CB360 rear hub coating

randy lahey

I'm doing a complete, ground up build of a cb360 and I'm having trouble making a decision with the rear hub. I'm using new spokes, rims, and bearing. What I can't decide on is between painting or powder coating the hubs, and whether I should replace the cush drive bushings in the rear hub. The bushings seem like a real pain in the dick to remove, and cost about $25 each from a honda dealer, and I would prefer to remove them if i were to powder coat. If I were to paint, I have decent epoxy primer and would probably use spray can appliance paint. So the choice is either expensive, more work and done right, or cheaper and easier. Any input? Is it worth it?

I wouldn't bother replacing the bushings. I painted my hubs with caliper paint and cured them at 200 degrees without any issue.

Cheaper and easier is the best way to guarantee you'll be doing it again before you need to. Yes it is worth it to do it the right way. You definitely want to remove the rubbers for powder coating. Not familiar with your hub , but some have holes in the backside that can be used to drive the rubbers out. If your rubbers are not hardened or brittle they can be reused. I've never seen a UJM cush rubber to near as hard to remove as those on my Triumph clutch, but it is always recommended to change them if you are that far into a build as it's a bigger PITA to go back and change them after all the other work has been done and then the rubbers fail. The rubbers will take the heat, but I wouldn't recommend powder coating the hub with the rubbers in it. I powder coat for a living and I wouldn't coat your hub with the rubbers installed if you bought it to me.

I'm with advCo on this one. Some of those bushings can be a REAL pain to remove, and the hub in general sees less paint abuse. Plus, it is a fairly background part and for most people the paint caliber is less important than say a fuel tank. I've heard of people powder coating hubs with the bushings left in with no trouble, but I've never done it. Certainly 200 degrees F would be fine for cooking spray can paint. Since you are already priming with epoxy, you could shoot your color with 2K for a great durable finish. That is generally what I do. Powder is great, but certainly not needed on a hub (or anything really - just depends on how heavy duty you want/need the finish to be). Most factory paint on old bikes was crap, and it lasted a long time.

Back
Top Bottom