Moving to Toronto!

Indian Road / Bloor West Village are both right up in my neck of the woods and great places to live.

Ya, second the comments about living in the city, particularly as close as possible to the site. I don't mind biking in the city, at the times I do drive in town during rush hour, my teeth start to ache...

And ignore Drew/Noel... those two rich boys are giving me a bad name....

Hey man! If you're only looking for short term, search out sublets. You should be able to find a place that's furnished and good to go.

As for what part of town, if you're 20-30-ish and like night life, the boundary you're looking at is south of Bloor, west of University, North of King and east of Roncesvalles. This is the quarter. This area is populated by a lot of great bars (Ossington/Dundas, Kensington Market and College/Bathurst are the bigger good bar areas), restaurants, parks, shops, etc. Like I told you earlier, I'd highly recommend getting a shared house. It's a great way to meet locals and get the hang of what's what.

You won't need a car in Toronto. If you're bringing one to Toronto you should just find long term parking in a garage. Street parking is rare and the signage is cryptic...not to mention that parking tickets are $30 min. Motorbikes have the advantage of free street parking...but you're coming here in the winter so I doubt you'll get a chance to take advantage of that. Although it might be shit to a lot of other major cities, the transit here is quick and covers every where you need to go.

Drinks
Music
News

Represto said:
Oh...and people in Toronto pronounce both T's! ;D

ahhh Josh is leading u on.
If you pronounce ToronTo... Then you'll stand out like a sore thumb!
No local pronounces the city name like that.....
It's pronounced: Torannna... :)

^ This was the point I was trying to get across. A great Toronto pass time is debating how to actually say that name of the city. This debate is as old as time...like a conversation on who's better; the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.

Yeah I don't think anyone is going to mistake me for a Toronto native... I'm a Newfie. Haha.
I don't really have much of a Newfoundland accent but you guys would probably pick up on it pretty fast.

Also, Beatles, and "Tor-on-oh". But I'm not trying to start anything. :D

Represto said:
Let your Newfie colours shine!

Haha, Hard not to.

I'd love to bring up a few cases of Newfie beer (Blue Star, India, Black Horse & Jockey Club) so you all can enjoy the good stuff... But I'd just end up drinking it... Probably at my road trip stops...

BTW, I'm stopping in NB, Maybe Montreal, and def Ottawa along the way.
I'm doing New Years in Ottawa with a few friends. Should be a laugh!

Still on the hunt for a place if anyone hears of something. Time is tight now. I need to put a deposit down on a place soon or I'll be setting up my truck tent in a parking garage.

The $750 rental I posted above is in the lead, but she stopped writing me back... Hope no-one saw it here and snagged it. Haha.

5 weeks and counting...

Represto said:
Great if you're a heavy sleeper: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/sub/1485706451.html

I am a heavy sleeper. And living above a bar is pretty appealing... But they're only renting until March. :-\

Hey Ease I live in NB, Moncton if you need a crash spot on your way through. Hotles are just too expensive.

Maritime Biker said:
Hey Ease I live in NB, Moncton if you need a crash spot on your way through. Hotles are just too expensive.

Thanks! Luckily I have a place to crash in Oromocto on the 29th, but I really appreciate the offer!

I agree hotels are brutal. I would have either looked for a hostel or slept in the truck. lol.

Cool, no problem, sleeping in the truck would be a bit cold this time of year! If you need a spot to stop and take a break on the way home to the rock, just let me know.

Cheers,

Maritime.

PS have fun in Toronto!

*Update*

So I still haven't found a place, and now a friend of mine has a placement in Mississauga and wants to split a 2 bedroom somewhere in the middle of the two jobs.

What is the commute from Mississauga to downtown on a bad day? Via bus and/or driving...

Ease said:
*Update*

So I still haven't found a place, and now a friend of mine has a placement in Mississauga and wants to split a 2 bedroom somewhere in the middle of the two jobs.

What is the commute from Mississauga to downtown on a bad day? Via bus and/or driving...

Really depends where you are in Mississauga. Its a pretty big city. If you are in the south near the lakeshore GO train line, the commute downtown is not bad. However, if you are in the northern part, its a bigger commute.

There's a rail and bus based transit system that should serve your needs.

http://gotransit.ca/

Why should both of you have to suffer with a commute? Why don't you get a place downtown...and let him do all the commuting? Your days off will be more fun if you're NOT in Mississauga....unless you like hanging out at CostCo. :p

Represto said:
There's a rail and bus based transit system that should serve your needs.

http://gotransit.ca/

Why should both of you have to suffer with a commute? Why don't you get a place downtown...and let him do all the commuting? Your days off will be more fun if you're NOT in Mississauga....unless you like hanging out at CostCo. :p

I agree with your last paragraph. Haha.

I'm still looking at places downtown, even for just myself. But I don't want to leave the guy with nowhere to live - he isn't going to be making as much so maybe I could offer to pay for his transit pass. :D

I'm hoping to still get a shared place, but with 2 available rooms...

dgrayca said:
Really depends where you are in Mississauga. Its a pretty big city. If you are in the south near the lakeshore GO train line, the commute downtown is not bad. However, if you are in the northern part, its a bigger commute.

I think his office is closer to TO... I think it was listed as a 30 min drive from my job site at 2 Spadina Ave.

Are there parking spots available in the DTT garage?

Tim, you mentioned the possibility of getting a deal from a forum member?

I may have a place with no parking, but that is close to my work, with a couple other students. Place looks great... But I'm already sold on driving... So I'm kinda stuck.

Back
Top Bottom