CB360 - Clean and simple

It appears to be on an angled towards the hub, might have an issue clearing the tire, since it should really if anything be angled the opposite way. Had to do something similar on my last bike which is why I know.

Also got it sandblasted and the first (rough) coat of paint.

28NZKJv.jpg

Qv6xX86.jpg

And the modified bracket again:
8JavX4V.jpg

Not super thrilled with the weld still and I will probably fill those holes, but it's good enough for the bottom of the swing arm I guess :-\

So how am I going to trigger the brake light now that I cut the mount for the switch off?

Hopefully with one of the extra neat things I have in mind for this build.

I adjusted the bracket I cut off for the brake light switch to fit on the other side of the frame:
KdoUPN3.jpg

It's new job will be to hold the new proximity sensor for the brake lights:
oQ5X4dV.jpg

The cool thing about this is that there won't be any moving parts or even contact of any kind... notice the clearance:
ReMqy8h.jpg

Part of the reason why I went this route is to clean up the outside of the frame... it's almost totally hidden from the side.
x00nucO.jpg

wCFrgov.jpg

I will have to build a controller for this, but I was planning on doing that anyway. It has a pretty tight tolerance, so the brake light will engage relatively quickly once the pedal is pressed. Since this switch is normally closed, and opens when the pedal moves away, my plan is to use a pull-up pin that is activated in the up position - so when the switch is closed, the pin is low/grounded, and the brake lights come on. The benefit to this is that it will have a fail safe in that if the switch fails or the pedal doesn't line up for some reason, it will fail in the brake lights on position. I figure looking like I'm braking is better than actually braking with no brake lights.

Here's a video of the sensor in action - you can see the indicator light on the sensor turn on/off with the pedal movement.

https://youtu.be/7igFdnmPENQ

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Mate that's bloody awesome. Had never thought of that. Reminds me of the prix sensor on my 3D printer :D

A few of the reviews on this sensor I got said it works great for their 3d printers ha.... not sure how long it will last on the motorcycle but I'm going to make it easy to change and probably coat it in something waterproof.

irk miller said:

This is a hydraulic pressure switch - which doesn't work on a non-hydraulic, mechanical linkage brake system like the original rear drum brake on a CB360. It will work for the front brake though and will be the route I go if the original switch is broken or I can't find a place to put it.

tnum said:
This is a hydraulic pressure switch - which doesn't work on a non-hydraulic, mechanical linkage brake system like the original rear drum brake on a CB360. It will work for the front brake though and will be the route I go if the original switch is broken or I can't find a place to put it.
No, it works on your front brake switch. You don't need to a rear break switch when you have a front one. Even the slightest pull powers the light. Requires very little effort, and no welding to install.

Unfortunately, the previous owner put a cheap, universal forward foot rest on this bike...
wNwYcTB.jpg

And it ended up making some dents in the down tube :(
meJk7vF.jpg

lUujM1J.jpg

So I'm just doing some prep before painting the frame to clean up the bits like this... and my grinding marks.
pie8D3O.jpg

sL34Jsi.jpg

Still needs more work and I'm debating how much work is worth putting into this frame ???

Getting the cases ready for reassembly:

Splash guards are shiny again
Tfiy65e.jpg

Raser blading the last bits of old gasket material off
4A34Lnv.jpg

Final washing
dFyC2Ym.jpg

I'm debating about drilling out the oil passages or not... mostly I had trouble finding how big the hole should be either before or after drilling so I'm not sure if it's been drilled already and don't want to make it too big.

While I imagine this would increase flow, it should also decrease pressure? does that little oil pump have enough to continue to reliably get oil to the top end.. or was the hole undersized to begin with?

