Clutch slip

FastCletus552

I have a new cluth on my cafe. I replaced it last summer but really never got to ride it much til now. Today i went on a good hour ride in the mountains. Clutch slowly started slipping and by the end of the ride i barely made it home. I am wondering if i have the wrong weight oil in the system because it seems the warmer it got the worse it slipped

Probably adjustment issue.
New clutches bed in, was probably just about right
As it got hotter the plates expanded and caused slipping.
What weight oil are you using?

Strange.... Went to check oil level and found out it didn't even register on stick. Looked in my cabinet to add oil to it, and the only oil I had was 20/50. So I would be willing to bet i have 20 /50 in there. I went to the store and bought 10/40 and topped off the oil, and went for a ride. The clutch still slipped, but not as bad. What do you think, a flush and fresh oil?

Nope, re-adjust properly, slacken cable and start at adjuster on sprocket cover cover
You may have to pull clutch cover off and check plates, riding with slipping clutch is A BAD THING
I would fit heavy duty springs, CB450 should fit? (ain't done CB500T since about 1979)

crazy pj. I bought some new springs when i replaced the clutch, but the new springs were quite a bit larger than the old ones, so I never put them in. I just assumed they sent me the wrong part. Any way of knowing if the new springs i got are the right ones? If i can find them what length should they be?

They should be a little longer but have less coils?
Stock Honda springs are designed to slip slightly if you dump clutch hard
If adjustment is only slightly off it will slip as soon as you get 'on the gas'

Back
Top Bottom