anyone in the photography club?

hurley209 said:
rad man, i think you just motivated me,
but the question is, how much should i list my cameras for?
ive seen the bronica sell for different prices, and the rebel, well idk.

Two places you can look to get an idea of their value: First, if you're registered on eBay, sign in and go to 'Advanced Search'. Next, type in your cameras under the search engine, then click on the box that says 'Completed Listings', and then you'll see what they've sold for on eBay and you can compare what you have with what's sold on eBay. You can also check keh.com. They are the world's largest sellers of used camera equipment, and their prices are pretty much in line with the current camera values. As well, if you have additional lenses, accessories etc, then of course that will add to the overall value, and as I'm sure you're aware condition is everything.

Just found this ETRS on eBay that sold -- they seem to be in this general price range, but here again, if you have a meter prism, 220 back, hood, accessories, that adds to the value:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ZENZA-BRONICA-ETRS-CAMERA-/220742383216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3365457670#ht_500wt_1156

And is it the Canon Rebel T2 that you have? If so, I couldn't find one on eBay, though I did see the T2i.

KEH has T2 bodies: http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-CE029990722150?r=FE
Poke around their site to see if they have anything that is similar to what you have, and go from there.

I have a D40 with a few lens'. I moved in to a temporary place so I haven't shot for almost four months. Around the same time I moved I got the new iPhone 4 and I have to say... I'm very impressed with the results for a camera phone. Went on a hike this weekend and got this:

ebc649c4.jpg

What makes all the lights look foggy like that? I love it. With the lenses that I've got turn bright lights into cheesy stars.

mysta2 said:
Even with stationary lights? Cool, I'll have to play around with that more.

assuming you guys are talking about my photo?
its mostly the long exposure that does that. No flash. just the lights from on coming traffic and street lamp over head..
If memories serves me right, it was about 4sec shutter at f/3.5 and at 400iso. no special filters, just a UV filter on a the standard Canon EFS 18-55mm lens that comes with the Rebel.
If you look close enough, even the street lamps on the bridge have starburst a little.
I really hope to go back after my build is all done and do another photo.. kinda a before and after photo.. HAHAHA

It's caused by over exposure of the highlights (car lights) and the clouds looking soft is caused by them moving during the long exposure. If you set your aperture to f16 or f22 the street lamps will give you a full on star effect plus you'll get more movement in the clouds as your exposure will be longer. This is also how you get the effect when photographing a stream or the ocean.

I hired a model and spent some time at the Army surplus to pull this one off. Have a whole set over on the bucket and Model Mayhem. I like this one the best.

_MG_5654.jpg

These are for from my workplace, took them for a broshure. I work as a designer though.
Olympus DSLR with old OM manual lens.

5618937924_dc151414b3_z.jpg

5618351475_3057a3b1f6_z.jpg

5618937544_36743e18dd_z.jpg

5618351259_5c7250e7bf_z.jpg

5618351081_1afb58f488_z.jpg

5618349537_5a0f270dd8_z.jpg

I recently bought an Oly e-pl1 PEN. It uses the micro 4/3 system, and I have to say I am hooked. I have used a D7, several EOS cameras and the like, but honestly, this is my favorite. I spent more on lenses than the camera, but the results are insanely good. I'll get some shots up soon.

Few shots from today. The wide angle shots are using a 9-18mm f4.0 lens. The macros are all done using a 20mm pancake f1.7. Really bought this lens for night shooting, but my god, the bokeh is amazing. All of these are un-edited, just converted to J-PEG from a RAW file

tinkerbelle.jpg

burnedout2.jpg

burnedaway.jpg

fromwhatoncehung.jpg

latchnomore.jpg

MissCleo.jpg

letmein.jpg

whiteflowerbokeh2.jpg

whatweoncesaw.jpg

railmacro.jpg

kudzu.jpg

Kiley, you're a man of many talents.

I just recently bought a 'real' camera, albeit not a traditional SLR. I picked up one of the new Sony a55's - they call it an SLT, as the mirror is translucent and fixed in place. It reflects a small portion of the incoming light up to the AF system, so you get continuous phase-shift AF. As a result it has 10 fps capabilities and has great AF while taking video, which was important to me.

Anyhow - the kit lens is fine, but nothing special. Typical 18-55 f3.5-5.6 lens.

I've got a couple other lenses coming from eBay.

A Sigma 75-200 f2.8-3.5 which I hope to use indoors at my daughter's gymnastics competitions (I'm not kidding myself that I'll get anything special with it, but it's gotta be better than the 18-55 3.5 lens. I got this one for $100.

For $25, I managed to snag another Sigma, a 70-300 f4-5.6. Apparently the only thing 'wrong' with it is that when you turn the AF on or off, it makes a 'noise'. Told that it works just fine, so for my $25 I'll take a gamble on it for longer reach outdoors this summer.

For day to day shooting indoors and out, what's the best all-round thing to go with? A really wide low f stop lens? I like the wide angles, and am getting used to not having the silly 20-30x zooms like I had on my old Canon SX20IS.

Hey Tim!

The a55 is an awesome cam. I know a pro shooter who loves his, and he is an advertising guy, so to me that is saying something. It is similar to what I am using. I shoot mostly micro 4/3 now, and because of it, I feel like I am in love with photography again....or rather they suit my style of shooting better. I own a couple of true DSLR cameras, but honestly, they don't shoot as well (for me) as the two m4/3 cameras that I have. My two bodies are an Olympus E-PL1 and a Panasonic GH2. They are a lot like the Sony A series cameras in that they are an alternative mirror system. They also offer an auto focus with their native lenses (which I use a lot doing candid photography when my subject doesn't stay still when I ask them ;D ). They also will do full MF which all of the above were shot with.

I have found in the lenses that I shoot, that 10mm is about the sweet spot as far as the wide angle increment goes. If you can find one at f2.0 or below you will have an awesome lens. They will probably be pricey at that f range though. I love shooting wide angle, and find myself using it more than most, just because of the offered perspective that it gives. The one I use is an f4.0, and it it crisp edge to edge. Anything below 9mm starts looking fisheye, which is cool, but it's kind of gimmicky for everyday use. Recently I bought the 20mm fixed zoom f1.7 pancake and I'm telling you man, it is the business. It has a minimum focus distance of somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5", so macros are perfect and crisp along with beautiful de-focused bokeh behind the macro subject. But then the focal length will become sharp when shooting more of a panorama too which makes it awesome for everyday shooting and walk around photography. You've already started getting used to the lack of insane focus length, so using your feet to do the zooming is really just another step to me. The beauty of it is that it is FAST. The only downfall to these "alternative mirror" cameras to me is the low light difficulty that it has, but a super fast lens below the 2.0 range will completely fix the problem. It was a revelation to me to find that out.

I'd love to see some of what you shoot man. Photography these days has fallen into a close second to bikes in the things that I have fallen in love with. There is just something about the perspective of the world it gives you. The world just seems to become more beautiful.

The next lens I buy will be something in the 75-300 range, as my kit lense is the longest I have at 45, and sometimes you just need the distance, I'm jealous! Are you using adapted lenses or are all of yours a particular mount? I'm not familiar with what mount the A series cameras use. So far everything I have bought has been native, but I'm considering branching out into full manual lenses since I have been using that most lately anyway, and the lenses can be had for MUCH cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom