The Whack Shack (formerly known as The Aviary)

Re: The Aviary?

Shop's Gonna be Awesome....I just threw a shed together with scraps i found cost me $150.... Just your floor is making me jealous tho wish I took more time with the Floor

Attachments

• shed1.jpg
    shed1.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 247

I checked on a prefab type of building before I started and couldn't find one this size for under $5k.
When I'm done with this "phase", which is basically just a box with a few windows and a door, I'll have roughly $2500 in it. Electrical, plumbing, insulation, etc. will come later and in small portions. And there's also all the "tools" and "toys" to stuff inside :eek:

Kiley, I shudder to think what you have invested. But I also thank God that I (we) have the ability to do this (mostly) ourselves. I could only imagine what labor costs would be on something as simple as DesmoBro's shed.

The pre fab's in the shops I looked at for mine (butler buildings), the cheapest i was able to find was $14k. And that was just for the shell, no floor, no nothing. As mine stands I have just over $10k in the whole thing. That was only possible with a lot of sweat, bargain hunting, and good friends. Like you said, just thankful to have the ability to do it.

Funny story, i helped my father in law put in a privacy fence at his place. The fence company quoted him $3k installed. We did it for $380. Mark up is insane.

I have a similar story with my Father-in-law. He got an estimate from a pro company to replace the fence between him and his neighbor. He then took that estimate to his neighbor and told him we would do all the work if he paid half the estimate cost. Neighbor agreed.
Not only did we replace the fence, and have beer and steaks over the weekend we did it, but there was "a considerable amount" of money left over.

You definitely pay for the convenience of watching someone else work :)

Oh, and I got wood again!!
utf-8BSU1BRzAxNTIuanBn.jpg

I was waiting for somebody to mention it :)

Those are for Smajures corner of the shop. He said he wanted to reflect his feminine side :eek:

Seriously though, for those that don't know. "Pink boards" are 92 5/8" long. They're precut to accept one 2x4 footer and two 2x4 headers, thus making an 8' wall. They're about .50 more than a regular 8' long 2x4, but it saves me having to cut 80 boards down to fit.
I don't know whose bright idea it was to paint them pink, but they're painted so you don't mistake it for an 8' 2x4.

The Aviary?

Huh... They sell "studs" here, but there is only a small stamp on them instead of the pink color. Someone's wife was like "I have a good idea honey" and then it went down hill...

And there is a stamp on them too. You can see it in the pic, running across the "4 inch" side of the board in two places.

Dammit, now I'm getting self conscious enough about it that I may have to tea-bag all 80 boards to knock the sissie out of them :p

The Aviary?

Watch out for splinters. That could be a painful bag o'tea

Here I don't think they even mark them. Why do they pain the entire board? what a waste of paint, a simple stripe would work.

Redbird said:
Those are for Smajures corner of the shop. He said he wanted to reflect his feminine side :eek:

;D Looking good Redbird! I'm enjoying watching you work!

Re: Re: The Aviary?

lingo said:
Here I don't think they even mark them. Why do they pain the entire board? what a waste of paint, a simple stripe would work.

It's not really paint, it's a dye they spray/dip them with.. So I would imagine it's fairly efficient process with the least amount of waste.. One would like to imagine at least haha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

he might just be the biggest perv ever. He gets to dip his wood in the pink all day every day.

Back
Top Bottom