MB's CB750 custom seat pan, battery tray and rear hoop, etc.

marla_do is referring to how the left side headers are twisting over to the right side of the bike, and presumably going into a 4-2 or 4-1 exhaust. Or maybe just twisting over to some pretty 4-up exhaust look.

Beave, could you have also welded the sides of the battery tray together, rather than bending the walls up? Just curious, I don't know if its practical or even possible.

Do you know what kind of battery MB is planning to put in that tray? It's very low profile, I'm guessing a Shoria?

Oh! Thanks for the clarification.

primaries_01.jpg

4-2-1 header.

Yes, I designed it like that as the simplest solution for packaging and approximately equal primary tube lengths (though I have never and will never, unless paid substantially more, pursue "equal length" primaries).

I could have welded the sides, but that takes more time and money. Bending uses no gas or electricity, just some time, and not even too much at that, since I don't have to take the time to cut out the pieces, finish them and clean them all up for welding. =)

The battery that Mike is running is supposed to be about 60mm (2 3/8") thick. He hasn't mentioned the brand.

Thanks. I hope to have feedback on how well it works on the car next Wednesday.

I'm about to lay out the front part of Mike's seat pan now. I hope to have another success to report soon. =)

Shorida. Got the measurements online and also some recommendations for the particular one, which is somewhere in my "buy list" bookmark. One bike at a time though.
Very very happy with whats going on with my frame right now. And it's awesome to see my ideas and how they become real step by step, I would really like to be able to do this stuff myself one day. Welding classes don't do much good when you don't have the space to weld in though......

I'm glad you're liking everything so far, Mike!

I'm nearly done with the front piece of the seat pan. I want to reserve the whole day tomorrow for the rear seat, since that is the most complicated part of the whole project.

seat_pan_front_01.jpg

Good layout should reflect reality!

No light = good fitment!

seat_pan_front_03.jpg

Ready for some bending:

seat_pan_front_04.jpg

Not too bad, but still needs some tweaking:

seat_pan_front_06.jpg

This gap will go away once I get the front support welded in place and can have an exact angle to follow when beating the metal into place.

Preview of how it should look:

seat_pan_front_13.jpg

Today's work:

seat_pan_front_14.jpg

More here:

http://beaverbuilt.blogspot.com/2012/06/seat-pan-part-1.html

I had some car issues today. It's throwing a code for ignition signal. I tracked it down to some wiring, but, it's raining and I haven't been able to get to do anything else.

I guess work is gonna have to wait for a day. Blech.

I've been dealing with headaches of all sorts this week:

minivan_rockers_01.jpg

YECH:
minivan_rockers_05.jpg

In this:
minivan_rockers_04.jpg

Then electrical issues of a different sort:
lightswitch_05.jpg

That's the light switch to the garage I work in. The lights blinked out when I was in the middle of stuff. I took the switch apart and found the selector worn:

lightswitch_01.jpg

That worn spot was supposed to contact the tabs on the switch body:
lightswitch_02.jpg

So I adjusted them out:
lightswitch_04.jpg

Swapping the switch back in, it worked perfectly. Hopefully it will for another few years. heh. I am ready to get stuff done tomorrow. This week has kicked my butt and I am so ready to build things!

More about what I am planning to do with the stupid Chrysler engine:

http://beaverbuilt.blogspot.com/2012/06/blech-i-dislike-transverse-mounted-v6s.html

More on what I did to the switch:
http://beaverbuilt.blogspot.com/2012/06/let-there-be-light.html

Dave is showing up tomorrow, too, so it will be a day devoted to motorcycle madness! YAHOO!

Dave is AWOL. heh I'm cleaning up the "shop" which is highly therapuetic to me and generally leads to excellent work. Dave or not, I'll get most of the rear seat pan done today, methinks.

He just texted me. You know the saying "If it has tits or tires (or testicles, too, really), it will cause problems?" Well, the mix of the first and third of the items on that list is putting him about 3.5 hours behind. LOL!

The_Beave said:
He just texted me. You know the saying "If it has tits or tires (or testicles, too, really), it will cause problems?" Well, the mix of the first and third of the items on that list is putting him about 3.5 hours behind. LOL!

