New member in Perth

perthbiker

Knock, knock...

Well I finally succumbed and bought an Ace. A real beaut from Gumtree with a mere 23km on the clock despite it being a 2013 model!
Comes fitted with a few extras from OORacing including a new CDI, spark plug, jets, front sprocket, grips, de-restricted stock exhaust, EGR plate, and a few extras like clubman bars, mirrors, pit stand, helmets, etc. Want to pick it up tomorrow and by the time I get it home, it will have quadruple the kilometres on the clock... Hope it makes its 'maiden voyage'.
Have also ordered some goodies from OORacing including 150cc kit with gasflowed big valve head, exhaust with bottleneck 'silencer', Molkt carb, front brake pads and brake hose.
Will need some decent tyres and decent instrumentation too. I'm sure the shopping list will grow...
In the meantime while waiting for my go-faster bits, I'll have to get back into the 160x forum pages to absorb the collective wisdom of all the forum members.
Let the adventure begin!

Good to have you aboard!

Don't forget to add some shocks to the shopping list - they can make a major improvement to the handling.

Crazy

Those shockers are in need of a change. I agree. Gas flowed head will make it an interesting ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the prod to upgrade the suspension. The two of you are legends on this Ace forum so will immediately have to go shopping again. Will scan for the topic and see what the consensus is in terms of what to get. I'm only 70kg so won't need anything too heavy duty.

2013 chrome cover shockers have no real damping. Try mostyn . Local and reasonable ( qld)

I also think you may need a gasket for your carb. Oo sell a paper one that cures bowl leaks

Hell will I ever stop, that muffler is loud. Ok but be ready for some noise. Don't forget , pipe as long as possible to keep mid range power. Put brace in to support muffler from foot peg

Kege tacho from eBay is ok or kosso lookalike gauges are good but can be a handful to set up correctly. I broke my original speedo and snapped speedo cable

8544801751e984c47bd63bbb814332f0.jpg

Thanks for the tips re the suspension, carb gasket and muffler.
Was hoping the exhaust wouldn't be too loud. Will have to fab a baffle of sorts if it is too obnoxious.
That tach looks good. Digital speedo and revs around the edge? Shift light? I need to decide between old style analogue or new style digital. Certainly want a tach while I learn the engine and its foibles. At the moment it just makes varying noises and not too much power. Suddenly Perth has got hillier...

In the interim get yourself a kege tacho. eBay. All of $16.? Will be ok till you know how you want to go

Have you had a look at skyteam canberra on Facebook ? They have a digital speedo in stock atm as well as 250 kits. All the goodies OO sells but an Aussie supplier. Also have shock absorbers.
A website will be up and running soon hopefully.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip re Skyteam Canberra. Will support them when/if they get their online shop going.

Had some success today and the bike started to show me some love after fighting me for a while.
Took the tappet cover off and found the valve clearances to be tight as...
Sorted those out. Also pulled plug and gapped that. Tweaked idle and fuel screws and it all seems to start and run better, hot or cold now.
Tomorrow I need to pull the back wheel off to centre the sprocket. It is currently tightening and loosening the chain tension every rev as it isn't concentric with the hub.

You can purchase the old fashioned way using the telephone for now. 0422760306.
Sounds like you're having a ball with the new bike.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Some goodies arrived from OORacing today. :)

First items on will be the new header and end pipe. Baffle looks reasonable so hope it won't be too noisy.

Next probably will be the 34-tooth rear sprocket which I hope will be concentric to the hub as opposed to the current stock sprocket which isn't. Will probably go back to the standard 15-tooth front sprocket until such time as the 150cc kit and gas-flowed head go on.

Anybody know of the best way to cut a chain to length? No access to power tools so was hoping to just punch out one of the pin links.

Attachments

• Header.jpg
    Header.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Baffle.jpg
    Baffle.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 218
Yep, that looks like a worthwhile investment. On the ever extending list now.
Mounted the new exhaust last night, went for a short ride and then remembered I hadn't degreased it first. Grabbed a rag and can of degreaser and then proceeded to melt the rag on the hot pipe. FFS! Will have to try oven cleaner tonight to clean up the mess.

Back
Top Bottom