Enduro GR- break her down for parts.......

Re: Dirty GR progress- swinger came in!!!

Ya know Pete, I don't know why I keep going to bikebandit. Habit I suppose. For those off the wall/ bike specific parts I believe any US supplier has to order from Japan, and the wait is the same. I should look around a little deeper for a NOS part source.......

I haven't looked a whole bunch at hand guards yet- way down my priority list as well. That will probably be one of the last things to go on this bike- unless of course I can ride it through some snow. Then they will become a necessity!

Is there by chance a full profile shot of the bike, have I missed that?

Big Rich said:
I'm right there with buddy- the weights are mounted right now just plug the holes UNTIL I get the hand guards.......

Great minds, huh?

Yep. ;D

peteGS said:
Progress is good Rich! :D

Suggestion for OEM parts... try Boulevard Suzuki in Florida. Not sure if shipping will kill any cost benefits, but man their prices are cheap!

Have you got a set of hand guards in mind?

I'm considering these for the scrambler:

https://www.slipstreamperformance.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=520&products_id=11399

They're all over the shop on eBay as well and they have the down swept reinforcing bars on them which I'm led to believe gives a bit more clearance for road bike controls. I have yet to check that out for myself as they're down the priority list at the moment...

Those er sweet.I gotta see if I can gettem in the US.

Sorry Swag, no side profile shot. Once it's rolling again I'll take some pics outside in the sun. I can't even roll the bench it's on around anymore- the casters started snapping off last time.

It has been a LLOOOONNNNGGGGG time since this bike was a roller- I'm anxious.

I know how ya feel Rich! It was a real milestone when I got the scrambler to the roller stage again... and of course that's the point where you wheel it round the garage making embarrassing noises coz you're so stoked you can roll it... then you realise you're nearly 40 and shut up...

For a year or so the frame for this was up in the rafters of my garage- so technically it hasn't been a roller since I bought it. Being a "parts bike" meant that most of the big stuff was missing. But as I bought new/improved stuff for the cafe, those parts ended up in this frame. Matter of fact, the only larger parts I've bought for this were the wheels, tank, and seat pan........

Aaah I see! Mine was a non-roller for about six years since I pulled it apart... ::)

Re: Dirty GR progress

Well, I went to clean up the garage a little (and fix my bench) and the easiest way to do it was to mount the swinger. It will have to come back apart but it was a good chance to check some stuff out. First, the pics:

2011-08-14_16-24-36_28.jpg

2011-08-14_16-24-17_609.jpg

Obviously there's plenty of stuff not mounted- fender, side covers, exhaust, etc. But the first thing I noticed was the lowered ride height. After doing the math, the rear wheel is about 2" smaller in diameter than stock (so there's an inch lower right there). I think my best option might be to get dual sport tires front and rear and ditch the knobs for good. The stock rear size is 130/90, so I would be looking at a 120/90 instead. Opinions?

Rich, she's gonna be a beast! And I mean that in the best possible way :D

That right there looks like you should be tackling a nice steep hill and wheel standing all the way up...

I love it! You're really making me rue only having an 18" front wheel on my scrambler as you should have an excellent choice of dual sport tyres for yours, and that front guard looks great too.

My only criticism/suggestion right now is probably not valid at this stage of the build, but I'll say it anyway which is to try to get some better integration between the seat and tank.

Ha! Thanks Justin. I get that a lot.........

Pete, no worries on the seat. The foam in those pics is the original seat foam which has been cut down a good bit- but I have another stock foam pad as well. I've talked to my local upholstery guy about combining the two and he said it won't be a problem at all. I just don't want to cut down the other seat for pictures (and make his job even tougher!).

Cool, sounds like a plan! I gotta do something about my seat eventually too, but I'll get to that...

I can't wait to see this GR done, gonna be huge Rich! :D

So after cruising around on ebay a little bit, I've ordered the following:
Yamaha petcock (current one doesn't have a reserve!)
some misc. rear brake parts that disappeared in my garage
and a front sprocket cover (all I really need is the clutch adjustment cover)

My problem with the tires is this: if I get an 18" hoop for the rear, the cheapest way is to buy another GT wheel and lace it up. Then buying the Kenda 18" tire and tube on top of that....... OR just get some Bridgestone Trail wings front and rear. They make a 100/90-19 for the front (stock size) and a 120/90-16 for the rear (130/90-16 is stock). The Trail Wings cost a little more per tire, but it saves me from having to buy another GT wheel.........

Aaaah you have the opposite problem to me... you have difficulty finding a 16" rear dual sport right? I have difficulty finding an 18" front dual sport... So far Shinko 244's are my only option but the 3.00-18 is only rated to 75mph...

One comment is I saw several threads in my searching call the Trail wings "Death wings"... not sure what type of Trail wing they were referring to or anything though, and it's the Internet so who knows if the comment is trustworthy?

Remember Pete- the GS wheels are fairly simple to swap out. And 19" dual sports are fairly abundant. Thanks for pointing out the Deathwings reference! I looked into it and it seems like many people had some issues with them off road. Maybe I will just keep the lowered ride height and knobby tires for a short while- since there's no title, it's not street legal anyway, right?

I had a little brainstorm session today: the tires that I mentioned before the Wings (Kenda K761 ?) come in 19" and 18". But I didn't want to buy an 18" wheel JUST to fit them........but I do want to swap out the rear steel wheel on the cafe for aluminum. So I looked on ebay and found one! Will be a fairly straightforward swap over the winter.

In theory yes, but there's actually nothing in common on the front end between the 18" models and 19" models... as in change the wheel means change forks, speedo drive, speedo... and getting that stuff over here is not so easy or cheap either...

I think I'll end up with the Shinko 244's if I can get them, but we'll see... haven't talked to a tyre shop yet...

No probs on the Deathwings, didn't want to see you put them on and come a croppa just because I neglected to mention it...

Sounds like a definite plan on the wheel swap though!

I've heard a lot of comments that the trial wings are bad tires.What exactly makes them a bad tire?Why do so many people hate them?Edumakate me pleaze.

Apparently the grip levels aren't what they should be, or at least that's what I've surmised from what I've read along the way, definitely doesn't fill me with confidence...

I have read the same, they are really too road biased to be dual tires, and even the road grip is questionable. Love the Dirty GR Rich.

Cheers,

Maritime

Back
Top Bottom