First wiring diagram-will it work

JunkKing

Hey all, I am building my first bike and i'm on to the fun part, wiring it up.
Although I am mechanically inclined I don't have much experience with wiring at all and figuring this out for the first time is a uphill battle, so any advice or help is appreciated.
The bike is a 1980 GS550 and I am using a M unit to wire it up. This caused a bit of confusion because I have to run some of the wires a bit different than stock, but after some research with the oem wire diagram I came up with this. This is just for the ignition-starter-charging too. I will figure out the controls and lights separately once I know this is right

My concerns so far are if that is the correct way to wire from the starter/kill switch to the igniter and coils, the oem wiring differs there because of the oem fuse box, and whether to start with a 15 or 30 amp fuse off the battery, ive seen people use both.

Attachments

• mydiagram.jpg
    mydiagram.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 269
Starter/kill switch will need to be wired a bit differently.

For the m-unit, the default setup is that the start button also doubles as the kill switch. The wire from the START input to the start button is correct, but the other button for the start button (if you have one) should be grounded. The output from the AUX should go directly to the ignition coils and the ignition unit.

Gotcha, the more I looked at it the more I thought that would be the problem. In the oem setup the orange wire goes from the ignition switch right to the starter/kill switch, so I wasn't sure what would connect on to the orange wire on the switch now.
I edited it, is this correct now?

Attachments

• mydiagram1.png
    mydiagram1.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 212
Better. I don't think you need the orange/white leading to the kill switch, though. All you need is the green/yellow.

Back
Top Bottom