SeRotonin500 1981

Yamaki

Been Around the Block
Last night i got to tick off one thing more on my bucket list: Owning a SR500.

I got it for a "very reasonable price" (i.e dirt cheap) and it came with a whole extra and complete Sr500 with it. In bad condition tho. Will upload some pics of it at some point.

Anyway i dont quite know where im going with this bike.

So many options with this model and i am truly happy to finally own one ;D
Im probably just going to change a few things here and there.

I ordered a TM36 and im going to change the headlight into a 5 3/4 inch one to begin the project.
And probably another muffler. Megatron perhaps.

Anyway, i've been riding all day and only got this one pic for now.

YHoTJbm.jpg

Re: SR500 '81

Nice catch. How about turning it into a G50 Matchless replica/tribute? Both are SOHC singles, both are iconic in their own ways.

You could also update the suspension for a clean retro look.

Nice enough to ride as is!(as if we could leave well enough alone)

Great 2-for-1 buy!

teazer said:
Nice catch. How about turning it into a G50 Matchless replica/tribute? Both are SOHC singles, both are iconic in their own ways.

You could also update the suspension for a clean retro look.

Thanks and i like the idea, but that Matchless tank would probably cost an arm and a leg? I can only find a glassfiber replica for 347 dollars on ebay, and i dont know if they even ship to Denmark.

And what mods could be done to the suspension to clean it up retro style?

Thanks again for your ideas, it gets the creativity going hehe

LBC said:
Nice enough to ride as is!(as if we could leave well enough alone)

Great 2-for-1 buy!

Yea im kinda hesitant to start tearing into it, its like a time machine taking me back to before i was even born and i like that feeling!

But it will happen at some point. I just need to get the road approval next week, so i dont have to do like my friend when his CB had to be approved.
i9He6z7.jpg

In Denmark every bike 10+ yrs old needs to be road approved again when you sell it. If its been over a year since last. The CB's numberplate had to be moved and a rear fender mounted. Its not pretty in any way, but it was a fast way to do it and it will be approved like this. Some of the rules for bikes here dont make sense to me.

And thanks, the other bike is not the red one in the background, thats my friends. Its nice to ride the same kind of bikes i think, he ordered a carb kit as well.

TM 36 pumper carb kit mounted.
76ZYR93.jpg

Also a megafon type exhaust along with a breather filter for the engine and a battery eliminator. Sounds like a monster now and the difference is noticable, it can wheelie in 2. gear now hehe.
VW1kkPg.jpg

Worlds better than the BST34 that was on it before.

I still dont know what to do with the styling on it, clip ons look good but i drive mostly in city traffic so it gets hard in the long run. and i've got a better POV with higher bars. Going to run the standard tank and paint on it. Its rare to find a good original tank at a fair price here.
I got some engine covers i will shine up a bit, but not to a mirror finish.

The Carb and exhaust kinda blew the budget, so i'll have to wait till next month before i do anything else. in the mean time i will try to get the Carb running best i can and do some minor adjustments to the exhaust (new wool insert)

I like it ! Are the SR frames the same as the TT frames ? Only reason I ask is I have a TT and the front looks way to long like a Chopper ! Nice start on the bike and the idea of keeping it mostly stock is cool 8)

DreadRock said:
I like it ! Are the SR frames the same as the TT frames ? Only reason I ask is I have a TT and the front looks way to long like a Chopper ! Nice start on the bike and the idea of keeping it mostly stock is cool 8)

Thx, its a blast to ride, total wheelie machine!

I dont know if the TT frame is the same, but i have another stripped down SR500 and i can take the forks off and take another pic so you can compare if you like. Forks are just mocked on the frame so if you need any measurements just let me know
n75t1U3.jpg

I kinda like the stock look on it as well, it has a "sleeper" feel to it now. Gotta shed some more weight soon though, so it will most likely be everything but stock when its done.

Im taking my time with this one, love the simplicity of the SR, i might even keep this one for life:)

My RD is going up for sale now to fuel the SR500 with parts and what not.

My best friend has a SR too, he went with the rat style. His is a bit faster than mine so i cant wait to pull the engine for a overhaul and maybe some topend tuning hehe
I only have this pic of his when we mounted the same TM36 carb kit so the tank is not mounted.
nWnHrZK.jpg

Next up for mine is to change the gas cable because the stock one had a 90 degree angle at the carb end. And check if the throttle is opening all the way.
Also the valve clearance is good (per the manual) but it ticks when it gets hot (over 65 degrees celsius), any idea what that might be? Wrong oil? wear in the engine somewhere?

