New Member - Bike suggestions please!

CorriganJ

Hey guys

I am a new member, and I have rather a strange request for a board like this. I am going to buy a bike, and love the cafe racer / tracker look, BUT I also need a newish bike with (preferably detachable) panniers, a full fairing (will be doing regular long motorway trips), and preferable an upright seating position. And be able to carry a pillion (though not pillion and panniers at the same time, if that is important).

My favourite bikes at the SR 250-500 range, and the origional naked Goldwing 1000. I am also partial to the boxer engines on the BMW K range. But these aren't faired.

Any suggestions of possible bikes would be great!

And just as importantly, suggestions on how to make them pretty!

I'm in Spain, btw.

The GL1000 series was not faired. Many added various fairings, Vetter the most popular but I preferred the Pacifico Shadow. Bates and Vetter made bags fof them. The GL1100 Interstate was faired. The GL1000s are readily available as are cafe-style seats. The handlebars can be changed to give a more cafe-look but still upright position. Carb work on the old CV pots is one of the main issue. Many have gone to a single-carb setup, and many returned. Getting them proper and clean and then keeping them that way is paramount. That, and using only real 100% gasoline.

Welcome, I am a bit biased as my favorite vintage in the stable is a 1976 R90/6 bmw, and that would get my vote. Just remember in your searching that the boxer motor is the "R" line not the "K" line.

Plenty of umpfh to haul a passenger and/or panniers, similar to a gl1000. The sr250 is a really neat around town bike but will struggle on the long haul with a passenger or luggage, at least as compared to the wing or Beemer. Good luck in your searches and I am glad you found us here.

You want a newish bike like the original Gold wing. The one from 40+ years ago. Newish?

You want a full fairing but like the unfaired original Gold Wing.

You want a cafe racer but want an upright riding position

You want a Boxer K series BMW... K series as in four cylinder, boxer as in opposed twin.

Anything from a 250 single to a 1000cc four cylinder to a four cylinder opposed twin is up for consideration.

I'd say buy a Ducati Scrambler.

Sounds like you're going to have 2 different bikes.

A vintage to build into a cafe/around town bike, and a touring bike.

Get the Yamaha SR400! If it's available in Spain.

Fairings etc can be added. You don't need a full fairing for touring.

I rode my BMW R75 for 3500KM in 10 days with no fairing or windscreen. Now, I'd bolt on a windscreen and have some other bits to make it more comfortable, but it's possible especially at moderate speeds.

If your not mechanical or don't have a facility/tools to keep an older bike running, then buyer new or newer. If you want something that can be loaded for a road trip and is still fun around town look at middleweights. If most of your miles are on long runs and loaded then something closer to a litre in a cruiser would be most comfortable. You can put a fairing/luggage on almost anything you need to determine what you want the bike too do.

Back
Top Bottom