"Deborah". First build. 11 CB350's and 360's. So it begins.

Re: 11 CB350's and 360's. And so it begins.

After all the work I hope you pass your test to ride the nice bike you are going to have. Good luck and we all screw something up like your tank at least once, that's how we learn.

Cheers

Maritime

Time to paint the engine. I had it all sand blasted (which should have soda blasted it/hindsights 20/20). Had to ensure that every bit of sand was out or it'll wreck the motor. Tape everything off and bake it. Used the water hose and pressurized air to clean it up. Then ran q-tips through the threads.

Attachments

• IMG_9862.JPG
    IMG_9862.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_9865.JPG
    IMG_9865.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_9867.JPG
    IMG_9867.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_9888.JPG
    IMG_9888.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 233

So this is how my motor turned out. I painted it a vitual chrome. However...I didn't use high temp paint on the lower casings. I feel like a complete retard at this point and I'm envisioning being stopped at a light and dripping chrome all over the pavement while some gorgeous ladies watch in amazment wondering why my engine is melting.

On a positive note, you can see my pretty 67.5 mm oversized Wiseco racing pistons and teflon wrist pin caps. Might save the motor some day.

Attachments

• IMG_9864.JPG
    IMG_9864.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_9871.JPG
    IMG_9871.JPG
    646.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_9874.JPG
    IMG_9874.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 227

No need for high temp paint on the casings. It doesn't get hot enough. High temp paint is for the jugs and heat. Ultra high temp for the exhaust flanges. For the pipes its a ceramic coating or go home; I've never had any rattlecan stuff last on the pipes.

So it was a rough night. I broke a bolt off in the cam housing. Then I tried to drill it and extract it. I broke off the extractor tip in the bolt. Then I tried to drill out the extractor and broke off the drill bit inside the extractor. So I had a bolt, extractor and bit all in a hole. Cost me 50 bucks to get a machine shop to weld a peice on the end and turn it out. crap. Then I tried to get the points cover off and it wouldn't budge. Was so frustrated I beat it with a hammer and broke it. As half of it landed on the floor a screw revealed itself from under the cover lip. Couldn't see it from the angle I was at above the engine. It was like it was taunting me. Felt like grabbing the nearby sledge hammer and teaching it a lesson. Then I realized, the screw doesn't have feelings! It can't "taunt" me. What am I doing?! I'm about to bash in my gorgeous engine. Even though it needs to be repainted cause at this point I'm having nightmares that my chrome is dripping on the road. So I started tearing the motor all down again. Was so close but it's better to do it over now than have regrets every time I look at it. Geez.

Turns out it's a good thing I decided tear it apart again. I had the kickstarter set up wrong where the spindle thingy was wedged in the back and locked up. Also I had left the locating pins out of the crankshaft bearings. Not sure but I could have been road pizza! Everything happens for a reason I guess. Now I thank God that I had to break it down again. Here are also some pics of me sanding out the cylinder head to put in a KA chain tensioner. Took forever with a dremel sanding drum and I ended up using an angle grinder. Fit right in there perfectly. Also a pic of me grinding down the cam housing to put in the Megacycle X5 racing camshaft. I had no idea that it would need to be so heavily modified. Also turns out that I need an adjustable cam sprocket that they sell but I had no idea of at the time. Wasn't even on the site. Would have ordered it at the same time. Another $155!!

Attachments

• IMG_9879.JPG
    IMG_9879.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 232
  • IMG_9875.JPG
    IMG_9875.JPG
    511.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_9861.JPG
    IMG_9861.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_9853.JPG
    IMG_9853.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 224

So I called my sand blasting guy on a Sunday afternoon. He agreed to come in and blast the motor for me again. Cost me 100 bucks but I put in a few rims, tool box, chain guard and kick stand. Had everything back, cleaned AGAIN including the threads and powdered to go in the oven by the evening. Should look a lot better. At least I'll sleep better not dreaming of dripping chrome paint.

Attachments

• IMG_9873.JPG
    IMG_9873.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_9887.JPG
    IMG_9887.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_9891.JPG
    IMG_9891.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_9893.JPG
    IMG_9893.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 217

Turning out nice. Opened up my hand on a piston ring and bled all over the motor. Cut pretty deep. You can see a bit of blood on the rag.

Between waiting for parts to bake I was trying to get the wheel bearing race of my hub. Pain in the ass!! The wrench is no longer supplied by Honda and I can't find any on ebay or google. I guess most guys use a screw driver and hammer I tried that and screwed up the holes. I made a tool by drilling out new holes in an angle grinder wrench and moving the existing nubs into them. It fits but still doesn't work all that well. I have an appointment today with a machinist to investigate making a new one that'll fit on a 1/2 inch socket.

Attachments

• IMG_9905.JPG
    IMG_9905.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_9894.JPG
    IMG_9894.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_9881.JPG
    IMG_9881.JPG
    659.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_9895.JPG
    IMG_9895.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 210

Dude. You gotta post more before dropping cash. :)

lol. I know. Hey I figured I was building a race bike for VRRA. Then realized that I don't want my bike or me getting trashed. I still have those 32mm Mikunis I got from you in the boxes. Not sure if they'll work now or not.

For a race bike, possibly. On the street, probably not.

Check out this tuning guide from Mikuni: http://www.mikunioz.com/download/pdf_files/vmmanual.pdf

According to them... you need to be putting out about 30hp per cylinder before the VM32s really come into their own.

Also painted a gas tank. Took it off one of the newer models, as oppossed to the 1970 that is. Painted it chrome, then candy red (transparent) then a clear coat over it. I screwed up and sealed the inside of the tank first. All the sealer melted and burned in the oven. It was horrible. Had to muriatic acid inside and reseal. Also did the gas cap in chrome paint.

Attachments

• 178572_10151919161010385_1860213196_o.jpg
    178572_10151919161010385_1860213196_o.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 241989_10151919147895385_1202211976_o.jpg
    241989_10151919147895385_1202211976_o.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 209

Sonreir said:
No need for high temp paint on the casings. It doesn't get hot enough. High temp paint is for the jugs and heat. Ultra high temp for the exhaust flanges. For the pipes its a ceramic coating or go home; I've never had any rattlecan stuff last on the pipes.

Well that's nice to know. Would have saved me some zzz's. You're right. I need to post more. I just didn't want to bother anyone and feel stupid. Seemed like a real bonehead move. lol. Well that original chrome on the lower cases looked sweet ass and I've got another 10 bikes to do.

Sonreir said:
For a race bike, possibly. On the street, probably not.

Check out this tuning guide from Mikuni: http://www.mikunioz.com/download/pdf_files/vmmanual.pdf

According to them... you need to be putting out about 30hp per cylinder before the VM32s really come into their own.

Well I might get into a cb 750 when these ones are done. So I guess I'll have some 32's for it. Actually won't I possibly be pushing 30 hp per with all the upgrades I'm doing?

You're expecting for 30hp per cylinder? Not even close. A top notch CB350 racer pushes 50hp with both cylinders.

Lol. I wouldn't say "expecting". I honestly didn't have much of an idea. 50 would be good though. I'd take that. lol

Getting 40hp at the rear wheel would be an achievement.

VM32s are still too big for a CB750 (it has four cylinders). 30hp per cylinder on a CB350 would be almost double the hp. I suppose it's possible, but it's very, very, very unlikely. You would have to drop tens of thousands into the bike to get that kind of power out of it.

It's academic, but it would make for an interesting discussion. In my opinion, the best way to achieve that level of power on a 350 would be to go with a forced induction option (turbo, supercharger, or nitrous). All of those options don't generally require larger diameter carbs, though, so lets set those aside for a moment.

To get 60hp out of a naturally aspirated 350 it's going to come down to revs. Horsepower is mathematically calculated based on torque and rotational speed of the crank. HP = (RPM x Torque) / 5252. To get the highest possible power out of an engine we want the torque to be highest at the highest possible RPM (this will make the bike unridable, or at least very little fun to ride, but ignore that for now). Peak torque occurs when an engine is operating at its highest volumetric efficiency (most fresh air and fuel in the cylinder, per cycle) and any parasitic losses (pumping, drag, etc) are kept to a minimum. Peak HP occurs at 10,500 RPM and we can calculate out the torque to be 18ft/lbs at that point in the RPM band. It's a simple matter of altering the formula to decide what to change in order to achieve the required HP goal.

For instance, lets say we want to hit 60hp and we can keep the torque at 18ft/lbs and the parasitic losses even throughout the RPM range (impossible, but bear with me). Our formula now changes to 60 = (RPM * 18) / 5252. Solving for RPM gives us a goal of 17,506 RPM. Now lets assume we can increase the volumetric efficiency in the upper RPM range and increase torque to 20ft/lbs. Now we only need 15,756 RPM in order to hit 60hp. Still damn tough, but certainly more possible than 18K.

Lol. Ok. Well I'm not shooting for anything like that. The reason I got the 32mm though is because TONS of guys already use them on their race bikes. It's not like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel or anything. I did look into all this before shelling out bucks. It might not be awesome on the road sitting at a stop light but might be a hell of a ride out in the country.

I'm not trying to get on your case, I'm just trying to inform.

I try not to play "follow the leader" too much when it comes to my approach to building. There's a lot to be said for sticking with what's tried and true, but the very definition of coming in first place is that you're not following anyone else. I figure that applies to what goes on my bike as well.

If everyone else is doing something, your first task it to understand why they're doing it. If no answer can be found, nine times out of ten the reason is because they saw someone else doing it, too, and they didn't want to be left out or left behind. For a successful build, it is imperative you understand the parts you're putting on your bike, how they operate, and the role they have to play with the whole of your changes. Honda spent a lot of money on a lot of skilled engineers over the course of a lot of hours to bring the CB350 to market. It takes some balls and some know-how before you can say to yourself, "Yeah, I can do better than that".

Yeah, you're right. I agree. I wasn't trying to be snippy with you either if that's how it came across. I'm just sick of hearing about the carbs being too big. Bothers me that I had the chance to get the 30's from you and went with the 32's cause that's what so many race guys actually used on their bikes. These things are still in the boxes so maybe I'll put them up for sale. If you know anyone let me know.

Back
Top Bottom