MotoFiaccone SR500?

chrisf

Over 1,000 Posts
Hey all:

I found an SR500 10 miles from me. The guy is asking $500; I offered $300. I need a project like a hole in the head, but the bike is cheap and they are very popular right now. I figured I could flip it for good money.

The guy got back to me and said nothing lower than $400.

Here's the catch. I lost my job back in Nov. I found a new job that starts next week. I'll be the North America director, but I'll spend a lot of time in Europe as well--hence little time to do a huge MotoFiaccone project. Plus, I want to do a Yamaha 500cc 2stroke single.

So what to do?

--Chris

Buy it for $400 keep it in your garage for a year then sell it to some
Japanese collector for $7000 as is only...

forcefanajd said:
sr500's are 4 stroke........

No Shit :) I want a Yamaha 2-stroke single--a duel sport. That's my quandary...

locO leoN said:
Buy it for $400 keep it in your garage for a year then sell it to some
Japanese collector for $7000 as is only...

I thought about this as well. I would be interested in doing a full cafe/chop like my RD400. Just storing seems like a pain in the ass :(

--Cheers, Chris

tWistedWheelz said:
Congrats on the new job Chris!

Thanks man! Looks like a good week for me...and the Big 12 :) I can't believe I'm routing for TX. That's like you routing for Auburn. That's how bad I hate the Tide :)

--Chris

motofiaccone said:
No Shit :) I want a Yamaha 2-stroke single--a duel sport. That's my quandary...

I thought about this as well. I would be interested in doing a full cafe/chop like my RD400. Just storing seems like a pain in the ass :(

--Cheers, Chris

no need to get hostel, i just thought you were implying that the sr500 was 2 stroke. personally i like the sr's when they are stripped down to bare minimum with a tiny tailsection.. those bikes are super light too.

Well you better hope they bring a different team to Pasadena then they had against Nebraska! Nebraska won that game, the score just did not reflect it! I know if that Texas takes the field on the 7th, then the tide will wash them away before the end of the first quarter! But Texas has a great program with a heap of talent, I am sure they won't make the mistake of coming to this game unprepared or with thier noses in the air! The media has done a great job of displaying how much of an underdog Texas is and that only fuels the fire. Should be a great game, but if the Tide falls short, I promise I will only hate you for one year! ;D

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Hold out and buy the 2 stroke, SR's have been done to death. I'm sure you would do a great job of it but the 2 stroke will be a genuine 1 off and not just another SR.
Congrats on the new job.

forcefanajd said:
no need to get hostel, i just thought you were implying that the sr500 was 2 stroke. personally i like the sr's when they are stripped down to bare minimum with a tiny tailsection.. those bikes are super light too.

Hey man:

I'm sorry if it came off as hostile instead of joking. That wasn't my intent. I kinda like the SR's as well, but nothing beats a screaming 2 stroke. I really should not be screwing around with bikes at all now; I should ride and enjoy what I've got.

--Chris

motofiaccone said:
Hey man:

I'm sorry if it came off as hostile instead of joking. That wasn't my intent. I kinda like the SR's as well, but nothing beats a screaming 2 stroke. I really should not be screwing around with bikes at all now; I should ride and enjoy what I've got.

--Chris

lol i was busting balls dude....hold off for the 500 2 stroker....damnit i need a 2 stroke badly

tWistedWheelz said:
Well you better hope they bring a different team to Pasadena then they had against Nebraska! Nebraska won that game, the score just did not reflect it! I know if that Texas takes the field on the 7th, then the tide will wash them away before the end of the first quarter! But Texas has a great program with a heap of talent, I am sure they won't make the mistake of coming to this game unprepared or with thier noses in the air! The media has done a great job of displaying how much of an underdog Texas is and that only fuels the fire. Should be a great game, but if the Tide falls short, I promise I will only hate you for one year! ;D

ROLL TIDE ROLL

That's what So-Cal said a few years ago. I'll be txting shit as the week progresses; trust me!

hotfunk67 said:
Hold out and buy the 2 stroke, SR's have been done to death. I'm sure you would do a great job of it but the 2 stroke will be a genuine 1 off and not just another SR.
Congrats on the new job.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. If I did a 4-stroke thumper, it would be cool to do a huge 900cc bike. But the SRs have been done the world over. They are kinds like the CB350 of a few years ago. But they could be done up nice and flipped for some pretty good money :)

Dreaming along here, but I would like to do a screaming 500cc with a razor thin powerband... something that has to be ridden on liquid adrenaline :)
forcefanajd said:
lol i was busting balls dude....hold off for the 500 2 stroker....damnit i need a 2 stroke badly

Ass. I thought I started another shit storm.

--Chris

do it man.. just buy it..do it.. do it.. do it..
Fuck man.. you are the North American Director... $500 is lunch money.... ;D

locO leoN said:
do it man.. just buy it..do it.. do it.. do it..
Fuck man.. you are the North American Director... $500 is lunch money.... ;D

I wish that were the case. Do you think I could sneak it on the corporate card :)

I'm wavering on this bike...I'll talk to my wife this evening. I think I know what she'll say.

--Chris

motofiaccone said:
I wish that were the case. Do you think I could sneak it on the corporate card :)

I'm wavering on this bike...I'll talk to my wife this evening. I think I know what she'll say.

--Chris

hey man.. I snagged a 78 SR500 for $600 here in Toronto for Tim.. Its was an amazing deal...

Yup - if it's in complete condition, $400 is cheap. Flip it with a bunch of pics of those Japaese Brat Style SR400's for inspiration and sell it for $1000.

Or send it to me :) $400 delivered and I'll take another one ;)

Seriously, I don't think they come around often, certainly not for less than $1/cc. What sort of condition is it in?

Man, if I had access to parts like some of you guys do...that thing'd be bought, burned and turned in the space of a weekend. or two. Clipons, tank respray, general tidyup and a glassed seat with stick-on neoprene padding. Perhaps a nice exhaust or muffler to top it off if the old onew as shagged. Fob it off to somone who wants a bike to cruise around on and make a nice spot of cash. Either that or keep it for myself.

However, its the time thats the real killer like you said Chris. Plus, two-strokes are infinitely better 8)

My 2c - boingk

SR500s are always good. I'm dying to find a ratty one, do the Minton mods and burn around on it. Chicks dig thumpers, too.

I crashed the bejeezus out of an MX360 powered flat-tracker. That bugger could get up and go, so I definitely understand the draw of a big 2 stroke. Let the SR go to someone else and hold out for a good stroker.

Congrats on the new gig, Chris-I didn't know your were out, but glad to here you're back in! ;D Let me know if you need any tech writing partners- I may head to the Big D if things don't get better here in Austin :-\

Oh yeah, and we were talking about a bike here, right? I say hold out to get what you really want, although those SR motors are pretty sexy.

Back
Top Bottom