Does anyone still build Cafe Racers or is it not fashionable anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanGSUK

Strength is measured in tolerance, not mass
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone still build Cafe Racers or is it not fashionable anymore?

A lot of the posts on here are quite old?

Maybe people have built their bikes and no longer need to post stuff (myself included!) or it has just no longer a phenomenon?

What do you lot think?

Everyone is obsessing over the latest and greatest "brat" trend, poor execution, and machines which perform worse than stock, rather than better. It seems true café style builds are no longer all the rage as they were a few years back. Sad.

No one wants to ride with dudes that have mid-sets and clip-ons. Looks like they're taking a hard-one all around town.

coyote13 said:
Everyone is obsessing over the latest and greatest "brat" trend, poor execution, and machines which perform worse than stock, rather than better. It seems true café style builds are no longer all the rage as they were a few years back. Sad.

The brat trend is so yesterday's news. It's all about scramblers now.

Me- I'm currently building two more new cafe racers because I like the style. I personally don't post build threads here anymore because the same half dozen people who seem to set the tone of this forum these days usually have nothing good to contribute.

I could care less about the labels people put on bikes. I think it depends on where you ride and/or the kind of riding you like to do. Just buy/build one that fits you, and ride it. That is, of course, assuming you built it to be ridden. ;)

Personally, my old wrists and hands can't take riding with clip-ons or clubmans any more. :p No more cafe-style bikes for me. It's Superbike bars or something along those lines. That's one reason the Mongrel is 4 sale. Time to move on. :D

Just a couple years ago, this forum seemed a lot more active. Anymore it seems that a serious post with serious build questions pretty much gets ignored.

Then someone comes along with a new project who is saying they're looking for opinions, when what they are really just looking for affirmation that they're doing the right thing. Then it's a merciless dog-pile onto the poster. In a single day it's up to 10 pages. Seems many members here are only seeking entertainment at someone else's expense.

So, these days I pretty much just do my own thing. My last post on my current dual sport Sportster (or Scrambler Wanna-be. Whatever) project was back in December.

Don't consider myself a builder, basically do the same thing to every bike I get for the past 30+ years. Strip excess weight, smaller mirrors and turn signals, superbike bars, maybe a duckbill on the back and a good tuneup. Ride it for a while and find something else.

Mike Lawless said:
So, these days I pretty much just do my own thing. My last post on my current dual sport Sportster (or Scrambler Wanna-be. Whatever) project was back in December.

I was wondering about your build. How's it going?

Mike Lawless said:
Just a couple years ago, this forum seemed a lot more active. Anymore it seems that a serious post with serious build questions pretty much gets ignored.

Then someone comes along with a new project who is saying they're looking for opinions, when what they are really just looking for affirmation that they're doing the right thing. Then it's a merciless dog-pile onto the poster. In a single day it's up to 10 pages. Seems many members here are only seeking entertainment at someone else's expense.

I couldn't agree more. i find myself weeding through heaps of crap, hoping to find something constructive- often to no avail.

Drewski said:
I could care less about the labels people put on bikes. I think it depends on where you ride and/or the kind of riding you like to do. Just buy/build one that fits you, and ride it. That is, of course, assuming you built it to be ridden. ;)

+1

Could not have been better said. "One man's garbage is another man's treasure!" To some OEM is perfection... to others it's a starting point. Taste is personal and cannot be argued, and one last idiom "Life is not a competition! It's a journey that you direct!

;)

I'm still working on my 650. It's a long enjoyable process. I've made two tails for it and coming up with a idea for another one.
I don't really care how trendy something is. If I like it I'll do it.
I had GL that went from a Silverwing to a Pterodactyl and sold it to a guy that had to have it.
I still see Café racers in my future because I like doin it!

Thanks for the replies.

I thought that the scene had changed - glad in a way - sad in another. As long people keep on building interesting bikes out of all sorts then that is great!

Personally, I have changed my bars from clip-ons, just makes long rides more enjoyable and I can put the turning limit of the handle bars back to stock as I don't have to worry about hitting the tank.
Now I'm going for the 'barn find' look, so it looks like a pile of crap that's been left sitting around, but at a closer look you can see it is all well maintained and functional.

Pic was taken at the weekend, I got a flat rear :-[
Don't know why it is upside, goes right way up if you click on the image.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 262
Mike Lawless said:

preach it man !!

yep let the morons run wild, it's great for the industry the hobby and the sport ::)

buncha dipshits building bikes is the problem

I have a "cafe" project in the wings. Also have a DT250 scrambler, an FZR something or other, a chopper, and a daily beater GS750 that needs love. All waiting on a place to work (buying a house). I still like the "cafe" aesthetic, and the idea of making a bike handle and perform better. It's just not the ONLY thing I like. I think a lot of folks on here feel that way.

They built a couple "cafe racers" and moved on to something different. This place would be real boring if everyone was still doing the same old thing they were years ago.

As far as the other issues with DTT, we as members are responsible for every one of them. It's pretty simple really. Tim let's the loonies run the nut house, and if the assholes are taking over it's our fault. Instead of complaining or letting active build threads die we should be trying to build the site back up. I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to the negativity floating around here lately, an I'll apologize for that.

So let's get back into the garage, build whatever the hell makes us smile and keep filling the best motorcycle forum on the Web with awesome build threads.

See yinz on the road and in the garage!

VonYinzer said:
I have a "cafe" project in the wings. Also have a DT250 scrambler, an FZR something or other, a chopper, and a daily beater GS750 that needs love. All waiting on a place to work (buying a house). I still like the "cafe" aesthetic, and the idea of making a bike handle and perform better. It's just not the ONLY thing I like. I think a lot of folks on here feel that way.

They built a couple "cafe racers" and moved on to something different. This place would be real boring if everyone was still doing the same old thing they were years ago.

As far as the other issues with DTT, we as members are responsible for every one of them. It's pretty simple really. Tim let's the loonies run the nut house, and if the assholes are taking over it's our fault. Instead of complaining or letting active build threads die we should be trying to build the site back up. I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to the negativity floating around here lately, an I'll apologize for that.

So let's get back into the garage, build whatever the hell makes us smile and keep filling the best motorcycle forum on the Web with awesome build threads.

See yinz on the road and in the garage!

Can I hear an amen? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom