Bad Morning

jonescafe72

Been Around the Block
I've been told that it's not a matter of if you go down, but when you go down. Everyone lays their bike down at least once. Well, mine happened this morning on the way to work. Only a block from my house, I must have hit some sand, or something slick on the road. I turned a corner, at low speed, and the rear just kept going. I throttled it to straighten it out, and it abruptly came back around too far, and threw me over the top. Of course it had to happen on my BMW (expensive parts), the only bike I owe money on. It's only cosmetic stuff, and luckily I installed engine guards this summer. I'm a bit sore. My knee is swollen pretty big, and I have a good size scrape on my right side. My helmet is scraped up, so now it goes in the trash, and my jacket has scuff marks on it.
I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but that is why I always wear gear. Better to walk away and only lose a bit of pride.
By the way, while the bike was still down, two bikes and three cars drove past me and only one person stopped to see if I was OK.

Hope your body heals as fast as your pride, most of us have been there. Dont surprise me that other motorists passed you bye, last time I laid my KZ650 down at an intersection I had a lady blowing her horn at me....then as she goes around me while I'm still laying on the ground she yells at me that I'm holding up traffic. In my case I hit a wet manhole cover at about 10 Mph mid turn.

Glad to hear your ok and still kicking. I see too many people down my way getting round with shorts and a t-shirt and all you can do is shake your head knowing that when the day comes, they'll wish they cared more about their skin and well being than their image. Hope the BM and the leg come out of this ok bro.

After re-reading your post I noticed you are throwing out your helmet....Good to hear, it's done it's job, time for a new one.

I have a few RETRO helmets kickin around but they are just ornamental now, I replace mine evey other year, and yeah I know I dont look the part wearing a full face helmet while on my old school bikes but I just dont feel safe on the bike with a half lid on LOL. Makes ya shake your head when you see a dude and his lady ridin their sportbikes wearing tank tops, shorts, and sandals....but they have a full face helmet on, ya just know they have never been down before. ROAD RASH hurts.....ALOT :eek:

Oh man. Sorry to hear that. I hate that feeling that comes after dumping a bike. Glad to know you are a smart rider.

jonescafe72 said:
Better to walk away and only lose a bit of pride.

+1
Glad to hear you're ok and hope you feel better soon! Just curious-do you guys wear leather pants as well as a jacket?

Been there and done that, I took a hit on the chin wearing a half helmet while testing the brakes on my brothers bike. Nothing major but it was enough to convince me that a full lid is the way to go. I enjoy having my jaw sitting where's it been for the past 36 years.

Glad to hear you're alright.

Jay

m357.5 said:
After re-reading your post I noticed you are throwing out your helmet....Good to hear, it's done it's job, time for a new one.

I have a few RETRO helmets kickin around but they are just ornamental now, I replace mine evey other year, and yeah I know I dont look the part wearing a full face helmet while on my old school bikes but I just dont feel safe on the bike with a half lid on LOL. Makes ya shake your head when you see a dude and his lady ridin their sportbikes wearing tank tops, shorts, and sandals....but they have a full face helmet on, ya just know they have never been down before. ROAD RASH hurts.....ALOT :eek:
Damn man are you in my head or what 8)

me and my boy were in this big motorcycle dealership right by my house just looking around on a rainy day recently. We ended up in the gear section and I was checking out the boots. He made some remark about them being ridiculous. I think some people just want to ride and not make any sacrifices when doing it. I can completely understand this feeling, a lot of gear is either uncomfortable or not exactly stylish off a bike. However I think thats the price you pay for being able to safely enjoy riding a motorcycle.

on a side note, I saw someone mention leather pants. And while I am all for safety, I dont know if leather pants are for me. Is denim not enough? I know that denim will burn through on a long enough slide, but isnt it adequate to ride with? Or is it not much different than wearing shorts?

I don't know much about how resilient jeans are. I wear them every day when I ride. I have pants with vents and armor for traveling, and I have pants for track use. Neither one would be comfortable enough for every day use. When I went down the other day, I was wearing jeans. I have a good size scrape on my left knee, a scrape on my right shin, and a small scrape on my right side. I must have been tossed around quite a bit. I'm sore as hell right now, but all of my safety gear did their job superbly. It cost me a helmet, but it is a small price to pay. OH, and by the way, there isn't even a mark on my jeans. Gotta love Levis.

Sorry to hear about your accident (especially on a BMW). But wasn't there a episode of Mythbusters where they tried dragging a guy from a horse just to tear up his jeans? Obviously they started out in the dirt but I think by the end of it they were putting denim on a belt sander or something.

Big R said:
Sorry to hear about your accident (especially on a BMW). But wasn't there a episode of Mythbusters where they tried dragging a guy from a horse just to tear up his jeans? Obviously they started out in the dirt but I think by the end of it they were putting denim on a belt sander or something.

They did but they were testing whether it'd catch fire or not http://mythbustersresults.com/episode89

And they tried to go down a steel cable with them too http://mythbustersresults.com/episode99 but they didn't go the distance.

Maybe denim can't be relied upon....

Condolences and congatulations....you walked away. Here in Australia we have a super parrot called 'Galahs', who sit in trees at 'S' bends and screem 'Banzai' as a pack bomb you mercilessly.

Living in the country, on a warm summers morning, I forgot about the little bast...ds, and didn't notice the grader had edged the road, and at about 60mph did an avarian assisted gravel kiss.

Like you, bruised ego (and chest where one of the sods hit me), expired helmet, jeans totalled, and a leather jacket that now looks 'justified'. And the nurse who 'brilloed' the gravel out of me was as cute as hell, but for some reason I just wasn't interested.

If the damage is cosmetic (to the bike that is) ride on.... all the others who really ride will just reminisce and nod knowingly!

m357.5 said:
Dont surprise me that other motorists passed you bye, last time I laid my KZ650 down at an intersection I had a lady blowing her horn at me....then as she goes around me while I'm still laying on the ground she yells at me that I'm holding up traffic.

That's ridiculous.

The one time I ever went down, the first person that saw it happen stopped right away and helped me pick up my gasoline dripping, ridiculously heavy xs1100.
Ripped one of my brand new boots completely in half, little bit of rash on my hands...

I believe had I had your experience that lady would be calling her insurance company for new glass and repair for several helmet sized dents down the side of her car.

Mate, the public response depends on so much, eg, usually city people don't have a good reputation for giving a hand, on the other hand; country people will pick you up, dust you off, put the bike in the back of the ute, and drop you off either at the pub or hospital depending on your condition. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule...

and bless the exceptions

I've thought about picking up a pair of fire hose jeans from Duluth Trading Co. for daily riding around town. They don't have the padding but they're tough as hell. http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/sitesearchresults.aspx?pg=1&p_keyword=fire+hose+pants&p_origin=86125&processor=content

Glad your ok man...

As far as pants, there are jeans out there that can handle some serious abuse and look normal. But there not cheap (there worth it if they save your ass, but not cheap). I wear carhart work pants at work and they hold up to crazy abuse (i could teach an OSHA what not to do course ;)) but ive always been interested in how these would hold up to laying a bike down. http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productID=17102&TabID=548&cm_sp=ItemBanners-_-WhatsHot_548-_-17102I know some guys who swear by em, but im not sure... They wouldnt do much to stop rash, but Ive been told theyll stay together. That and the optional knee pads are nice...

So long as Nurse Ratchet :mad: and her abraisive gravel removing scrubbing pads are held at bay - that's all that matters. (There's an ad' going around here in sunny Australia at the moment 'If it's too hot to wear your protective gear - it's too hot to ride!'), not bad if you think about it.

Back
Top Bottom