1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (1000 miles and more)

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Motor in rolling chassis!)

Thanks BT, nice find on the Gardner book for 50 p!

I am considering Dave Woods http://www.chronometricspeedos.co.uk/ to restore my speedo. Memberss on Britbike forum recommended him and he does amazing work.

Just placed another order with Lyford Classic Services again for my rear brake pedal and assembly, cables, bulbs and some other "odds and sods".

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Motor in rolling chassis!)

I would agree with the assessment of Dave Woods standard of workmanship. Top quality stuff. I have one friend who did an exchange, and he was blown away by the quality of work, and after arsing around for three days trying to overhaul a unit on his own. was at a complete loss as to how it could be done at such a reasonable price.......us Brits are very used to paying good money for poor service, and when somebody like Woods comes along, we tend to be surprised by it.

Re: 1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star restoration (Gearbox is done)

Bumpthump, thanks for chiming in on Dave Woods, a member on Britbike forum posted some images of his work and it is beautiful.

My gear bush arrived, so I built the my ARRT2 gear box with STD gears. I will write up and link to a separate page with loads of images and information to make it easy for the next restorer.

I drilled the correct three oil holes in the new bush with a uni-bit and had The Engine Store of Winona http://theenginestore.com press and hone the new bushes. They did perfect work, it was done the following day for $27, thanks guys!. The mainshaft fits and rotated beautifully with no more gap or leaks.
IMG_9558-Version2-1.jpg

Before. Mind the gap...
IMG_9780.jpg

After, with new bushes, no more leaks!

IMG_9882-Version2.jpg

Gearbox is done!

I also picked up an original OEM 7" Lucas headlight from a cool member on Jockey Journal. It matches my original headlight but without the massive crack right down the middle. The price was right, considering there is the same NOS Lucas light on ebay for $249 with one day to go in the auction.
IMG_9884-Version2.jpg

Enlightening...

I made a large order from Lyford's and should see new cables, bulbs, ammeter, rear brake assembly and some other bits by the end of the week. It is beginning to look like a motorcycle and I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I still need to purchase a chain, chain guard, new 12 volt dyno kit and regulator, carb parts, battery, fuel lines etc and possibly a new front fender and stays. My cylinder head needs new valves and guides, the magneto and speedometer need to be rebuilt. Time and money....

Gonna spend some quality time with the Triton this weekend, cleaning, putting the carbs on and battery back in and am watching the weather for I think I can get the first ride of the year in on Tuesday. I cannot wait.

Enough people have pumpped sunshine up your skirt, you really don't need to hear it again... but WOW you sir, are an artist. Fantastic!
Seeing the e-bay prices for these items like the headlight is staggering. Makes me cringe that I sold BOTH my A-65's for $1200 back about 20 years ago. A Thunderbolt and a Lightening... each had those 7" Lucas lenses and one I put on I found NOS still in the box. Think I paid $30 for it... Probably worth a fortune today ::)

Not only stupidly expensive, but back in the day, they were well known for being poorly made with near pitiful levels of quality control, but also nothing ever better than average in terms of fitness for purpose. Yet here we are three or four decades later, and the stuff is damn near worshipped!

There were many terms used to describe Lucas BA ck in the 60s and 70s, and they were all based around the theme of Lucas being the Lords of Darkness.

Thanks HD, the concourse builders need medication, Two 190 mm front brake hubs went on e-bay this week for $1825 and $1320 each. I cannot find an OEM Lucas rear brake switch that does not cost and arm and a leg. But with patience and luck I eventually get what I need and the forums are a great source for parts for less than E-bay prices.

Many slag Lucas but I have never had a problem with their products. Like most things, they should be kept clean and maintained, but most people are too lazy to do so. If I wanted a maintenance free, push start bike, I would buy one. Instead I want an old classic with all its charm, quirks and maintenance.

Swivel, I am going with a rebuild mag with a new modern condensor, rewind, proper seals, bearings etc and converting my dyno to a Hawker 12 v system with a modern voltage regulator. There is no room for an alternator in my bike. My bike should start first kick and with all the deer and other animals in my area, I need a 12v system to stay alive. I am going to pay dearly to restore my chronometric speedo, but to my eyes, they are absolutely beautiful and perfect.

Personally I've never had issues with Lucas electrics either.

You can use late model reflectors and find 1970's cars with sealed beam headlights.
It is possible to remove the glass with careful grinding around periphery
My father used to do it on a really regular basis for people

your right on the money with what you are intending regarding the electrics,Im a late arrival from Scotlabd to your amazing blog! Uour thoughtful , methodical approach to your rebuild in this age of instant gratification is to be highly commended.Ive used one of Sean Hawkers units on my DB32 , and it works well , you may also want to consider one of the AO units , made by Al Osborne, his stuff is used but lots of Velo riders this side of the pond , your not to far off now to getting the bikes wheel son the road , i'll be watching with great interest and looking forward to the book publication!!!

sorry for the various typos in my last message , comes with using an ipad and being distracted by the smell of Sunday dinner coming from the kitcken ,once again all the best from a new fan accross the pond.

Thanks Rustynuts!

