Help! CB 550 ignition shenanigans

buffalobo

So, my ignition switch only works in the "park" position. Took it apart (twice) cleaned it. Still, when in the on position I get nothing. Not even a signal from the red or middle terminal. Has anyone had this happen? I've never "had" to by a new switch and I don't want to start now.

When you say it "works" in the park position, you mean that's when the bike runs? Or just the tail light comes on? If it runs in the park position, you've got crossed up wiring somewhere.

Fuses are good. Took the switch off and jumped the wires, everything works. I polished the contacts inside the switch and still only get a signal when in park position. I know other people have had this problem but can't find any resolution. Maybe the contacts are too worn?

buffalobo said:
Fuses are good. Took the switch off and jumped the wires, everything works. I polished the contacts inside the switch and still only get a signal when in park position. I know other people have had this problem but can't find any resolution. Maybe the contacts are too worn?

Possible.

You can check the switch with a multimeter by measuring resistance between the black and red wires with the switch in the 'on' position. No reading = dead switch. Resistance should be just under an Ohm on a good switch.

Check the soldered connections on the back.
They often look fine but the clip holding all the wires together doesn't let the broken one all down ;)

So I think I have eliminated the switch. Even when jumping red to any other wire ( except park light) I get nothing. Not even signal from red. Could this be a bad regulator? How can I check?

buffalobo said:
So I think I have eliminated the switch. Even when jumping red to any other wire ( except park light) I get nothing. Not even signal from red. Could this be a bad regulator? How can I check?

Not sure I understand what you've done to check things here. Did you do a continuity test on the switch of were you checking voltage and found no power on the red wire?

Im using a voltmeter. Running essentially a continuity test. I have jumped the red around on all other switch connections and I'm not getting a signal. Even when I test the red wire while it is jumped across to black. I get no signal until I get past the fuse. Removed the jump (red dead end) it has 12ish v. So what the hell...

Disconnect the black. 12v back again all the way to the switch. As if the red blacks out between switch and fuse when connected to black.

The red should be going direct to battery and always have ~12v, ignition on or off.
Is the aftermarket switch designed for Honda?
If it's generic it's very doubtful the colours are correct.
How many wires on switch and what are the colours?
If I remember correctly you should only have
Red, power in
Black, power out to fuse box and main bus
Brown (getting power from main bus), power for lights
Brown/white tracer (getting power direct from Red) parking lights

Thanks all for your input! Turns out po had done some "repairs" inside the harness and had soldered the wires ass backwards. Poor guy, looks like he spent a lot of time on it but just had it all wrong. Headlight fuse ran into the starter, solenoid was wire to the brake switch. Replaced wires with or Honda wires just wrong spot. Oh well. A lot cheaper fix than a reg/rec. Thank god

Back
Top Bottom