DWMS Racing RD350 Cafe Racer! New Gold Leaf Lettering And Graphics!

Re: RD350 Bare Frame / Engine Case Custom Build! DWMS Racing

Brothers it is awesome to have you all here, Thank You for supporting this build!

I started work on her and removed the battery, fuel tank, seat, rear tank bracket, battery box, air box, oil tank, side cover, turn signals, fenders, lights, etc.

000_0033.jpg

Joe, the work that you do is what drives me to not take short cuts and take some extra time on my engines... Fantastic work on everything that i've seen..

Joeyputt I will always watch whatever you're building not only because of your obvious skills but also because of your respectful personality, sincerely. Plus the '74 RD350 was my very first motorcycle, I bought it new, out the door for $929.00 my brother also had bought one two weeks earlier.
Cheers, 50gary

montessa172 said:
Joe, the work that you do is what drives me to not take short cuts and take some extra time on my engines... Fantastic work on everything that i've seen..

Thank you Brother! I am always inspired by everyones creativity here on dotheton so to hear that my work inspires you to take extra time on your very nice engine builds truly is an honor!

50gary said:
Joeyputt I will always watch whatever you're building not only because of your obvious skills but also because of your respectful personality, sincerely. Plus the '74 RD350 was my very first motorcycle, I bought it new, out the door for $929.00 my brother also had bought one two weeks earlier.
Cheers, 50gary

Brother it is always good to have you here, I truly appreciate your comment about my skills however I am just a regular guy that loves to turn wrenches! As for my personality I have always tried to be a good loyal Brother to everyone and it is always nice to hear that it shows so thank you for that my friend! It must have been really fun for you and your Brother to both have brand new RD350's at the same time!

I worked on the RD for a few hours this afternoon and removed the headers, mufflers, front foot pegs and mounting bar, rear foot pegs, shifter, brake pedal, rear shocks, chain guard, etc. I also started taking measurements and planning a few different frame, suspension, and rear set ideas!

Here is a photo of how she is resting this evening!

000_0001.jpg

Very interested in this! Details on detabbing the frame/cutting/bracing please :) Happy building.

Brother Andrew we have not started to clean the frame yet as we just started taking the bike apart, we did finalize most of the build plan today so I will be starting all of the frame work this week and I will post a lot of photos of the entire motorcycle build including the complete engine build!

Re: DWMS Racing RD350 Bare Frame Traditional Cafe Build! I Cut The Frame Today!

I had a very nice talk with Brother Bluesmokey the other day and we have decided to stay with a more traditional style cafe build for this bike, we will be running clubman bars, an extended tank, a cafe race style tail section, spoke wheels, rear sets, a nice set of exhaust chambers, etc.

We were originally considering a mono shock for the rear suspension however to keep the traditional look we decided to keep dual shocks and upgrade them. I am going to back half the frame so I removed the lower rear frame rails as well as the shock mounts, the rear frame cross section, and a lot of the tabs.

I also removed the rear peg brackets so that I can start to build the new mounts for the rear sets. I am going to leave the engine in the frame while I build the rear sets so that I can build the shifter linkage, check the clearance for the kick starter etc. After I complete the rear sets I will remove the engine and start to rebuild it.

Here are a couple photos of how she is resting this evening!

000_00012.jpg

000_00013.jpg

Chop Chop Chop!!!! I love the fresh silver metal showing and can not wait to see how the rear end cleans up after all the below modifications.

50gary said:
Joeyputt I will always watch whatever you're building not only because of your obvious skills but also because of your respectful personality, sincerely.
Cheers, 50gary
Yep that pretty much sums it up. I always keep a close eye on Joey's builds. If you ever find yourself short on inspiration just check out anything he has done!

subscribed!

Wow - don't waste no stinking time around here!

Haha, Joey waste time!? I'll bet he sleeps 4 hours a night and works 30 a day, he's a miracle worker.

cyclefreak said:
Yep that pretty much sums it up. I always keep a close eye on Joey's builds. If you ever find yourself short on inspiration just check out anything he has done!

Brother you are too kind, Thank You so much for always supporting our builds as you know it truly means a lot to me!

casi85 said:
Chop Chop Chop!!!! I love the fresh silver metal showing and can not wait to see how the rear end cleans up after all the below modifications.

I love to modify frames Brother, I can not do a lot with the top of the rear frame section until the tank and tail are here as I need them for measurements however I am going to start working on some rear set ideas and bending the tubing for the lower rear frame rails tomorrow!

Redbird said:
subscribed!

It is always good to have you here with us Brother!

andrewlk said:
Wow - don't waste no stinking time around here!

I try not to waste any time Brother, a lot of people say that I get work done fast however that is always funny to me as I always think it takes me too long!

JohnGoFast said:
Haha, Joey waste time!? I'll bet he sleeps 4 hours a night and works 30 a day, he's a miracle worker.

That seems like the schedule I work Brother and I do it seven days a week a lot of the time! I have a hard time even sitting long enough to watch a movie sometimes as I am always think about all of the work I could be getting done in that two hours, I guess it is a good thing I love what I do! Hahahaha!

We are still talking about a couple of different ideas for the design of the rear frame section so this afternoon we started to remove some more parts from the bike including all of the handlebar controls, the handlebars, gauges, top triple tree, headlight housing, headlight mounts, ignition coils, carburetors, etc.

000_0009.jpg

Re: DWMS Racing RD350 Bare Frame Custom Build! I Removed The Engine Today!

I removed the engine today so that I can start rebuilding it and work on the frame some more!

000_00042.jpg

000_0008.jpg

Re: DWMS Racing RD350 Bare Frame Custom Build!

I started to take the engine apart to get it ready for the rebuild!

000_0006.jpg

000_00112.jpg

Brother Joe, I've seen what you can do with an engine and I look forward to seeing what you transform my jewel here into! I spoke with my painter today and we have some pretty "trick" ideas for the tins...... This little RD is going to be something special!

found it... better late than never...

Back
Top Bottom