board trackers?

mikeadamstattoo

Coast to Coast
i see that derringer company making old 1920s looking board track racers, anyone ever try mounting like a 50cc zongshen engine onto a bicycle frame and making a vintage looking board track bike from scratch? is it possible with a bicycle frame if you welded in some engine mounts? this is something id like to do down the line for fun.

derringer_450.jpg

nvm guess thats a common thing and im just out of the loop...

http://www.bikeberry.com/silver-grubee-skyhawk-48cc-bicycle-engine-angle-fire-kit-epa-cer.html

imagemagic.php

Awesome looking scoot. ChrisF messed around with adding a motor to a bicycle and I believe someone else one here did as well. I think Chris even has some video if I remember right. Cool stuff!

hmm id be down for making one. and making it look like i found it in a barn from the 20s rugged and patina-ed to hell and back like my tattoo machines.

god now im gonna have all these projects and nothing finished! why must google find me these goodies!??!

walmarts website has some decent beach cruiser bikes thatd be perfect for this around $150-$200, and $150 for that engine kit, and however much to weld a very square and long aluminum tank, it could be a sweet cheap fun build.

hmmm.....

something to chew on: http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com//Motorbike/index.htm

One thing to think about are the welds. Take a close up of the ones on the Ridleys. I don't think you'll find that on a wallyworld bike. However I'm not sure how strong the frame would even need to be anyhow. On second thought I guess the motors are designed to be bolted onto a bicycle anyhow...

Holy crap the Ridley is pricey! http://shop.ridleymotorcycle.com/index.php/vintage-motorbikes/complete-motorbikes/the-twin.html

I like the Derringer you posted way better anyhow. Any idea of its cost?

im not sure on the cost of those derringers. each one is custom made, and brad pitt has one so i imagine theyre sky high.

as for the wallyworld cruisers, its just the first place i looked.

i youtubed the 50cc kits and theyre pretty common, but the 1/2 gallon gas tank looks laughable. id just do alot of homework on welding and weld an aluminum old indian style tank.

Web site but no cost. Wow, I'm in love with those bad boys!
Where in the hell have I been. I didn't even know that someone was building them. http://www.derringercycles.com/bikes.htm

Very cool looking scoot. I agree, have to be sky high.
Back to converting a wallyworld bike I guess ::)

I know there must be an old tank off of something that would work.

and to possibly spend under $300 and end up with something like these (more or less) with the right fabrication and effort would be SO awesome.

corky-coker-indian1.jpg

pictures-of-2008-classics-phoenix-az-show-20.jpg

110%20%2814%29_small.jpg

EMBLEM-TRACK-RACER.jpg

ive got something new to obsess about..damnit.

Thanks a freakin lot Mike. Got me pondering about the mountain bike hanging up in the garage that hasn't been touched in 2 years.

Awesome little builds though!

i built 4 of these things......wicked fun and cheap.....go on ebay and you can get the kit for $100 shipped to your door, i actually used a beach cruiser from wally world for the first one i built. and btw.....that half gallon tank last 100 miles.....gonna take a long time to kill that gas since they dont go very fast, i think we clocked them at 20 miles an hour or so

4 of em? niceee.

im definately doing one (once i get caught up on my two current projects), but looking to more replicate an old boardtracker. when you built them did you do anything like that in mind, or just wanted to make a normal bike motorized?

lol no, we had 4 of em at work and during break we raced them in the parking lot......they are very scary believe it or not.....20mph taking turns on a bicycle is pretty nuts.

heres a cool one i found. its actually the 50cc bike kit on a bike with a tank he made like i wanna do. looks like he beat me to it lol

14536d1255398945-indian-finished-1.jpg

Derringer cycles makes some cool bikes. I found out about them a few months ago on some blog and at that time they had prices on there site which i think were about $3500 to start. They will make one custom but the price keeps going up. I think it would be cool to find and old schwin at a flea market and build one from there. It looks like the hardest part would be finding a hub that you can put a sprocket on with a free wheel on the other side.

so cool! i feel like a douche for starting one of these now, when i have two bikes in the garage and neither currently are running.

ill get it all sorted out sooner or later.

heres some more i found how im gonna go about doing it..

10992d1248209765-redb66s-board-track-attempt-100_1243.jpg

img1109bty.jpg

3652d1226886815-indian-board-track-racer-1914-indian-racer-001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom