Good luck man!

Finally, the Sun, Moon, Stars and my schedual all aligned and I got this engine painted with Duplicolors 1615 last night. Lots of nooks and crannies to clean and scuff before hand, steel wool, Scotch-brite, rubbing alcohol, and toothbrush... but it finally all worked out.

What the? So the bastard is gonna have a bigger brother. This build is awesome.

Nice, gonna look like a brand new motor in the bike.

Now that the engine is all fancy, you got to get it back in, that will be fun, it only weighs what 250-300 lbs? Don't scratch it up. If I lived closer I would come give you a hand.

Cheers,

Maritime

Full figured gal indeed! Very fun project you have going! That pic from fleabay is quite nifty...I kinda dig the lowered wing but I wonder about...you know....turning corners! Ha!

I always thought a GL based sandrail engine would be badass!

That's a good question - how do you get the motor in + out on these? Fork lift?

Good work so far Hoosier!

Staffy said:
What the? So the bastard is gonna have a bigger brother. This build is awesome.
Hell yea, you didn't think the 350f was called "Lil Sister" for nothin did ya?! :D
You guys support and wanting more gets me fired up! Thanks!!!!
The engine does weigh a friggin metric ton, but the lower frame section on the left side is removable to hep get it in and out.

When I pulled it I used a floor jack. Now I've built a dolley, like a small creeper with tall wheels, to the right height to reinstall it, should go in much easier.

That monster is so awesome! Can't wait for the final product. Seriously cool project.

Back
Top Bottom