A few Triumph Choppers, and a Special, that I built

grandpaul

Author, "Old Bikes"
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
First of all, I've never really been a "chopper guy". But when an opportunity to buy a classic Britbike cheap presents itself, I dive right in.

For the most part, I then return the chopper into what it once was, as nearly as possible (depending on the irreversible damage done).

ONCE IN A WHILE, depending heavily on other people, I'll keep the chopper a chopper. Here are the few times that has happened:

1965 Triumph T120R Bonneville hardtail

I found a "twofer" deal in a small town about 30 miles south, heard about it from my machinist who had a bike re-wired by the guy that had them (the other was a '69). When I arrived with my trailer and my younger son along as a helper (he had just turned 18), we found the bikes "out back" in buffalo grass about 24" deep. There were rusty parts, nut & bolts all over the ground, covered in mud (it was drizzling). There were also a few parts in an old shed with a leaky roof and no door, so they were just as bad off. Of course, every part was set down at the best possible angle to put screws, nuts and bolts in them; so, they were also in the absolute worst position as far as promoting rust and dirt accumulation.

One bike was totally apart (the purple one), and the other (orange) one had the lower lump still in it, but if you looked down the throat, you could see the dirt through a fist-sized hole! The guy explained he had overhauled it for a customer who IMMEDIATELY took it out for a "fast break-in, fast bike" ride, and came back pushing it, 3 hours later. I DO NOT believe in that method of break-in, needless to say.

Anyway, we made the deal and loaded them up. Just as we're driving off, my son says "I have dibs on the orange one" (although he didn't lay out one dollar).

I told him the only way I'd agree to that is if he built it himself, to which he half-heartedly agreed. So, we got them home and unloaded them, then he suprised me by pulling over a toolbox and a big empty tub, and started pulling parts off the bike. I did the same with "mine", and we kept at it till late in the evening; Sally even brought us sandwiches and iced tea, and left us alone. ("Bonding time", I guess)

We got the bare frames stripped, then sorted everything for powdercoating. He decided he wanted the frame silver, and lots of stuff chromed & polished. My goal was a total restoration, so I took all the best parts and listed them for black powdercoat. I let him keep the peanut tank from the purple bike with the "Union Jack" (Brirish flag) paint job.

After composing a couple of build spreadsheets, and ticking off what was already present, I sent out the frames to powdercoat, and a huge pile of parts to chrome, then searched my shelves and bins for all the useable parts that I already had (which was quite a lot). Then, I made up the parts order list and got that done.

Next came the slow, tedious process of puling apart what will still together on both engines, washing each and every part, and determining what would ultimately be usable and what was trash. I let Kevin do the washing (and re-washing), I did the drying and sorting. We took an entire day just for that step!

By the time the bearings, seals & gaskets arrived, the machinist was done with the cylinders & heads (cranks, cams & other stuff was okay). I forget right now where we got the replacement cases from, probably the BMOA swap meet in Houston, or the New Ulm swap meet... So, the time came to start the engine builds, side-by-side. I had two shop manuals, and two sets of tools, and laid out two of everything. Kevin kept right up with me every step of the way (took a good few weeks just to build the lower ends).

About that time, Kevin dropped a cluster bomb on me:

- "I'm dropping out of college" (with a full scholarship at A&M)
- "I'm quitting my job" (excellent logistics job with his favorite uncle)
- "I'm moving to Austin" (with no job lined up, and no money to get a place of his own)

Kevin kept coming working on the bike; we got the chrome and powdercoated stuff back and got the frame rolling, then stuck the finished lower end in it (all of my stuff got put on a shelf to continue with client work).

About a month later came another cluster bomb:

- "I'm getting married" (not to the girl he was dating recently)
- "I'm joining the Army" (that one wasn't hard for me to take, but it was for my wyfe)

The about a month after the wedding "We're pregnant" (so was my wyfe, coincidentally)

So, guess who didn't finish his chopper build?

I went ahead and loosely fitted the top end to the engine, and installed all the stuff that we had bought specifically for Kevin's bike, and sold it along. I'm not a "chopper guy".

I though it looked pretty cool, but knew I'd never ride it (much). I also needed the money to finish my restoration.

410907725.jpg

10 years down the road, Kevin did 2 tours to Iraq - 12 & 15 months, then got into a program called "Green to Gold" where he transferred to the Army reserves, went back to A&M and got his degree, then re-entered the regular Army as a 2nd Lieutenant with all of his enlisted time counted to his officer pay level. They had 2 kids by the time he got his commission. Now, he's about to complete Blackhawk school (he's already VFR, just needs IFR), and he'll be a MedEvac pilot. They also have another boy.

I don't mind that he didn't finish the chopper (much).

