CB360 - Clean and simple

tnum said:
Bought this today... oops ::)

IzjzoGh.jpg

Oh dear..... ;)

Crank and cylinder OK on it?
Big ends and main bearings may need doing, pretty normal and pretty simple. I could do full strip, new bearings in about 4 hrs when I was 'in practice (mid 80's 8) ) Probably take me a week nowadays ;D

crazypj said:
Crank and cylinder OK on it?
Big ends and main bearings may need doing, pretty normal and pretty simple. I could do full strip, new bearings in about 4 hrs when I was 'in practice (mid 80's 8) ) Probably take me a week nowadays ;D

Seem to be, the carb is super clean too. I'm told it burnt a hole in the piston and that's the reason it stopped running. Just ordered a new piston, rings, wrist pin, rod bearing, clutch cable, throttle sleeve, grips, spark plug, and fuel line.... I think all it needs now is a sunny weekend and 6 pack of beer.

I also finally got the new oversized pilot jets into my SV650 and it runs so smoothly now! 8)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/F42r15ibROw

Hopefully my next post will have another update on the CB360 :eek:

If it burned a hole through piston you probably have 'shrapnel' in the main and big end bearings. Should clean out OK but is a PITA as the proper way to do it is a full engine strip. (done a ton of them over the years)

crazypj said:
If it burned a hole through piston you probably have 'shrapnel' in the main and big end bearings. Should clean out OK but is a PITA as the proper way to do it is a full engine strip. (done a ton of them over the years)

Hmm... the oil came out clean and it looks clean under the clutch cover. And it spins without any offensive noises or binding.

WsBU8ci.jpg

Also... I bought a new throttle tube because the one on it was busted up from landing on the handlebar end at some point and found a good deal on one that included new grips.... well, turns out that I either bought the wrong one or the throttle on this bike is from a newer model because the tube isn't right.

It was too cheap to return and the grips are still useful so I just printed out a new tube.

From left to right -> old grip, old tube, printed tube, new (wrong) tube, new grip
XpvZxvl.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.
yfxJNmM.jpg

TvGzzJl.jpg

Took me a minute to figure out you were talking about the RM and not the CB. I'm like, "That clutch is not correct at all!"

Are you printing with PLA? I would be worried about the hollow part of the throttle tube crushing with those thin walls.

Sonreir said:
Took me a minute to figure out you were talking about the RM and not the CB. I'm like, "That clutch is not correct at all!"

Sorry! ::)

I got distracted with the RM.... it's a "getting it running asap so I can ride it" project. Should be running in a couple weeks and then it will be back to the CB for sure.

advCo said:
Are you printing with PLA? I would be worried about the hollow part of the throttle tube crushing with those thin walls.

Yeah, it's PLA - the printed tube is actually stronger than the new one, although more brittle. I can't crush it by squeezing it with my fingers though.

Here's a quick squeeze test in my first print (stopped 3/4 through for some reason) in the vice... a little cracking but it looks like it will hold up as much as it would need to. It will have the handlebar in it too which will give it a lot of support.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/x47iVMXbcJA

I figured I'll see how it goes and reprint it in ABS if need be. I have a spool on deck but didn't feel like changing the filament out.

tnum said:
Yeah, it's PLA - the printed tube is actually stronger than the new one, although more brittle. I can't crush it by squeezing it with my fingers though.

Here's a quick squeeze test in my first print (stopped 3/4 through for some reason) in the vice... a little cracking but it looks like it will hold up as much as it would need to. It will have the handlebar in it too which will give it a lot of support.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/x47iVMXbcJA

I figured I'll see how it goes and reprint it in ABS if need be. I have a spool on deck but didn't feel like changing the filament out.

Cool. Looks solid. I was just wondering since I have ran into some issues before when printing thin walls with PLA. What program do you use for modeling?

advCo said:
Cool. Looks solid. I was just wondering since I have ran into some issues before when printing thin walls with PLA. What program do you use for modeling?

Yeah for sure, I had the same thoughts and was pleasantly surprised. Also it's hard to tell in the print but on the model you can see I added some ribs for both extra support and to give the grip something to bite so it doesn't slip.

338kWqj.png

Have you tried printing PET yet? I did some test prints and had some of the strongest prints I've ever had...

Haha. You know you can get them in aluminum for just a few bucks. Or get them with a housing and everything for $8.

3DogNate said:
Have you tried printing PET yet? I did some test prints and had some of the strongest prints I've ever had...

I haven't but I'll keep it in mind - seems like pretty neat stuff.

irk said:
Haha. You know you can get them in aluminum for just a few bucks. Or get them with a housing and everything for $8.

Yeah I know, I just didn't feel like buying another one... Plus printing it only cost ~ $0.48 in material...

The "clean and simple" word grabbed my attention, and just got caught up on this one. Lots of neat stuff going here!!

Bookmarked!!

Ok, last post for the RM125...

Sent out the cylinder to be bored 0.50mm over.
Before:
yAEbgJm.jpg

After:
ZDHT2wi.jpg

Put it all back together:
2cXZ1qW.jpg

WvB0uoj.jpg

1lSXUZj.jpg

QdOqG7X.jpg

Lwyyl1k.jpg

o9TdD66.jpg

Cleaned up and painted the exhaust:
AGGIvK5.jpg

UaXTcRm.jpg

i4y5Lnf.jpg

5eb9Ud1.jpg

And finally:
CfQLQaD.jpg

And it runs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFPIbdVB5Pc&feature=youtu.be

Sonreir™ said:
I applaud your decision to reassemble the engine without glass beads present.

Haha thanks! Life got in the way for a bit but now hopefully this can start coming back together.

Also, finally found one of these CJ360 oil pick-ups! http://www.ebay.com/itm/232243543151

Probably WAY over paid and will find a used one next week for $12 but I don't want this to hold up my project and I can't complain too much about a NOS part.

Back
Top Bottom