Not sure a out the tick but that's the same frame as the TTs ! From what I've gathered the SRs,XT,TTs are the same just diff trim ! Only one diff I think is the SRX !

DreadRock said:
Not sure a out the tick but that's the same frame as the TTs ! From what I've gathered the SRs,XT,TTs are the same just diff trim ! Only one diff I think is the SRX !

Thats nice, so youre free to interchange wheels and forks like you want.

Hmm maybe i should make a SR supermotard from my XT 550 hehe

Polished the covers on the left side today, not a mirror finish but i prefer it like this anyway.

Also changed the throttle cable and made a shitty bob job on the front fender (probably going to redo that at some point). Oh well, it weighs less now. Took off the centerstand as well.

e5yvwk5.jpg

zd3lGcR.jpg

Next up is polishing the other sidecover up. If im not out riding, this bike is so much fun hehe

I got bored this morning so decided to chop and loop the frame.

Reattached the shortened rear fender and chose a bates style LED backlight with a mini plate light as well.

Gonna make a seatpan once i decide if it should go all the way out to the loop, or make something like this with a little space behind the seat >
sr500_brat.jpg

Anyway here is how it looks at the moment.
6HrDBdc.jpg

UrttjTh.jpg

Im mocking it up while driving it, i cant get myself to take it apart right now, its too much fun riding hehe. My RD is sending me some bad looks, havent really ridden it since i got the SR.
Besides summer is short here in Denmark so i'd rather be on the road with a project in progress, than look at a pile of shiny bits in boxes :)
When its done im going to tear it down for some finishing and paint.

All the work today was done in the company of two good friends in the best weather possible. After cutting, welding, painting and what not we went to an outdoors gym and i took this snapshot of our bikes while we were there
M0TwGF4.jpg

Mini update:
Got started on the seat pan cardboard template this morning.
iCCwGG0.jpg

oB4o7i5.jpg

The seat will go all the way to the loop.

Just need to figure out how to clear the rear fender before i cut the actual pan.

Bend or cut, hmmmm...

Update: Got the seatpan done and made a bracket for my RR and CDI unit.

r1i6BPX.jpg

p8eeSon.jpg

esvdnTX.jpg

(seatpan was not finished when i took this pic, cleaned the lines up a little after.

Good lookin' SR mate!

Would you be willing to part with the forks from your parts bike?
I just got an SR500 and the fork tubes are rusted beyond use.

Also did you just use a capacitor to eliminate the battery? How well do the lights work? Not sure how good the charging system is on these things...

Let me know,
Justin

SONICJK said:
Good lookin' SR mate!

Would you be willing to part with the forks from your parts bike?
I just got an SR500 and the fork tubes are rusted beyond use.

Also did you just use a capacitor to eliminate the battery? How well do the lights work? Not sure how good the charging system is on these things...

Let me know,
Justin

Thx, most fun i've had on two wheels so far:)

I might use them for a frankenbike project im working on. Maybe if youre closeby (Denmark) and you can pick them up yourself?

Yea i used Kedo's battery eliminator, engine will run without it, but the lights only work if its there. On my RD350 it doesnt seem to make a difference but i have one on that as well and have had no problems for the last 1000kms.

Oh well shit, Denmark is a bit far for me (USofA) haha.
Thanks though,

Ill be watching the build man.

SONICJK said:
Oh well shit, Denmark is a bit far for me (USofA) haha.
Thanks though,

Ill be watching the build man.

Yea that might be a bit far hehe. Shipping would probably be more than my asking price hehe

I just came back from your CB350 project, turned out rad!

And thanks for viewing and commenting, it helps to motivate me to actually do something instead of just riding the damn thing lol

SR500 '81

Yamaki said:
Yea that might be a bit far hehe. Shipping would probably be more than my asking price hehe

I just came back from your CB350 project, turned out rad!

And thanks for viewing and commenting, it helps to motivate me to actually do something instead of just riding the damn thing lol

Thanks man,
The 400f is much better than the 350 ;)

And I know the feeling, it's very motivating!

Finally got my seat back on the bike ;D

I think it came out good, next project is to clean up/lower the headlight area a little.

m4vYLRF.jpg

zDWpyoy.jpg

C1w1taU.jpg

Sorry for bad quality iphone pics btw.

Back
Top Bottom