GS1100g Cafe Racer - Project Romesy

Yes, You're right, I do need anti sieze. Luckily I havn't put any on yet.

As for the fins, yes they will be getting a sanding with the dremel..all in good time my friend!

So, I've been a bit quiet of late. Not because I dont want to work on the bike, but because I anualy try and go to NZ for a bit of a snowboarding sesh with the boys. I think its healthy to get away every now and then, and rest the mind and work.

Here's what I had to deal with..Just for some perspective, 1 week before we got there, there was no snow. It was claimed the worst season ever in NZ. It was mid July and they had a 20cm base. Then 2 days before we got there, it dumped, and it boy did it dump hard. We had 2 meters of fresh white fluffy powder. Great holiday...

183.JPG

184.JPG

185.JPG

And so when I came back, My powdercoater called me and told me the frame was done. I actually wanted it done in orange (sounds strange I know) but I have seen a very nice powder-coat orange, which is more red but has a nice orange tang. It was going to cost too much because it was not a colour they had on stock. So I went with a flame blood red. Which is pretty red, but in the sun its a little lighter than red.

It turned out good. Not excellent, just good. But good is good enough for me. I was quite upset that they didn't plug up the threads like they said they would...I thought it would take ages to clean up the threads, but it didn't.
He gave me some Gun Wash that he cleans the powder gun with, i put some on a cotton bud and rubbed it in the threads. Left it for 5 mins and then used a Tapp to remove the rest of the powder in the threads. I didn't do them all yet just the ones for the swingarm (was very worried bout those as they were bigger than anything I had a tapp for. So i used the largest tapp and swirled it through the thread....hope it makes sense! lol.

179.JPG

180.JPG

And I also purchased this...I really wanted a small battery that could start up my GS and was small enough to leave the frame nice and open. This should just about do it.. :)

181.JPG

182.JPG

Well hey, another big body Shafty GS Cafe bike. Nice project, coming together nice. Interesting idea on how you worked past the dipped rear frame. Totally different method than how I solved the problem on my GS850 shaft. Looking forward to seeing this bike come together.

So I have been making progress. Actually reached a very big milestone. Last night I took off the oil sump, and removed the gasket, and replaced it. I had a gasket but after lots and lots of reading, I was worried that it would leak. So I decided to use a Permatex gasket maker which is designed for oil sumps. Permatex gaskets have been proved and tested commercially on trucks and they had no leaks. Thats good enough for me! Plus, it looks like the PO put a few little gouges on his last seal replacement... not a risk i want to take. (I know alot of you swear by OEM gaskets, but there has been amazing technology since 1983...)

Then I Decided to put the engine in.
Tipped the frame on its side (on some polystyrene) and me and my mate gently placed the frame over it. Bolted it in and up she goes. Not a scratch, not a dint. All is well :)

Now I am on the road to getting this thing built.

Also got the wheels powder coated black, it came up really well.

2011-08-07+20.00.45.jpg

2011-08-07+20.01.23.jpg

2011-08-07+20.01.00.jpg

Hey I recognise this build! 'Tis pete from the GSR here... nice work, looking awesome!

Did you get your missing motor mounts sourced?

hahah Hey pete...yeah check this
I found one but missing the other...which is not critical for now

"what stupidity and luck on my behalf! [/size]
I decided that today I would do a massive clean out of my garage. Basically move everything and leave no stone unturned, if nothing, atleast I would have a very clean garage again. So i didnt find anything. which was ok. Then when I was almost done, I sat down for a cigarette, and as I look down, i see one of the missing pieces (number 2)...under a piece of cardboard....right next to the rest of the mounts.....The only place I didnt look, was where it would actually be. So it turns out all along, it was in the place that it should have been....haha..Number 5 is long gone though..however one will be on the way soon! "

Nice! Can't wait to see that thing together... that red frame is great too. Decided on tank and bodywork colour yet?

Hey Pete!!
oohsam, this is my favorite part of a build... nice shiny parts, all staged ready for reassembly... GOOD TIMES!
Man she's gonna be a looker!

as to the permatex... if you say so. :-X

Me too! thanks!

Tank will be black with red highlights, and the seat will be black with red highlights.
The forks, brakes handlebars will be black, the light will be chrome.

We'll see hwo it looks.

Mate that sounds great to me! What I'm visualising looks good, but yeah havta wait and see...

Hoosier, just found your build thread too, nice :)

Hello my good friends.
I have been missing a while....Not becuase I do not want to work on Romesy, more that it was the Holy month of Ramadan, for the past month, which has no just ended. It's hard to allocate any time to work on the bike, as I'm fasting all day. I break my fast at sunset and then head off to the mosque to spend about 2 hours praying. By the time I come home, its pretty late and I just want to sleep.

I did however manage to get quite a bit of work done in the past week (since ramadan was finished a week ago!).

Fitted rear swingarm, assembled shaft, assemblred new shaft spleen to wheel, installed new bearings etc. The PO was missing some spacers from the rear axle, so I'm waiting on some I bought from Canada (Ebay) to arrive. Should be here today or tomorrow...

186_a.jpg

Painted Forks matte black (and triple tee)...nice.

186.jpg

Fitted front forks...nice

187.jpg

The front end of this bike is getting a brake upgrade. The original brakes are terrible, so its getting the kawasaki ZG1000 twinpot brake upgrade. Drilled out CBR disc mounting holes to 8mm (pattern is the same) Fitted front wheel bearings, fitted front wheel. Scratched the forks a little, so I had to touch that up...fitted the side stand. I'm not fitting the centre stand. Although its useful, i think it looks worse than its practacillity....

188.jpg

Also installed the handlebars but didn't take a pic of that yet. Its starting to look like a bike now.
I started overhauling the ZG1000 calipers. I'm missing a little spring clip so I had to order that, but in the meantime they are getting a good clean. Got some new pads to put on it then they get fitted and for the first time since I had the bike, I should have some brakes! yay!

Also waiting on the entire bolt set to fit the rear shocks. again, the PO didnt have the bolts/spacers/washers etc required. So they are coming from the U.S....hence why the rear end is resting on the rear tyre....which I might add are new Pirelli's :) Got them cheap from ebay in Sydney. Only paid 20bux shipping to Melbourne.! Oh yeah.

Front brake fitted.......Kawasaki ZG1000 calipers...Honda CBR900RR rotors...oh yeah.
Cant wait to give these things a go :)

189.jpg

Man those things look so freaking mean that when you pull the brake lever in you'll flip over the handle bars!

Are those calipers on the correct sides? The bleed nipple should be on top.

Wait until you grab some brake and the forks feel like they are bending like they are made of bamboo. Nice to see a bright red frame again.

Back
Top Bottom