1959 Triumph 6T Thunderbird 650

I had a client referred to me who dragged in a very sorry-looking old chopper that was quite a ragged, barely rolling turd of an old Triumph. It had been badly abused, the engine covers removed, and the guts left to rust to DUST (literally, the tranny gears were rust powder).

He had a big stack of cash, and knew just what he wanted, so we set to inventorying it front to back. It took me more than 2 years to go through one section at time, then he'd pay for the next section. In between, he'd stop by and we go out for coffee or lunch, and talk for hours. We became good friends over that time; both the same age, both had sons in the Army, both into bikes, both had been down the "hard road", and both came to Jesus after hitting rock bottom. Freddy suffered from various serious ailments, and had heart, liver and kidney transplants. He was driving or riding 150 miles twice a week to Laredo for dialysis.

When the time finally came to hand the bike over, we both realized he'd never be able to start it. He only weighed about 125 with his heaviest boots on, and didn't have anywhere near the strength needed to kick the beast over. So, we made a trade; he let me keep the chopper (which he had spent considerable money on), in exchange for Sally's 2002 Bonneville (with her conditional approval - she would get the value of her Bonnie when the chopper sold). Oh, yeah, he also got my 12 guage Wingmaster shotgun with short and long barrels, a new bumper for his truck (I had to install it), his wheels & tires paid off (he was renting them), and a couple hundred dollars play money (he lived on a small social security check).

The bike looked like this "before & after"

410907726.jpg

I never liked Freddy's idea of the risers and 1" ape hangars, so I swapped it all out for drag bars which I thought looked better; then I sold it to a guy in New South Wales and shipped it out looking like this-

397284182.jpg

That's a sprung rear hub, very exclusive Triumph stuff that was available only a few years; hard to find the ring bearings! The paint scheme was my idea "Red winged Black Bird" is what I dubbed it.

I could keep up with highway traffic in 3rd, then upshift and just walk away with a twist of the wrist. It was a meat-eater.

Sadly, Freddy passed away just a few months ago. I had the honor to deliver a eulogy at his funeral, his family was laughing and crying as I told them the story of the big swap at the end.

This was a scruffy old '67 Bonnie chopper that I bought non-running at a swap meet for $375 at the very last minute in a cold drizzle as the seller and I were the last to leave.

410907723.jpg

It took all of an hour or two to sort it out and get it running, and it rode pretty decent with just a bit of smoke in the exhaust. I traded it for a stock frame and engine, plus some cash; re-sold that stuff and made a decent profit after all.

This bike was actually fairly stock as far as frame, engine and front end. Only serious mods were the overlength fork tubes and raked yokes (thankfully, that meant the frame wasn't chopped)

This was a '66 Bonneville that I bought from a guy in Pahrump, NV, near Vegas. Actually, I bought the main frame, a bolt-on hardtail, and the engine, with a strange chrome steel tube-spoked rear wheel that had no brake or axle. I rounded up some parts from my stash and turned it into a rolling project.

410907724.jpg

After not being able to sell it after several tries, I rounded up some stock parts and re-assembled it in a more original form, then sold it as a restoration project. The good thing was, the engine and frame had matching numbers and were unmolested, for the most part.

So, the end of this story is not chopper-related, sorry.

Thanks for sharing your projects, I enjoyed reading the first story about your son and your chopper builds. Congratulations on becoming a grandfather! Do you have any pics of the bike you were restoring with your son, completely finished?

Joey

You type a lot. Lol... I know I have a lot of posts. Most are BS, I'll admit it. But man, more power to ya. You know h9w to spread it. ;)

Aircoolin said:
Thanks for sharing your projects, I enjoyed reading the first story about your son and your chopper builds. Congratulations on becoming a grandfather! Do you have any pics of the bike you were restoring with your son, completely finished?

Thanx for the compliments, I have EIGHT grandkids now!

The British Flag tank chopper is the one we were working on, it was never totally finished when I sold it. The buyer never kept in touch with any further build updates.

I have no idea why I bought this trike project, I suppose I had too much play money at the time, and not enough work to keep me busy. Also, it immediately started the wheels in my brain spinning furiously...

410915745.jpg

After I removed the horrible wheels (one was a space-saver spare) and replaced them with some real meat on a set of snowflake Lincoln wheels, the first idea that popped into my head was a mobile BBQ grille made from a beer keg-

410915746.jpg

Happy coincidence, I refused to throw out that king & queen seat & hexagon oil tank for at least 10 years, they FINALLY fit something just right!

I have other ideas, including a hearse trailer, and a 2-person ride-along made from two gas tanks, two seats, two sets of handlebars, and a 2-in-1 footrest setup; that way I can take people for rides, and they get to feel like they're riding (mostly for the grandkids). The hearse trailer will be for a good friend to drive with me in the back when its time...

Oh, yeah, I got 1/3 of my money back from selling the leftovers, loosely assembled with most of an engine and a scruffy old tank.

Back
Top Bottom