With many thanks to Gordo's sharp eye from Britbike.com forum, I pulled my motor, dissembled the lower end, heated the primary case, removed the bearings and found that I did in fact have the wrong shim installed. I replaced it with a new 66-0661 shim as seen below.
IMG_0001-Version2.jpg

66-0661 on left, ? on right, removed from my motor
IMG_0005-Version2.jpg

Empty
IMG_0006-Version2.jpg

With new 66-0661 shim
IMG_0014-Version2.jpg

BSAGSdriveside.jpg

Part number 8,
BSA 66-0661 shim dimensions:
OD 39.5 mm (1.555")
ID 25.3 mm (.996")
Thicknes .7mm (.027")

With my lower end sorted and my gearbox complete, I placed everything back in to the frame and tightened everything down. The gearbox works beautifully and shifts easily through all the gears.
IMG_0023-Version2.jpg

I started cleaning up my old original 6 spring clutch and am going to install it just for the purposes of mock up and to kick the motor over. I plan to buy a new Pearson clutch soon. Slowly starting to look like a bike.
IMG_0037-Version2.jpg

My order from Lyford is delayed in US customs for they claim the contents were not correctly listed on the outside of the box and on the customs forms. After a dozen e-mails and phone calls Fed Ex still cannot grasp the concept of "new and used motorcycle parts" and want a price and material breakdown of every of each nut, bolt, washer, cable, part, brake pedal etc. I told them to open the box, read the invoice and inspect the contents. Pat from Lyford was kind enough to send my box the morning they went on holiday, but they are not answering their phone or e-mails while away. All three people I spoke to at Fed Ex had never heard of BSA motorcycles, frustrating... Professionally, I had an epic problem this week with some art work coming in to the US as well. Walmart can bring in ships filled with 1000 cargo containers of cheap plastic crap every hour but I cannot get $400 worth of BSA parts through. Grrr, sorry for the rant....

Rode the Triton yesterday and had a blast, spring is here in SE Minnesota.

Amazing build! My girlfriend lives in Nowthen, just outside of Elk River, sometime when I am in the area I would very much like to see this bike in person!

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

Drool! Nice that someone caught the seal. Could have made for a small drip that would drive you nuts. Love it as usual and you are lucky to get out for a ride already this year.

Shouter said:
Amazing build! My girlfriend lives in Nowthen, just outside of Elk River, sometime when I am in the area I would very much like to see this bike in person!

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

What he said, but I'm just north of the cities!

Yes, looking very tasty indeed. I see you mentioned the Pearson clutch, my dad is doing his own similar conversion using the Suzuki clutch for his Goldie. Has to be better than the stock unit for sure.

Johnu, Phil Pearson is the one who first converted a Suzuki clutch to fit BSA Gold Stars. He makes his own and they are works of art.

Good news, my Customs drama is over and my parts arrived yesterday. Cables (speedo, tach, air, throttle, magneto and clutch), brake pedal and rear brake rod and hardware, ammeter, bulbs, bellmouth for carb and few other misc. bits. I will install these parts this weekend. We are experiencing record breaking temperatures and I have by riding and wrenching the Triton as much as possible

IMG_0039-Version2.jpg

IMG_0041-Version2.jpg

I've been watching this thread since I hooked a '61 DBD34 that's been lounging in a lock-up for about 30 years. I have yet to reel it in, but lately I feel the line going slack, so it will either escape to be caught by someone else, or my creel will soon be bulging with barn-fresh Beezer. I'm in metro MN, so I'm doubly pleased to have you vetting all the area vendors. Many thanks in advance. :D

Meanwhile, you're certainly doing it right, and sharing it here is inspirational to say the least. Keep 'er going.

LS

LS, reel it in or let me know who it is and I'll go after it.

swan said:
Johnu, Phil Pearson is the one who first converted a Suzuki clutch to fit BSA Gold Stars. He makes his own and they are works of art.

Yes the clutches he converts are indeed works of art but then they should be for the price of them! Fortunately my dad has the ability to make convert one of the clutches for himself. He actually bought the donor clutch while he was here in the states visiting me for $25. Your work on the the resto really is top notch.

Swivel, If I wanted a new, push-button, carbon fiber/plastic, mutated insect looking, souless modern sport bike, I would ride one. I have ridden many modern sport bikes including a CBX and a 916, they are fast and fun, but I have no interest in owning one. A 50 year old Gold Star has a higher top end speed, at nearly half the weight, than a Vmax. There would never be any modern Japanese or Italian sport bikes without British race bikes such as Manx Norton and BSA Gold Star, not to mention the original cafe racers who emulated the British racing singles and twins they watched on the racetrack.

Phil Pearson's 40 years experience of working on Gold Stars, as well as being a professional engineer, designer and machinist is good enough for me and thousands of other satisfied customers worldwide. He apprenticed under BSA factory designer Roland Pike and Pearson works from original BSA factory designs and Pike's personal drawings and notes. There is nothing "romantic" about him, he makes high quality parts. He is friendly and enthusiastic on the phone and passionate about getting and keeping old bikes on the road. That is what this forum is all about.

Andy Molnar and his crew also make nice bikes and parts, but most are direct copies of Matchless' and Norton's factory parts specifications of which he acquired the rights.

For the record, I am not a Mahler fan, but rather prefer punk rock, indie, alt-country and electronic music. Nothing "epic" about this build, I am just a guy who is happy to restore a classic bike back to its original glory and am sharing my progress like hundreds of other builders on DTT. This restoration thread has over 50,000 page views on two forums, so others seem to enjoy it. If you don't, there are plenty other threads for you to read.

50,0001 views.... keep up the great work and thanks for sharing the experience with us!

Back
Top Bottom