Build opinions requested, but not necessarily accepted

Regardless of the style I go with I would probably save a few sections of the frame and rebuild the rest. But perhaps a total frame build. Nothing is set, just looking for ideas, as much as a hard headed person can receive ideas.

I will ride it, but I own 4 business that require a van to get me around and I have 4 young daughters that get my free time, so my primary goal is the build.

Your last build you took a dirtbike engine and put it in a chop frame. I'm thinking you take this GT and do a dirt machine

That would be a proper twist wouldn't it? I think the dirt tracker is a good possibility. I'm not opposed to rear suspension this time.

The front half of the chopper was actually still the stock dirtbike. I took off the subframe and cut off the swingarm section the rotated it back 15° and built a hard tail.

try and build something that is not just plain silly and screaming look at me !, look at me ! like that cr500
you might as well just put on a clown suit and prance around blowing a 3 doller airhorn for the same effect

I thought we were building custom bikes? If standing out is not the point then what is the point? I'm not saying rideability shouldn't be part of the equation. But We would all be riding stupid looking v-stroms if that's what mattered.

custom built motorcycles that function very poorly, all for a silly look don't appeal to me
the fact is most builders have no idea how to make a bike function properly, nor do they even care which is the bazar aspect of the deal , but that is just the way she goes :)

That's reasonable, but not all encompasing of the reasons to build something. But the truth is very few bikes get ridden to their potential and that does not stop anyone from building them better and faster.

I think the builder of a bike determines it's usefulness. It has been stated several times how the BMW is merely a showpiece and 'unrideable'. I beg to differ. The op's first bike would get the same rap I'm sure, yet he rides it. Just because it doesn't fit YOUR riding style does not discount it's credibility. Take this bike for instance:

zyte6y8a.jpg

Useless right? On the other hand I know for a fact that that bike is the builders daily transportation and also that he rides it off road, races it, wheelies it, and jumps it. So... I wouldn't leave a bobber style bike out of the equation for the gt. Personally I would go for a traditional cafe style as I think it would fit the motor and frame the best.

We said. I have a 68' mustang that can't pull a trailer but turns heads. A 96 f350 that can pull a 16k boat but can't hold 600lbs of laundry. A 14' sprinter van that can fit a toolbox, motorcycle and 6 rolling carts full of laundry but only has 1 seat. And a conversion van that seats 8, with a bed in the back. It takes all kinds.

sure you could ride that offroad really fucking slow :D he made it worse with those stupid fucking 30lb+ tires but that is his business

If I had the skills and tools I would build a lighter frame with good geometry(Copy a good handling bike) and components and mount the 2 stoke motor and be able to use 100% of the motor all the time. Style, who cares, build a bike that can handle the potential in the motor the ride the living crap out of it.

I've ridden the crap out of so many race bikes that there is just no thrill left in it for me on the street. I'm sorry, but it's true. Once you have spent time on the track the street gets really boring, any racer will tell you that. So the ability to have great street performance is just wasted on me, it's never gonna satisfy that need to go 180mph into a corner then trail brake I to a 40mph right hander. So I prefer something that looks better over performance. It's not a crime.

I do like the featherbed frame. On the slight chance I build a cafe bike I would do that style frame.

Assuming I don't mind a poor handling uncool bike. What's a prewar frame design that could look great with shiny 2 stroke triple in it.

Pre-War, I'd say:

BMW R12
bmw-r12.jpg

or

H-D XA
1270269_10151621773712901_1987003570_o.jpg

They essentially confiscated and studied the R12 to design the XA, so why not build a mix of the two?

Pre-War, I'd say:

BMW R12
bmw-r12.jpg

or

H-D XA
1270269_10151621773712901_1987003570_o.jpg

They essentially confiscated and studied the R12 to design the XA, so why not build a mix of the two? Build a bike that could literally go around the world through any condition.

Billy lanes dumb ass found a way to make an awkward motor look good in a board tracker. But he might have gone a little overboard on that tank logo. And I'll admit this is too low to ride.

Back
Top Bottom