Speaking of the oil pump..

mE28gEc.jpg

hm7xHqK.jpg

Turns out the gasket kit I had ordered came with the oil pump gasket as well 8)
M5yQTv1.jpg

Upgrading to stainless steel cap screws
Hj5pLFS.jpg

Going back together
6X1O9fL.jpg

Nice
taZzQim.jpg

Side note about the new screws, although they are a little longer, they fit flush to the other side
4HYkND3.jpg

k2JWXyb.jpg

Also cleaned up all the case bolts
Al8cH6F.jpg

SyOl8AS.jpg

I think the oil hole is drilled to 3/32", haven't done one for a long time. It's probably more important to do the oil transfer piece inside clutch cover, that is the main problem with top end oiling. The mains and big end bearings are pretty much always flooded with oil, they need flow not pressure. oil pump actually provides too much pressure at high rpm which forces the transfer piece/oil pressure valve open dumpimping oil back to sump. There is still enough getting through to lube mains, etc but not enough pressure to get to cam bearings. I doubt a 1/8" hole would lower flow to mains enough to cause a problem, gravity will keep enough oil flowing. (BIG ENDS ARE NOT PRESSURE FED)

crazypj said:
I think the oil hole is drilled to 3/32", haven't done one for a long time. It's probably more important to do the oil transfer piece inside clutch cover, that is the main problem with top end oiling. The mains and big end bearings are pretty much always flooded with oil, they need flow not pressure. oil pump actually provides too much pressure at high rpm which forces the transfer piece/oil pressure valve open dumpimping oil back to sump. There is still enough getting through to lube mains, etc but not enough pressure to get to cam bearings. I doubt a 1/8" hole would lower flow to mains enough to cause a problem, gravity will keep enough oil flowing. (BIG ENDS ARE NOT PRESSURE FED)

Thanks, I guess it's worth doing then.

Cleaned a bunch of stuff today getting the engine ready for reassembly.

Final wash on the lower case:
fVHgPYo.jpg

jJS0TfG.jpg

Splash guards installed:
0wFma0V.jpg

Oil filter:
Before
7BjhTmF.jpg

After
roybDOI.jpg

Got the head unwrapped and cleaned
KCR36zj.jpg

8l5T4GG.jpg

9V1WRuY.jpg

h1j8x5h.jpg

oqEpB0Q.jpg

Found this old trumpet cleaner to be the perfect size to make sure the valve guides are clean
6Ian2HY.jpg

GH92QFY.jpg

And finally unwrapped the cylinders and washed them
rPjbmda.jpg

a8FOrbs.jpg

A little crusty
yAvKzhc.jpg

Honed clean
yf3qTbk.jpg

Cleaning all the old gasket material off
GW8GrT8.jpg

Washed, scraped, honed, and oiled - ready for assembly
IjI0jB6.jpg

Started putting the head together, but ran into some bad news...

Got all my stuff laid out
BTYgVwn.jpg

Nice clean parts
Hzcte2k.jpg

Before lapping
KOVD2SI.jpg

After lapping
BxGUUxf.jpg

More lapping
8D8EFVk.jpg

New seals
a0GHRNx.jpg

Classic c-clamp valve spring compressor
SpkbDjA.jpg

Installed
06vNnuj.jpg

But then I found this little curiosity on the other exhaust valve... The edge was worn
dprvW8c.jpg

Here's a closer look
nuRw3mx.jpg

Notice how some of the carbon is also still on the mating surface
NMfql4a.jpg

Looking straight down, you can see about 30% of the mating surface is still covered in carbon...
gmfGSyp.jpg

All this means one of two things - either the valve is bent or the guide is bent :-\

So I chucked the valve into my drill and confirmed it's bent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Z3aR5XTKA

Definitely glad I noticed before trying to start it.... I have a feeling this might be the reason this bike was parked in the first place.

Does anyone know a good torque spec resource for the case, head, valve cover bolts?

p.s. Do I post too many pictures? Not sure if it's causing load times that aren't worth the wait for anyone or if it's welcomed ???

Performed the oil passage mod as one of the final steps before assembly

Before
LMQTijV.jpg

CmjU7RD.jpg

The drill didn't work...
TFSs3JQ.jpg

Had to pick up an extension
nVlJH8G.jpg

Opened up on each side to 3/32 of an inch.
ZWDiHi8.jpg

Mating the case halves back together finally ;D

First, I went through and chased all the threads with a tap
3n0nltl.jpg

Some of them were a little crusty
3eQ3DZQ.jpg

But are clean now
1j1j1Rh.jpg

Installing the transmission
9MjRsM7.jpg

Crank and crank bits
FVijQ3W.jpg