CB350 Steampunk Frankenstein Cafe thing called Isabel

Glad you shared your project with us, this is incredible and I think 10 times better than the picture of the bike you wanted it to turn out like. I will definitely be following this creation.

Excellent work. For a man on a budget you are doing well. I have seen big budget bikes attempt what you are doing and they couldn't pul it off but it seems like you will.

Cheers,

Maritime

Like many of the others stated, I'm not normally into Steampunk stuff but this is definitely the exception. Fantastic looking bike, I can't wait to see more.

Wow. Your attention to detail is what makes this machine so fascinating. Its a labor of love. That's what makes this one stand out from the crowd. I wish I could see this in the flesh. metal. distressed metal. Beautifully crafted.

Wow, never heard of steampunk before, but that's some cool stuff! Reminds me of the time machine train in I think the third Back To The Future film.

Grahamworks said:
Do you mind if I ask how much it cost to plate your frame like that?
~chris

Yeah, no problem. It cost me $650(AU) all up for the frame, swingarm, foot peg bar and those little diamond doodads (I'm sure they have a name). I have no idea if that's a good price or not, but there is only one electroplater in town, so that's what you pay!

And thanks everyone else for your kind words! This is my first go at doing this, and I'm absolutely loving the shit out of it. And it's great to hear people are digging it, makes me want to get it up and running faster!

Big fan of the steampunk and this bike is kicking ass. Going to vintage up the electricals with cloth housings?

absolutely love what youve done mate!
now im reconsidering going the common powdercoated frame route....
looks fantastic! the headlight especially.......
the new tank emblems.........did u make them on an english wheel?

Mother-of-god.jpg

this is AMAZING. easily the best ever steampunk bike I've seen. must see more!!!

btw I hope you don't mind but I'm gonna post this thread over on customfighters, they'd love it.

I love anything steampunk. For the steel bits I'd do a patination on them. There are a lot of recipies out there in the japanese tradition especially. Tsuba makers dip the steel in acid, then a light rinse and handg outdoors to dry (till a nice rust forms). After you're satisfied with the look boil the piece in a tea bath to turn give it an antique blacking. The tannins also halt the rust and gives a permanent tough finish. Should be easy enough for the winkers and the smaller bits.

check this link on higo inlay work to see what I mean.
http://kougeihin.jp/en/crafts/introduction/metal/2931?m=pd

You can also search Japanese steel patina to find other recipies for brown and bronze patinas. My favorite resource is http://www.followingtheironbrush.org. Plenty of steel and iron patina recipies there.

Nicely done!

I realize the seat will balance things some, but I think you need some more leather.

Perhaps some leather fork seal protectors/sliders?

Also, the fork lowers look like they need something. One of the few places where the same finish extends across a joint.

Easily the best Steampunk treatment I've seen based on a production bike.

Well done!

Keep the pictures coming, please!

Nice build.

Here are some of my thoughts that may or may not prove to be helpful for you.

1) Copper oil and gas lines. Do it. I am on my build. I wanted to keep this as my little secret until I got to that point in the build. I think it's the little details like this, that are steampunk and still functional (as opposed to just for aesthetics), that will just kill. Try and get a petcock that uses a compression fitting instead of the standard barb. If you use an oil pump with external lines, use it for your external lines too.

2) Copper braided brake hose. Copper doesn't like brake fluid (ok with oil and gas), so make sure it' just on the outside.

3) Cut away material on your sprocket cover so you can see the sprocket turning. I'm drilling holes in mine. You could just cut a "window" or some sort of big hole, or cut out a pattern or design.

4) Anodized chain and sprockets. I'm not sure if copper is available, but gold should be easy enough.

5) If you have the funds, get a dry clutch. It's exposed, and sounds great too.

6) Get one of those old style megaphone horns.

7) Get a hand pump for your fuel tank.

Take a look at this: http://www.revatu.nl/peashooter.php

edit: typo

Back
Top Bottom