1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star barn find restoration

zing.

I think for a collector or bike enthusiast, a collection of images of your rebuild would be spectacular.

Carry on.

Thanks!
As I said before, as popular as Goldies are, there is relatively little, actual and usable restoration information online. By documenting my build it will help others on their builds.

Spectacular work so far Swan. She will certainly be a thing of beauty.

Oh look, a REAL cafe racer! Looks incredible and great pictures to go along with a great build. Can't wait to see it running and riding!!!

Thanks guys for the encouragement! One of the many reasons I love the Goldie is that it is nearly ground zero for all cafe racers. A stock Gold Star looks so lean, fast and ready to race the streets.

Today was better than Christmas! Look what just arrived, a new UK made exhaust and proper silencer, correct refurbished Smiths chronometric tachometer and the long out of print book "Goldie". Purchased from a Britbike.com member and Goldie fanatic.

_MG_6495-Version2.jpg

vrooom, vrooom...

_MG_6497-Version2.jpg

Thump, thump, thump....twitter

swan said:
_MG_6495-Version2.jpg

vrooom, vrooom...

Haha, this would freak me out on my bike, at 2000rpms I would think I was redlining it. ;) I really love how clean it is.

I absolutely love this thread.... keep up the great work Swan. The quality of your work is incredible, thanks for sharing the journey with us!

I just read this whole thread, and I think this bike finally found the perfect owner for it. Amazing work. I can't wait to see it finished!

Does anybody when the reverse rotation on the gauges was used? The shelby cobras use this but all my Triumphs and BSA's from the 60's were standard rotation.

1963 was the last year of the smith's chronometric for BSA and the switch for most mfg's to the magnetic type spedo's and tach's.

wow swan! your blowing through the clean up of this bike! and now that the pistons free! cant wait to see the progress you make now! haha can tell that you have been waiting for this bike :) ! and great work thus far!

Thanks again everyone for the kind words.
On this week's installment of lunch hour update I worked with my friend Pat the welder to repair the broken cylinder head fin, cut and fill a 4” hairline fracture on my inner primary cover, press out my rear brake arm spindle and create a motor stand. I traded shop time with his boss Pete for my labor on Pete's 1971 Honda CB750 which I will get running, timed, tappets adjusted and tuned up after sitting for ten years. No problem, for I have built 5 CB 400, 550 and 750’s and know the motor and carbs well.
IMAG0166-Version2.jpg

Their shop is 160 years old, one of the first buildings in Winona and began as a saloon facing the river, a whorehouse up top and a blacksmith in the back. (welding, whiskey and women-all require warning labels). It later became a Winona Boiler and Steel and the building is filled with ancient machinery, leather belt driven cast iron machine wheels, mammoth brakes, shears, presses etc along with beautiful Miller and Lincoln welders and all the shop toys we lust after. Pat is young, very knowledge, creative and a great guy. I hooked him up with a Honda CB750 that he is going to customize in to an old school bobber.
IMAG0171-Version2.jpg

master at work
The inner primary cover under Pat’s magic hand:
IMAG0173.jpg

I broke off some donor fins from a trashed Triumph 650 barrel weld to my cylinder head using Heliarc (TIG) and 4043 welding rod. Guess what, cylinder fins have iron in them and will not weld to my alloy head… All part of the learning curve. I tried several local options but ended up buying a broken BSA cylinder head on E-bay, so the repair is delayed to the end of the week.

_MG_6500-Version2.jpg

Pat welded an engine stand from shop scrap and I beadblasted my hardware. It is so nice to use a monster industrial compressor that cycles every 20 minutes instead of my small compressor that cycles every couple of minutes. We also pressed out my frozen rear brake spindle without destroying the spindle or plate using their 50 ton press. Always nice to have the right tool for the job.
IMAG0170.jpg

_MG_6521-Version2.jpg

With a busy work week, I will try to find time to finish preparing hardware for cadmium plating and wait on the donor cylinder to finish my head and get the motor parts off to be vaporblasted. Stay tuned…

I am well aware of the value of friends with equipment that I don't have. I remember alot of welded parts on my 441. I feel your pain in this project.

wfo guy, yes it is good to have friends with nice equipment, Beer is one of my favorite bartering tools.

A minor victory, my cylinder barrel was at stock 85 mm bore with the severely frozen piston and rings. I had the Engine Store of Winona bore it to just under .030” over standard. There is still a tiny bit of pitting, so I will order a .040” piston and rings and have them bore to match the new piston and that should clean up the last of the pits. No re-sleeve necessary! The Engine Store is a local full service machine shop, do great work at reasonable prices and took extra care and time do it right. Thanks guys.

_MG_6549-Version2.jpg

Before
_MG_6555-Version2.jpg

After

IMAG0213.jpg

_MG_6556.jpg

Tiny pitting that should clean up at the next size overbore (.040”)

I have freetime this weekend to move forward on the fin repair and hardware prep.

god i love reading your updates. Beautiful, beautiful work. done with painstaking care.

I wish more of my friends had some of those machines...... making stuff by hand using Harbor Freight tools gets a little difficult sometimes. None of the machine shops around here are interested in doing little jobs. Most have a $100 minimum which is way too much to have something pressed out or a broken bolt removed.... Excellent build, by the way..... lots of info and pics. I can't wait until it is done.....

sweet trick with the motor. Glad you were able to get it free.

Thanks all!

Progress. The cylinder head fin and the inner primary cover are repaired, frozen dynamo screws removed, more bead blasting and prep for vapor blasting and cad plating. I love working on my bike.
_MG_6498-Version2.jpg
Before
_MG_6569-Version2.jpg
After
IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

Whitworth tap from British Tools and Fasteners
_MG_6566-Version2.jpg

_MG_6567-Version2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom