Just bought a 1971 CB350 with 1500 miles. What to do with the motor?

Ok thanks for all the replies. I couldn't find varsol. Anywhere and it is quite flammable. Btw. I bought two cans of some engine flush stuff from Napa. Dumped that in the case and filled the cylendars with PB Blaster. As of last night it is turning over some but not a complete cycle without binding up.
so I still have to decide if I gear it all apart or just run it.

Well I pulled th emotor out and took it apart. I quickly realized that I really didnt need a reapair manual (grew up working on motorcycles) but I'm sure I'll use it at some point.
Found most of it to be in good shape but I had a stuck ring on the left piston, a bunch of crud that needed to be cleaned up, etc. The seals feel and look really good so I may just leave them be. The cam chain rollers & guide seem to be in great shape no cracking and still plyable. :cool:

Attachments

• Piston with stuck ring.jpg
    Piston with stuck ring.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
  • pistons in cylendars before.jpg
    pistons in cylendars before.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 191
In this picture you can see why I didnt want to keep trying to turn the motor over. It already caused some damage to the top of this piston. I may end up having to buy a new piston now where if it was just left alone, MM oil in the spark plug holes, then pull the heads then the piston may have looked a lot better.

Yes good job. and BTW dont let that cam chain go! To me for the time and cost i would replace pistons and rings and get a light honing. its up to you.

Yeah I am replacing the rings and I have a 3 leg welfare hone that I'm going to run in there. I'm going to run that piston. It does have some light damage but not enough to bother anything.

Back
Top Bottom