Ha! I was right :)

So it was me to the rescue today. Dave's dad never checked the coolant. The Ferd Exploder . . . exploded. For some reason, Ford decided to use a glued plastic housing for the thermostat. The engine got hot and that seam came apart (Dave has pics) belching nearly all the coolant from the engine. Once we fingered that out, we started calling every dang parts store and even the Ferd dealership. No . . . NOTHING. "Oh, we can get it tomorrow." Brilliant. =/ We had it towed to my "shop" and Dave's dad got a hold of the part. Tomorrow is Father's Day, so we aren't doing anything. Monday after Dave's class, I am going to pick him up and we'll go install the new part. I got to meet his fam. Steak dinner was had. I was gifted rum. I smiled.

Sleep now.

I finally got some good work in over the weekend! Gosh, sometimes it seems like I have to struggle to just get some work in. It is worth struggling over. I am a firm believer in that.

I'm going to start off with a little review of this contraption:
weekend_update_10.jpg

It is a cheap router speed controller that advertises "full torque at all RPM." That claim is really not particularly true, IMO, but, it is still useful for normal bits going through stainless, but it doesn't really work for big hole saws, which is disappointing, but I'll figure something out eventually. There are too many holes to drill to not be able to drill them. heh

I wanted some extra help bending the longer sides of the rear of the seat pan so I picked these up at ye olde cheap tool store:
weekend_update_11.jpg

The smaller one had really terrible edges that I had to file down before they tore up the sheet:
weekend_update_12.jpg

Rough layout:
weekend_update_13.jpg

weekend_update_14.jpg

When you clamp sheet to a table, don't use pointy clamps directly on the sheet! It will bend/dent it. Take something thicker and use that over the sheet, which will hold better anyway:
weekend_update_15.jpg

I had to make a radius gauge so I could trace a proper radius for the rear of the seat pan:
weekend_update_27.jpg

I think it turned out really well:
weekend_update_28.jpg

Then I made my marks for cutting out the rear trim piece:
weekend_update_29.jpg

So far things are looking like they will fit pretty well:
weekend_update_30.jpg

I love it when things match up well:
weekend_update_31.jpg

A little more sanding on the main seat piece and a good trim on the inside of the radiused piece and it should fit up pretty interestingly!

There is a whole heck of a lot more on my blog, as I can't spend all day typing updates when I have work to do. LOL!

http://beaverbuilt.blogspot.com/2012/06/long-weekend-update.html

Work continues after a much more hectic than expected week:

exhaust_bolts_seats_07.jpg

Blurry pic. Oops. The main part of the seat pan is finished and the "collar" that is (somehow) going to neatly loop around the back of the seat hoop.

Bending up the seat pan:
exhaust_bolts_seats_06.jpg

After the "rough" bend:
exhaust_bolts_seats_04.jpg

After some "fixing" with a hammer:
exhaust_bolts_seats_02.jpg

Installed for checking:
exhaust_bolts_seats_05.jpg

It will need some further tweaking, but, I think it looks really good so far! My goal is to finish everything by tomorrow. We'll see if that happens. It is possible . . .

Oh! This is also my tip on how NOT to break your fingers when using a punch:

exhaust_bolts_seats_12.jpg

Vise-grips are great for keeping your fingers out of harm's way! Nothing like a broken finger to kill your productivity for a while. LOL!

I finally managed to get some really good work in this week after a friend ending up in the hospital, his heart stopping while at the hospital, taking care of his kids until his mother could watch them, my woman's car breaking down and spending all of the 4th on the side of a highway fixing it and then finally getting to get some work done this past Friday. It's been a crazy week.

Enough whining, onto pics of work:

ginourmous_update_07.jpg

ginourmous_update_08.jpg

ginourmous_update_09.jpg

ginourmous_update_10.jpg

ginourmous_update_11.jpg

ginourmous_update_12.jpg

ginourmous_update_13.jpg

ginourmous_update_14.jpg

ginourmous_update_16.jpg

ginourmous_update_17.jpg

ginourmous_update_18.jpg

ginourmous_update_19.jpg

ginourmous_update_20.jpg

ginourmous_update_21.jpg

ginourmous_update_23.jpg

ginourmous_update_24.jpg

ginourmous_update_25.jpg

ginourmous_update_27.jpg

ginourmous_update_28.jpg

ginourmous_update_35.jpg

ginourmous_update_36.jpg

ginourmous_update_29.jpg

ginourmous_update_31.jpg

ginourmous_update_32.jpg

ginourmous_update_33.jpg

My friend just got released fro the hospital. I don't have enough time today to write up a huge bunch of stuff, so if you'd like to read about everything, just check out y blog post:

http://beaverbuilt.blogspot.com/2012/07/ginourmous-update.html

Back
Top Bottom