Re: Yamaha xs400 (Tracker/dual sport) VIDEO!

Re: Yamaha xs400 (Tracker/dual sport)

Yeah, Pete I think the trellis would look cool, and it would be good to add some strength. The only problem is...... Ive got builders block. I can decide how to finish the back. Should I go with the tracker look (seat all the way to the end of the frame), or should I make some sort of tail piece/hump. I have no Idea what to do. I really want it to be unique, yet functional. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

How about something like this?
dogbike170-400.jpg

Hmmmm... Interceptor I really like that...

However, those number boards would hide the trellis...

Here's what I reckon, and take it with a grain of salt ok? :)

The seat you put on there to mock it up on the previous page looks too long, and the tank looks too short, but I really like the looks of that little hump on the seat.

My suggestion is do what I saw Hoosier Daddy suggest in another thread (I think it was him anyway) and fab up an extension for the tank in fibreglass or aluminium so you can hide your electrics under there. Then shorten the seat pan the same amount at the front, and they should be able to blend in nicely together and that would leave your nice trellis work exposed underneath :)

See how the tank in Interceptor's pic is less of a steep angle at the rear heading towards the seat? That's what I'm thinking you need to do for the tank shape...

If I was any good with The GIMP I'd do you a mock up but I'm pretty crap at it... so I hope you can imagine what I mean...

That is a sweet bike, Interceptor. Yeah I get what your saying Pete, What you said about stretching the look of the tank has got me thinking. I also like the part about putting the electrics in there. Before I came in and read your post I started working on a prototype seat. I welded on a rear hoop and started prepping for fiberglass. I still don't know which way im going but I really do appreciate all the ideas, guys. I will get some pics up tomorrow.

This is one possible seat I am working On. I know its not pretty, but If I go with this design I will make a mold from this shell. I know it looks long But once the seat pad is on i think it will look good. I also wanted to have a seat similar in length to a motocross bike so I have room to slide around. I also wanted it to be long enough to keep my back from getting covered in mud.
DSC_0176.jpg
DSC_0177.jpg
DSC_0178.jpg
DSC_0179.jpg
DSC_0180.jpg
DSC_0181.jpg
DSC_0182.jpg
DSC_0183.jpg
I made the side panels long enough to cover the frame. I can always trim them to expose the tubing. I just had to do something to get my juices flowing.
DSC_0184.jpg

I like it. It's a step forward, which always feels good. Like you said, you can always trim it later if need be. What are your plans with the exhaust again?

Not sure on exhaust. I thought about doing duals like a crf250. I also thought about under tail single exit exhaust. I want it to be unique but practicle and protected. Any thoughts

I think this thing is screaming for duals, one on each side. Easy enough to weld on a hanger right now, too.

Man I like the seat! I say stick with it, but I'd still bring the rear of the tank out a bit... but that's just my opinion so feel free to disregard :)

Of course you know my thoughts on the exhaust already too ;)

Well this is my first try at making a mold. It seems to be going good so far. I will be laying the glass as soon as it sets up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

102_5234.jpg
102_5233.jpg
102_5232.jpg

O laid the glass last night. I hope it turns out ok. This is all new for me. I'll keep you posted.

102_5238.jpg

Looks like good work there!

The good thing with fibreglass is that you can keep adding more layers until you're happy with the strength. It's also easy to sand it back and add some layers of body filler to make it all nice and smooth.

The bad thing is it's god-awful stuff to work with, messy, and if you get it on your skin it itches like mad...

Still glad I used it for my tail piece though :D

Still need to finish my seat, but i just got an awesome deal on part of my exhaust on ebay. This is a picture of the mufflers i will be using, they will be in about the same location.
images.jpg

Carbs and exhaust will be here soon, I will be working on my seat pan some more this weekend. In the mean time, Ive trying to decide what to do with the headlight. I thought about just runnung the xs400 bucket. I think it would look cooler that the xt's rectangular light. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Yeah I thought about doing dual headlights. Ok so Ive decided to ditch the glass seat. It just wasnt what I wanted. I went crawling back to my old friend....Sheet metal. I whipped up a seat pan, and I really like it. I am also really excited about something that came in the mail today!

DSC_0167.jpg
DSC_0168.jpg
DSC_0169.jpg
DSC_0170.jpg
DSC_0171.jpg

I'm a fan of round headlights myself...

Liking the seat pan! Really suits it... and nice carbs :D

Back
Top Bottom