Thumper, V-twin, Inline 4 Cafe racer

I said nothing about American built bikes. Reading comprehension is very helpful when entering an argument, for there may be no argument at all.

Again, in my opinion, most British bikes are ugly and unreliable.

just a wild guess but me thinks the TT and other ,british real road racing(irish that is ) is what influenced the original calf racers . :)
and i think a big single is the best rep personally
alan-barnett---1968-british.jpg

31376d1388096492-motorcycle-story-golden-years-011-awaiting-start-evening-practice-period-1-iom-tt-june-1956.jpg

2014-mann-hailwood-motorcycles-to-bonhams-8.jpg

this here "M" brand whatever that is :) is one of the best looking mc 'sand engine ever made bar none . in my hoe

xb33bsa said:
just a wild guess but me thinks the TT and other ,british real road racing is what influenced the original calf racers . :)
and i think a big single is the best rep personally
alan-barnett---1968-british.jpg
How DARE you attempt to get this thread back on track XB.

I think that picture says a lot. Yes yes, british singles and twins. Replicas of road racers that were "raced" from bar to bar. NOT inline 4's. NOT sport bikes. Wish I had thought to say stuff like that a long time ago. ::)

miffa said:
perhaps young sir there's a language barrier between us with me being british

hope i get this right....

mr gansta rap AKA DOHC

yo ho homey, yawl Dipping in the Kool Aid bro n actin all Monkey Mouth on me
Oh wow. So a racist as well eh? Super cool man. I bet you just gained so many admirers!

Just a recap of some of my "monkey mouth" opinions. Please tell me which one you disagree with, homey.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

DohcBikes said:
Very rarely does an inline 4 "cafe build" end up being authentic
DohcBikes said:
My favorite configuration for an authentic Cafe Racer is BY FAR a parrallel twin.
DohcBikes said:
An R1 is not a Cafe Racer.
DohcBikes said:
Although a few wiki hipsters think that sportbikes evolved from cafe racers, that simply is not true. Cafe racers were amateur copies of real sport bikes.

In all seriousness, does it REALLY matter? The ONLY reason the bikes you all agree are the real cafe racers were used is because that was what people had available to them right? If Johnny Bull in '65 had access to a Z1 or an RD400 you'd bet your ass they'd be selling those BSAs and Nortons in a heartbeat.

I get that if "tradition" is your deal then yeah, try and replicate exactly what was shaking way back when. But, if the general spirit of the culture is what is intriguing than faster, lighter, better is the name of the game. Build a Japanese I4. Build a VTwin something or other. Just make it better and faster.

It's like when all the hot rod guys talk shit on the import guys. And I don't mean the Civic with a fart can and fucked up paint job folks. I mean the, my Supra is BUILT and has 900hp guys. Same result, different tool.

At the end of the day though, who gives a shit? Is it somehow a sense of pride for you that you've built a 60s era custom based on 40s era tech? Radness. Happy for ya and hope to see you on the road! Please don't judge us neophytes and our fancy new fangled contraptions too harshly. ;)

in my opinion all that matters is the calf bike handles and performs significantly better than off the showroom floor and it gets rode
this eliminates 98% of the cafe bikes you see anywhere :-\

miffa said:
Well Mr Fish

....it surprises me on why you would waste your valuable time on a site that as dedicated its self to cafe racers and its culture when your so negative and offensive regarding its history , surely that's a insult to DTT

Oh? Don't get me wrong sir. I don't do serious, but I do love all two and the occasional 3 wheel cycles with an enormous passion and if I offended anyone... I do apologize, but it wont change history as it's told.

I agree, you win :eek:

Cafe Racer started as a description of a design style, it began with a few examples and as it has become more popular, the envelop of what looks/is a Cafe Racer has evolved, just as what a sport bike has evolved, same with just about every genre of bike or car design.
If we were talking traditional Cafe bikes, then yes, there are only a spicific number of designs/models that will fit that, IE. British singles and twins, but the OP didn't use the word/term "Traditional"
winwin said:
Need opinions, which engine makes the best cafe racer, and why? :)
So that opens it up to the modern interpretation of what a Cafe Racer is.
The best motor really depends on the style/look you want from your bike, the motor is the heart of the bike, and really helps set the tone for the bike, the frame and bodywork provides stance and attitude,sometimes things look out of place when the wrong choice is made, or the the execution is off, when everything is right, or executed masterfully it can be magical.
My preference for best motor: "Twins Basil Twins"
33bca7449d0e913017b8aac8f55f5928.jpg

Parallels, opposing, or V's(longitudinal or transverse).

J-Man said:
Cafe Racer started as a description of a design style, it began with a few examples and as it has become more popular, the envelop of what looks/is a Cafe Racer has evolved, just as what a sport bike has evolved, same with just about every genre of bike or car design.
If we were talking traditional Cafe bikes, then yes, there are only a spicific number of designs/models that will fit that, IE. British singles and twins, but the OP didn't use the word/term "Traditional"So that opens it up to the modern interpretation of what a Cafe Racer is.
The best motor really depends on the style/look you want from your bike, the motor is the heart of the bike, and really helps set the tone for the bike, the frame and bodywork provides stance and attitude,sometimes things look out of place when the wrong choice is made, or the the execution is off, when everything is right, or executed masterfully it can be magical.
My preference for best motor: "Twins Basil Twins"
33bca7449d0e913017b8aac8f55f5928.jpg

Parallels, opposing, or V's(longitudinal or transverse).
Do you by any chance sell used cars for a living?

Back
Top Bottom