First ever cafe build progress report

Where does this go???

Attachments

• wire 1.jpg
    wire 1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,441
Todays lessen learned: Masking tape and a Sharpie to label harness connectors, along with digital photos or cell phone pics are wonderful tools during disassembly. ;)
I've toasted too many brain cells over the years to depend on my memory for such things. ;D

OK, this sounds bad, but this project has gone on for so long, that my masking tape/Sharpie labels are illegible. Yes, the lettering has bled into the tape over time and turned into mini-Rorschach ink blots.

Update: I had to cut on my seat because it is so wide, the edges really dig into the insides of the thighs. I kept thinking all this time that once upholstered, I wouldn't feel it. Since the rear ride height has been raised a bit, the harsh edges of the seat were unbearable when straddling the bike. Sitting on it was fine, but once I had to put my feet down, ouch! So, I trimmed the sides to the width of the subframe. Now my worries are that the seat has lost it's rigidity because of the loss of the lip.

Ok, my bike has been apart for so long that either my labels are illegible, or I have misplaced a part here and there. Anyway, who knows where this wire goes? And on the starter solenoid, I'm guessing there is supposed to be a heavy gauge wire that goes from this post to the starter motor? And were on the starter motor does it attach???

I found these pics of a wiring harness and the wire in question is labeled with a "Where does this wire go, wire". Ha!

Attachments

• mystery wire.jpg
    mystery wire.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,473
  • mystery post.jpg
    mystery post.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,452
  • wiring loom 7.jpg
    wiring loom 7.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,551
There should only be one nutted wire post on your starter, it's on the side... that is where the heavy gauge cable from the solenoid goes to.

Green wire is not used, everyone wonders where is goes, hence the name. ;) It can be seen here going nowhere... top right below the starter relay and the turn signal relay

cb750cwiring-1.jpg

Looks like a ground. Should be a bolt hole close enough to attach it to the frame. Clean all the paint from that spot and bolt it down with di-electric grease. Unless that is a spade connector then it needs the female end.

No, it's not a spade, but a ring terminal. It's just turned sideways. I kinda thought it may be a ground, but being green, I wasn't so sure.

Thanks, fellers! I was hoping for a start up this weekend, but too much to do around the homestead. I did connect the Ballistic battery and hit the starter a couple of times. Power getting to the starter motor. Nice sound to hear. However, I did not get any juice to the head light.

Planned to start up the cb all freakin' weekend. Wouldn't you know it? The last day of a 4 day mini holiday was my only chance. Wifey took the kids shopping! WOOT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myQEL8DDMX8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Looking great! Jealous over here. Can't imagine the sense of accomplishment you must be feeling after 4 years! I admire your dedication. Keeps guys like me only a few months in motivated.

The tank you see is the original that I plan on selling once the bike is done. The tank I'm going to use has knee pockets. I have the wiring finished and will have the under tail powder coated black. Still toying with the idea of powder coating the rear sets black as well. Dunno. I still have to sort out the front brake/master cylinder, fab up an instrument bracket (and wire up the idiot lights I bought from Carpy), and finally, the most expensive thing left, having the tank and seat painted (almost forgot upholstery!). Saturday, I spent an hour hammering in some pockets for clip-on clearance. An afterthought. That is one good thing about having a project sit around for a long time, you can change some stuff you don't like, or you notice something that isn't going to work and you have time to address it. I figure, by the time this bike is done, I won't be second guessing myself. Ha!

Back
Top Bottom