Alex Z's new RoboHand!

grandpaul

Author, "Old Bikes"
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
My son Alex was born with ABS (Amniotic Banding Syndrome), resulting in a shortened left forearm & palm with only one finger/thumb (more thumb-like in operation, but in the relative position of an index finger).
412206122.jpg

We have inquired over the years into several options including prosthetics, and were always advised to wait until he was at least 4 or 5 years old.

Recently, my wonderful wyfe, Sally, saw a report on TV about simple-to-make robotic hands, and she put me on the research trail where I found the e-Nable organization with it's totally open-source software and hand designs (relatively inexpensive hands to end-users). The big drawback is a 6-month waiting list.
412206120.jpg

So, I did a bit more research and snatched an almost-new 3D printer of my own on e-bay.
412206135.jpg

It didn't take too much to get the printer humming, but it took 29 hours to complete the print job! I sat next to that printer for almost 18 of those hours, monitoring the progress, taking pictures, and attempting to correct for unanticipated errors due to the sensitivity of the printer to it's immediate environment.
412206124.jpg

In the course of the printing, some flaws in the project became evident which were caused by incorrect preparation and incorrect software settings due to the unknown specifications of the print media that was supplied with the printer.
412206127.jpg

412206131.jpg

Anyway, I easily corrected the errors with a little bit of work and some 2-part epoxy glue and putty.
412206133.jpg

End result: Alex has his first RoboHand! It's a "Raptor" design (very basic).
412206134.jpg

A couple of drawbacks besides the print flaws: It is too small for his chubby arm and palm, the wrist joint won't fit "flat" in the joint space, so the range of motion with the wrist rotated in place requires excessive force to produce a very weak grasp (I will scale up the print size on the reprint). Also, I selected the heavier elastic cord from the two sections that were included in the hardware kit, that resulted in even more effort to clench the grip (I'll use the lighter elastic cord on the re-print).

Alex about to hand his Mom a flower he made-
412206117.jpg

So, Blue & Red spools of media are on order, a printing area enclosure being planned (shouldn't take more than a few hours to set up), and the 2nd iteration will be MUCH better!

And now, back to the shop to pay for the printer...

That's awesome! That smile is worth the cost any day.

That printer will pay for itself once everyone finds out you have it. Buddy of mine has one and he makes all kinds of impossible to get parts for people.

I think that project should be on the banner. ;)

Well done Sir! 8)

Drewski said:
I think that project should be on the banner.

If he was using it on the clutch lever of a bike capable of doing the ton, I would consider it appropriate. Give him 11 more years...

Back
Top Bottom